Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is LightWave dead ?

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    <Never mind, I saw jay3ds link...>
    Last edited by Lightwolf; 02-09-2009 at 02:23 AM.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Reading that then, I presume Modo does in fact have an SDK, I thought some folks said it hadn't.
    Or was it a case back then that they thought they could write one but never got around to it?
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post
    Reading that then, I presume Modo does in fact have an SDK, I thought some folks said it hadn't.
    Or was it a case back then that they thought they could write one but never got around to it?
    They just don't have a complete, public one. It's basically just i/o (images, meshes and scenes).

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg "T.Rex" View Post
    Is LightWave dead ?
    No.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    They just don't have a complete, public one. It's basically just i/o (images, meshes and scenes).

Cheers
    Mike
    And THAT is the difference between the old crew and the new crew, and why LW will come out on top.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike i think it's more... and slightly simple(with sliders of quality)
    Please, you can download lux.render engine and trial Microstation(with packs) from Bentley(not advertising)
    Anyway LX-engine is 4(.01) version of nexus's core. And it beats to lw-core. Really!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LX2BS.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	69564  
    Last edited by iluxa; 02-09-2009 at 06:37 AM.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Sliders for an SDK, that's a good one. Dang, I've been coding wrong all these years.
    Here's me thinking you actually had to write code, (goes looking for sliders in his C# IDE).
    Last edited by colkai; 02-09-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: speeling..what else?
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by iluxa View Post
    Mike i think it's more...
    Nope, it's not public! Can they re-sell their tech? Of course. Look at Rendition for PS using the LW render engine (which is basically the same principle).

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Celshader View Post
    Naw, LightWave has returned to us as "LightWave the White." New form, vastly upgraded powers, and you kinda have to get to know him all over again.

I loved the "LightWave the White" concept.
    More... I think the new LWCORE UI should be white with a long and beautiful white beard.

Newbie Member
    i think somebody reads this http://www.bentley.com/en-US/Corpora...3/Luxology.htm

MAUROCOR you are right... i'm seeing volumetric functions of lw are beautiful.
    Not only for atmosheric effects, also are for implementing of several solids properties...
    Last edited by iluxa; 02-09-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Thank you for my early-afternoon guffaw, Jen. And, indeed, to Gregg T. Rex for starting this thread. I think we ought to keep track, because this has to be about the 5,000th "Is LightWave Dead/Dying" thread I've seen since Al Gore invented the Internets. There should be a cup or something.

I think the simplest comparison is Maya to Wavefront. Big from-scratch rebuild to say "toodles" to all the legacy stuffs. If the LightWave name disappears, and I end up using "Core" as my primary toolset, I'm not exactly going to shed any tears. Hell, with what I can see in the tech FAQ they can call it Princess Winkyphartle and I wouldn't bat an eye.
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by mattclary View Post
    And THAT is the difference between the old crew and the new crew, and why LW will come out on top.
    Well don't forget the "old crew" is the crew that invented LW, the app we've all been loving and loving to hate for a good while now.

I wouldn't write the Lux people off so quickly. They're not trying to make Modo all things to all people all at once, they're working their way up slowly. And considering their built-in sculpting and painting, plus the ability to easily make all kinds of maps like AO and displacement and normal maps for your models, plus the ability to use that data to convert a very hi-res mesh into a very lo-res mesh that looks almost identical, I'm expecting Modo to become as big in the gaming industry as XSI is now. Within five years, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by IMI View Post
    Well don't forget the "old crew" is the crew that invented LW, the app we've all been loving and loving to hate for a good while now.

I wouldn't write the Lux people off so quickly. They're not trying to make Modo all things to all people all at once, they're working their way up slowly. And considering their built-in sculpting and painting, plus the ability to easily make all kinds of maps like AO and displacement and normal maps for your models, plus the ability to use that data to convert a very hi-res mesh into a very lo-res mesh that looks almost identical, I'm expecting Modo to become as big in the gaming industry as XSI is now. Within five years, I bet.
    I'll agree to that. We must be thankful for what they did when they were in charge of Lightwave. Maybe even for their mistakes. Who knows, if the code was not such a mess, would there have been that much of an incentive to do something completely new (as the core seems to be)?
    passionately alive

Visit my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by IMI View Post
    No hate from me, I love LightWave. I feel like the New Crew is taking a good thing and purifying it, or distilling it. I like Jen's take, "LightWave the White"...

Having a "closed" product (in 3D) is a bad idea, IMO. Too many people want to drop in their own renderer or extend the product in other ways. I feel like the New Crew understands that, and the Old Crew either didn't, or wanted to keep their cards too close to the vest.

Hmm... version numbers.... is CORE actually LW Core 10.0 or are we re-starting from 1.0?

(Not that it has any relevance, but the bean-counter in me is curious.)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast