Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lightwave CORE and Game Development.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Geppert View Post
    What kind of normals are you seeing in Blender? Normals in the middle of the polygons or vertex normals?

I am not sure bout Blender but I know from some game engines that they can calculate missing data like tangents, normals and more.
    They are surface normals.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    I have used Lightwave for game for 10 years now. The first I did was "Streets of SimCity" for Maxis. The last was "10six" from Sega. Now I am doing movies, so there are those that do use Lightwave for literially everything.
    Hey thats cool. I still have [that game] here, though it doesn't play well on an XP. Funny part is I didn't have a computer with enough horsepower until I had XP.

Edit: [that game] equals streets of simcity.
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Tengu View Post
    They are surface normals.
    Surface and vertex normals are different things. Vertex normals influence shading (soft and hard edges). Surface normals tell in what direction the polygon faces (Remember these flipped polygons?).

To add some technical detail. You calculate the vertex normals by averaging adjacent surface normals together. But which surface normals are averaged with which is controlled by the smoothing properties. In Max the smooth groups control that, in LW it's the smoothing angle. So the exporter needs to calculate the normals or at the very least export the smoothing information needed to reconstruct the vertex normals (identically to the app the object was made) yourself.

Great News!

Torque is working towards making import of Collada meshes a reality; thereby eliminating the archaic .DTS format as a neccessity! Take a look here:

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/16385
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Geppert View Post
    The LW-blender-game pipeline is not what I would prefer. It might work with obj, lwo but then only with static models. So maybe it is a workaround for a few models then.

Collada is the right format now. I checked it. The latest version exports animations well into game engines (e.g. C4, Shiva) and the other option (FBX) transfers to some more engines (e.g. Unity, GameStudio).
    Lightwave is a great tool and offers all what most game devs need. So why should I give it up and switch to another tool only because of an export issue? It would be really sad.

Some of you mentioned Max and to be honest: I could not explain me and my family why I have to buy a software for something around $5,000 (yes, it is that expensive in Europe). I even have problems to explain why it could make sense to invest in Core, but Max? Then I probably better go with Maya. But I would do everything to not become an Autodesk customer. I am even willing to pay for such an exporter.
    I lately thought about becoming a HardCore member only because of this, only to push Newtek to improve their Collada assets for game devs and to give feedback to the tool-set. But I am still not sure about it. It will take time, patience and money. I indeed could just get another tool then.

Myagi: I really think we can live without the smoothing angles. If you absolutely need them then I would like to type this info in an edit field, so your tool knows it. Then everything gets the same smoothing angle, but I can decide if it will be 40 or 60 degrees.
    The smart re-alignment of the normals and the following melting of the vertices is everything we need. And as I told, this will be good for other Collada files as well.

In all my exporters I simply create additional duplicated vertices for "hard" edges - there is no other way, that's how 3d hardware works.

Sure, in the end they have to be split, but I could imagine that engines who need/prefer closed manifolds, for example edge data for stencil shadows or when same geometry is used for poly based collision. They might want the unsplit geometry data for preprocessing those things, before they create the split data used by the GPU.

Not a big problem if you make your own exporters or importers. But if you make generic output not aimed at a specific target environment, or you're working with third party toolchains (modding and whatnot), it's probably nicer to have the "best possible" data.
    Last edited by Myagi; 02-18-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myagi View Post
    Sure, in the end they have to be split, but I could imagine that engines who need/prefer closed manifolds, for example edge data for stencil shadows or when same geometry is used for poly based collision. They might want the unsplit geometry data for preprocessing those things, before they create the split data used by the GPU.

Not a big problem if you make your own exporters or importers. But if you make generic output not aimed at a specific target environment, or you're working with third party toolchains (modding and whatnot), it's probably nicer to have the "best possible" data.
    I guess .... on the other hand, it would be just as easy to create unsplit geometry out of vertices/indices as it would be to split the data :-)

Yeah no doubt , but if you don't have control over the importer (like in the mentioned examples) the only thing you can affect is the data you generate and attempt to make it as compatible as possible.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567