Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this Depth Of Field look as good as it can be?

Does this Depth Of Field look as good as it can be?

Take a look at this still image and let me know if this is as good as it's gonna get with LWs DOF.

I've never noticed the grain before on moving images with DOF on, but in this case I need to render out stills without motion blur.

I'm using the Perspective camera, AA set to 3, Adaptive Sampling is ON, with a shallow f-stop of 1.2.

Please, what is your favourite setting for really smooth DOF?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob-and-bobette.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	70823  

Nope.

Try turning your Threshold down, I get good DOF with settings something like this:
    AA 4, Box/Fixed
    Threshold 0.01
    Oversample 0.1

Soft Filter OFF

(these are from memory, but give them a shot)
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Thanks archijam. Turning down the threshold seems to be the key. I am out of the office at the moment but eager to give it a try.

- Rick

Unfortunately, that means turning up the render times , but there's always a trade off ...

You could try the Gaussian filter or upping the Oversample distance to help denoise everything a bit more...
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

I agree with Gaussian, for animation. But *not* AS threshold of .01! Below .02 the rendertimes will double with *no* increase in quality. A bunch of us found this out in another thread, I'll find it if you want. There's no substitute for higher AA!

Smooth DOF with this much blur will always be expensive (except maybe with XDof), if you can do some of it in post you'll be in great shape.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Thanks for the tips and especially the hint at a previous thread. I don't know how this escaped me.

I am in the middle of a 20 minute render (it was over 10 so not too bad of a hit) and I can tell with the Adaptive Sampling at 0.3 it's looking great already.

Now, how do I set it back to default!

AA: 5
    Adaptive sampling: 0.03
    Oversample: 0.7

A few have mentioned doing it in post, I just don't know how to generate a depth map and how to use that in After Effects. I know LW now has an EXR saver I think that will help ... but I haven't come across any total workflow articles or videos that apply to Lightwave. Still looking.

Thanks everyone, my renders are looking better already thanks to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    I agree with Gaussian, for animation. But *not* AS threshold of .01! Below .02 the rendertimes will double with *no* increase in quality. A bunch of us found this out in another thread, I'll find it if you want. There's no substitute for higher AA!

Smooth DOF with this much blur will always be expensive (except maybe with XDof), if you can do some of it in post you'll be in great shape.

But check out this quote from the LW manual:

"For most images, it is best to set the antialiasing samples to 1 when adaptive sampling is enabled"
    I have done some testing and it appears this is true! I'll post a sample tomorrow but it's late and a hirez test will take a few minutes!

My point was that if your aa is not good enough, going below .02 will not help you, raising the aa level is solution in that case.

I find that hard to believe anyway, I'll test it too.
    Confirmed -

I should spend more time on here, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by archijam View Post
    I should spend more time on here, eh?
    Yes you should, having 'a life' is totally overrated =)
    Confirmed -

Here's the thread where I learned that 1 sample will can't give you max quality:
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthr...ey+guys&page=3

and it makes sense, adaptive relies on edge detection, it'll probably never be as good as just aa'ing every pixel. I found that One sample at .01 adaptive still left jaggies in this scene.
    Confirmed -

Toby, I can't access the link. The forum reports I don't have sufficient
    permissions.

Your logic as per AA before AS gets at the image makes sense. I'm rendering another HD test image to take a closer look.

- Rick

Oh sorry that's in an old beta forum.
    To summarize, I noticed someone was rendering the 'museum' lighting challenge with 12 passes aa, .05 as. I asked him if that was necessary, thinking that 1 sample would cover anything with a low enough threshold. Turns out the 12 sample was faster and better looking than 1 sample set to .01 as. Another experienced guy posted that he uses 25 passes with no adaptive to get full quality. But that also depends on your construction filter.
    Confirmed -

final verdict on the Depth of Field

Thanks Toby for looking that up. I think the Anti Aliasing issue is an ongoing one, complicated for me being a legacy user with experience on the old Lightwave camera with the exclusive multiple-pass option.

After rendering three HD images with three slightly different settings, I have determined for my purposes there is NO difference between 1, 3 or five levels of AA using the Perspective camera. Render times were within five percent of each other, so virtually the same.

The payoff came by tweaking the Adaptive Sampling Threshold. A setting of 0.03 rendered more than acceptable results, and with an AA of 1 render time was fine. Just on a lark I tried a rendering at 0.02 and found it was noticeably better than my first test at 18 minutes, but only just a bit.

The attached file is the first rendering with AA=1 and AS=0.03.

All test images 800x600.
    Camera=classic
    Oversampling=0.5
    Photoreal motion blur 1 pass.

AA=1
    AS=0.03
    Render time= 18 minutes *

AA=5
    AS=0.03
    Render time=32 minutes *

AA=1
    AS=0.02
    Render time=30 minutes **

* identical image quality results
    ** slightly better DOF softness
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test_finalresult copy.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	70906  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast