Thread: "new and improved render buffers"

Devastatin'

"new and improved render buffers"

is there any reason why render buffer view now shows any surface with nodes as pure black?

the only buffers that work now are ones like shading and depth, but stuff I want like raw rgb and all the other value buffers are just black

I mean I know buffers have been shoddy since the new cameras and nodes were added, but at least they mostly worked in 9.5, now I can't do anything unless I have old school surfaces

all my images render fine, so the correct buffers must be hiding in there somewhere right?

Sounds a bit odd. I've not had any such issues myself and infact were performing better than ever last time I checked. Are you using a third party shader or something as well as the nodes?
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Devastatin'
    nope my lightwave is basically plugin free, apart from a motion vector exporter and some uv tools for modeller

so you're saying it works fine for you? this is interesting, there must be some way I can fix it but I'd rather not have to reinstall, I've already cleared configs and that didn't help

Admittedly I was using EXR Trader to view my buffers through the Viper previewer, but I will test with the native buffer view when I get back. Can you post a cut down version of your scene?

I did a quick test with nodes and shaders and Raw RGB comes out the Render Buffer View as expected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RawRGB.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	69919  

Quote Originally Posted by D_Clark View Post
    nope my lightwave is basically plugin free, apart from a motion vector exporter and some uv tools for modeller

so you're saying it works fine for you? this is interesting, there must be some way I can fix it but I'd rather not have to reinstall, I've already cleared configs and that didn't help
    can i ask what motion vector exporter your using? Lightwaves works for me in render buffer view, but not in buffer export

I use EXR trader for all my compositing needs as it exports all buffers. Although I tend not to use motion vectors any longer, because the Photoreal Mblur renders so quick - sometimes quicker than a non motion blurred scene! I would also be interested to know how D Clark is exporting vectors as its been a pain in the past.

If I need to add post blur - Reelsmart rocks!
    Last edited by stevecullum; 02-17-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Devastatin'
    I'm using this one (I haven't tried it since updating to 9.6 though)

http://www.richardnichols.net/content/view/19/7/

I think it's actually recommended on the reelsmart website, there's another free one I've used in the past which also worked fine (though it was a bit more tricky to set up), although I've noticed ever so slightly different results between the two - so they must be doing something a bit differently from each other

I do find the new cameras and photoreal blur render super fast, but I still like the look I can get with reelsmart in post, plus some of my older models show up full of holes if I use the new cameras, so I have to go back to classic

I'm just preparing a scene with a simplified object, I'll upload that in a few minutes

Devastatin'
    forget that it might not be necessary

stevecullum when I replicate your node setup it works fine - because I have a diffuse shader in there

if I set up the nodes and leave out a diffuse shader then certain buffers become black - this is the opposite to what I used to get in 9.5, where if I had a diffuse shader it would appear black in the buffers, so I didn't add one if I didn't need it

the way I saw it is what's the point in adding a lambert shader to the nodes if lightwave will render lambert by default anyway?

I hope I don't have to go back and resurface my models

forget that it might not be necessary

stevecullum when I replicate your node setup it works fine - because I have a diffuse shader in there

if I set up the nodes and leave out a diffuse shader then certain buffers become black - this is the opposite to what I used to get in 9.5, where if I had a diffuse shader it would appear black in the buffers, so I didn't add one if I didn't need it

the way I saw it is what's the point in adding a lambert shader to the nodes if lightwave will render lambert by default anyway?

I hope I don't have to go back and resurface my models
    I think some buffers are specific to those shader inputs, so if you weren't using them, nothing shows in the buffer output.

I hope this new CORE brings a complete overhaul of the passes and buffers system.

Devastatin'
    just an update here, if I plug diffuse shaders into my surfaces I can get the diffuse and raw rgb buffers to show up, but if I plug reflection shaders into my surfaces I still can't get the mirror buffer to show up

I have a model here with 120 surfaces that I literally just finished surfacing before I upgraded to 9.6, I really don't want to have to go back and change every single one of them - and even if I did that wouldn't get the mirror buffer to show up anyway

this is really annoying

You should be looking in the Shaded Relection buffer.

Devastatin'
    yeah that one works fine, as does shaded diffuse and shaded refraction, but the mirror buffer doesn't, I just like using it when I'm setting up surfaces to see how my reflection curves are working, but now I can't do that any more

yeah that one works fine, as does shaded diffuse and shaded refraction, but the mirror buffer doesn't, I just like using it when I'm setting up surfaces to see how my reflection curves are working, but now I can't do that any more
    I do see what you mean - bit of a meaningless buffer right now. However, you might want to investigate Dponts extended buffer nodes. With that is possible to send say an output from a gradient into an 'extra' buffer. I've never even used that mirror buffer before as I normally just tweak things in Fprime and send to comp for finals.

Good luck!