Thread: 3D apps and SLi configurations.

3D apps and SLi configurations.

Can someone kindly explain to me why 3D applications can't make full use of a dual vga card combo to speed up screen interactivity ?

Why can't such a combo speed up things like cloth or dynamics simulation in the apps if they can do it for games ?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard that SLi works only with full-screen apps like games, and not with windowed applications.

Perhaps if a pro app opened its own screen independent of the OS desktop then this performance could be utilized...?
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

Quote Originally Posted by melvinch View Post
    Can someone kindly explain to me why 3D applications can't make full use of a dual vga card combo to speed up screen interactivity ?
    Without going into specific detail, the new LW CORE product will do just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by melvinch View Post
    Why can't such a combo speed up things like cloth or dynamics simulation in the apps if they can do it for games ?
    As for dynamics/animation/rendering, we haven't been told exactly what the usage will be, but rumor has it that this will also be available in the new CORE product.

Quote Originally Posted by Liber777
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard that SLi works only with full-screen apps like games, and not with windowed applications.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Liber777
    Perhaps if a pro app opened its own screen independent of the OS desktop then this performance could be utilized...?
    Yup

Keep in mind, SLI (Scalable Link Interface) is not the only way to utilize one or more GPU's.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Thanks for all the quick answers !

Looks like CORE is really going hard-core this time....

I guess finally people with latest NVidia cards will get to utilize CUDA for something :-)