Thread: Nehalem Xeon's available

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar

Nehalem Xeon's available

Newegg have the new Nehalem Xeon's available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...8&name=Nehalem

Boxx have also announced their Nehalem based workstations...at an astonishing price: http://www.boxxtech.com/products/3DB...cCampaign=4741

Looks like the BOXX workstations are almost double a Mac Pro (2.26ghz - 8 core) at over $6k for a 12gb, single HD model. I was hoping to get a new workstation from them but the prices are crazy...I'll either get a Mac and install a decent graphics card and Windows or build my own and use my BOXX case.

I guess this has been asked many times, but I still do not have an answer. I asked it in 2006 when I first bought Lightwave, and I got answers both ways. I settled on a Velocity Micro game machine with a Intell 6700 processor and an 8800GTX video card. I have no idea if it was the right price. Next year, I plan to upgrade again. Which is better for Lightwave/Photoshop: 1.Go back to Velocity Micro which has given me fantastic service and buy a $4000 game machine. 2. Invest in something like Boxx, which I researched in 2006, with a Xeon and professional graphics card. 3. Buy a Mac with its limited video card selection which would mean that I would have to buy Windows because I cannot justify changing Excel/Access/Mathematica which I have invested lots of money and time learning.

I'm glad my English teacher didn't see that last post. I have been researching for days whether to upgrade to Core. Right now, my answer seems to be no for now but yes sometime next fall. As for Velocity Micro, I love the company, but it seems a little silly to own a game machine when I loathe computer games. My machine has worked ok for Lightwave, but I will never make a dime off 3d, and I think I would settle this whole thing by selling Lightwave and buying Houndi 3d Apprentice, but that program will not run on my machine. I got one version of the free demo up for about a month(although it took forever to load) and was ready to choke up the $99, but then the next minor upgrade came out. It took a minute or two to load and crashed almost immediately. I finally took it off my machine. That set me to wondering: would it have worked if I had a professional machine? I assume that it has to work on some kind of machine or people wouldn't pay $7000 for the commercial version.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    OrvilleB: Lightwave will run on almost anything, if you're not using it professionally and don't need problems fixed immediately then any modern computer will be fine. The advantage with BOXX is that the machines are more-or-less guaranteed to work with your chosen CG application and have knowledgable support staff and excellent warranty should anything go wrong...ideal when you rely on the computer to run a business.

Neverko, I used a QuadroFX 1700 as it was the closest to the terrible cards offered by Apple. Adam at BOXX has said on CGTalk that the difference is closer to $400 but I honestly can't get lower than £1000...that's £'s and the UK Mac prices are higher than the states.

BTW, I didn't give the link but Lenovo announced their new workstations which were very reasonably priced.

Wow, looks like these chips will be expensive. Its funny how Apple is the cheaper and more affordable solution. Looks like the best way to get a computer with these chips is to buy a Mac Pro for Vista. Ironic.

Edit - Didn't read the other post, I guess my post only applies in the US.

IO Interactive
    the mac pro is vastly inferior to the boxx solution. even if you upgrade the mac you end up with a way slower machine and a horrific graphics card in comparison and now its suddenly above the $8000 and still less powerful.

/stone