Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skype on Monitors During live Streaming

Newbie Member

Skype on Monitors During live Streaming

Any suggestions on how to use skype through the ivga to get the monitors to go live instead of still pictures of people you are interviewing in another city?

I would appreciate any information.
    Thanks,
    pincbubble in Atlanta

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I've been working on this exact thing for about a month now.
    Call me tomorrow or send me email so I can assist you.

[email protected]
    732-479-0938

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    I've been working on this exact thing for about a month now.
    Call me tomorrow or send me email so I can assist you.

[email protected]
    732-479-0938

Take care,
    I hope you would keep this on the Thread as a lot of us have to deal with this from time to time with other web apps.

Bob Haworth

The reason I asked for off Forum was I have created LiveSets to handle this and other web application interaction.
    So I will try to keep what I can on the thread.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

You could move away from iVGA, and just use a video input. Or if you are Leo you could create.... Skypesaurus http://leoville.com/2009/03/16/2197

My method is similar in how to input (SVHS or iVGA) but the difference is I do it with a LiveSet.
    My "News Interview" set allows for a broadcast final out like CNN or FOX.
    I can have two remote feeds via Skype plus the news anchor on screen at the same time and still have titles available to overlay.
    I can also have three remote feeds via Skype and the news anchor but this would max out inputs to the LiveSet and disable overlay capability.

The system would resort to a "Takes" only production again much like the Broadcast news productions.

Equipment would still have to follow the example Leo gives for multiple Skype feeds. A single Sykpe feed can be achieved at a much lesser cost.

Equipment coupled with my "News Interview" set produces a top notch production capable of equaling a broadcast news show.

That was all LIVE production but another process I have developed allows for you to do a remote interview via Skype at Skype quality and then take the footage back to the studio and edit at full resolution to produce a post production remote interview at a high quality or full resolution quality.

Note Skype by far is the fastest and highest quality for being a free remote video feed out there IMHO. That said, quality depends on Internet speed and the studios speed is critical especially if you Skype more than one person and stream live to the web.
    Skypes compression is fabulous as I have tested on a Sprint wireless connected to a laptop at great quality for extreme remote feed situations.

"News Interview" set features;
    - Custom LiveSet news style virtual studio with a set video monitor
    - New style dual box where actor in virtual studio is in one box and another video feed is in the other. If the feed is from a Skype video connection, then the actor can interview the remote feed while in his studio like a broadcast news production
    - New three box with same features as dual box but with shots in the set allowing for interview of one or the other remote Skype feed or three Sykpe feeds in the boxes for a debate again just like the broadcast news productions
    - Skype remote video feeds can see production output as there video input allowing for group debates of two or more
    - Post production remote interview instructions for full resolution of remote location
    *External equipment is needed with a minimum of one extra PC to do a single remote Skype video feed and a video splitter for Skype remote viewing production output.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Hey Jose! put up some example pictures so we can better visualize the look.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I am working on a video sample for it but I'll try and post an image or two.
    The best part of this is I have an actor on a virtual set in a virtual set of PIP boxes
    All other PIP/Dual boxes are of standard feeds mainly main bus and FX bus.
    My LiveSet takes an actor on a green screen and puts them on a virtual set like any other LiveSet but when you go to a PIP shot in the set, the actor stays in the virtual set (without the virtual set monitor) in a med-close camera shot.
    So a remote feed from Skpe can be on the virtual set monitor with the actor talking to it or either actor or remote feed full screen or dual box with actor in a virtual set next to another video feed which can be a Skype feed.
    I've had this in the works for over two months now working out all the kinks mainly when it comes to more than one remote feed. More than one remote feed or video input leverages another LiveSet input resulting in a take only production. From watching every news show that does this type of broadcast, a takes only production is the normal so nothing lost there.
    It does take practice when you go past the two inputs of a LiveSet but no hard to master

PS I knew I would get a lot of interest in this type of LiveSet and I was waiting to unveil it soon as I had all my ducks in a row. Then bam, Pincbubble post the question and forced me to move quickly

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    VERY cool stuff, Jose. Congrats. I can't wait to see some screenshots, man.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Thanks Paul.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Jose, I like what you're trying to do. I have helped the local highschool do something similar for days when they have a live guest in a different part of the school. They run cables to the remote classroom, but this could be Skype instead. The kids are in front of the greenscreen hosting the show and then in a double box is the remote feed. We have also done it with the host @ the green screen on the left side of the screen and then two smaller boxes with remote feeds on the right. We could add a 4th box using iVGA, but then we would lose the DSK.

Attached is a picture of a live broadcast with the host @ the greenscreen and a remote feed (that could be Skype) on the right. I don't have any pictures/video of when we had two remote feeds on the screen at once.

EDIT - I added a zip of the video since it won't let me upload a WMV version.

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00093.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	71191  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by brians0105; 03-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Brian,
    Yes you need to try it for yourself as it is quite remarkable. Full screen at full video resolution is not great (soft look to it) but scaled down it looks great. No cable to run either.
    That said, if you say it is a remote feed via Skype, you automatically get a pass on the quality and big props for using a hip technology.
    Heck Oprah uses it

Take care and nice work,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I've seen Skype used on Oprah and Fox News. Anyone know how they manage to remove the smaller PIP on the bottom left of the screen that shows your image?

Right Click on the window and select "Hide Myself" to turn it off. Then wait a few moments (don't move the mouse) and it will go away.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Thanks a lot, Jose!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast