Thread: Re encoding Mpeg w/mp3 audio

Re endoning Mpeg w/mp3 audio

When I re-encode a file to Mpeg w/MP3 audio using Toaster the file file plays back jumpy in Toaster but when I play the file in WMP it plays fine. The original file was encoded using Toasters default settings through the composite inputs on my MiniBob. The output file also has a .avi extension shouldn't it be a MPEG extension. Also what is the best way to output a project so it can be put on DVD(Mpeg2).

I've seen the Toaster do that before, but when you play files in Windows Media player, you can configure the toaster under prefrences to play the output of Windows Media Player out onto a NTSC monitor.

To make a DVD you should first convert to RTV, take that into TMPEG, and make it into an MPEG. Very, very, brief overview, but if you search the forum you'll find some info.
    Faraz Ahmed - Amitrace
    www.Amitrace.com

Thank You

But, I tried to change the preferences to output WMP to NTSC monitor but it didn't work any suggestions?

Thanks again!!!

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar

MJPEG isn't MPEG

Well, considering that the Toaster can NOT render out to MPEG directly, and the fact that the extension is ".avi", I'm willing to bet you rendered to M-JPEG.

Also, MP3 is NOT an audio format that goes with the MPEG-2 video on DVD anyway. MPEG-1 Layer 2 however, is, though not truely in the spec.

You need to use TMPGEnc or another encoder to encode MPEG-2 for DVD.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

What is M-JPEG anyway?

And why doesn't it play back in Toaster(or should I say one particular file wouldn't play back)? Other files I rendered since then play back fine. Only plays back in wmp.

I have used TEMPEG to render .m2v Mpeg 2 files with great success. I'm using Impressions DVD Pro to make .img files I burn in Nero 5.5 but for some reason I can't burn DVDs directly from Impressions. I think it has something to do with the fact I have 2 Sony DRU500AX drives so it can't figure out wich is default DVD burner. But it works out great because I have successfully burned 2 DVD copies simulatiously at 4x.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar

M-JPEG

M-JPEG is Motion JPEG. It was the most commonly used compression format for analog video in NLE systems before DV came along, and still can be quite useful, especially in a Toaster system.

The MS provided M-JPEG codec sucks. If you want to use M-JPEG, you should buy the PicVideo M-JPEG codec, it is the best one out there. That codec at a quality factor of 19 is of comparable quality to DV with less storage space used. At a quality factor of 20 it is superior quality to DV with a little more storage space used.

www.jpg.com

As for why one of your M-JPEG renders won't play, well, the MS codec isn't a very efficient implementation of M-JPEG, so that could be the reason.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions