Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave CORE and Game Development.

Question Lightwave CORE and Game Development.

Alright; so instead of all the Game-Dev comments/concerns getting buried in the numerous threads about CORE...I thought I'd start one soley for Game Dev thoughts and questions.

I see that NT has decided to go with Collada as a base format, which is a start for Game Development. What about attention not only to popular formats; but the whole pipeline in general? Other than a few glamour shots on the front page, of LW's involvement in shipped titles; I see no discussion of the pipelines and methodology involved?

Does NT want to be a part of the (mentioned it before) LARGE market of Game Development or not? What outside recognition has Newtek received for game development? I see the "not-so-popular around here" team at Lux have been paying attention to us:

http://www.luxology.com/press/releas...Frontline.aspx

The slow to inactive activity in the Game-Dev section of the Forums here should tell you that not many people (read "Game Artists) view LW as a product they want in their pipeline. Again; Autodesk is leading in this area, because they realize the extensive market that exists in the Game-Dev world.

As I've said in one of the previous "CORE" threads; does NT intend to continue "glossing" over the potential client base in the Game Art world...or are they going to get more serious, and attempt to catch up in this area.

All views, thoughts and opinions here are welcome.

-Keith
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Absolutely Right

It will will take a rewrite and more interoperability for LW to get into gaming production.

It vaguely sounds like you could even use the core as a an opengl gaming engine if you really wanted to. I know somebody came up with an LScript that ran a 3d chess scene that was a functioning game. A robot arm next to the board would move move the LW pieces.

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    It will will take a rewrite and more interoperability for LW to get into gaming production.

It vaguely sounds like you could even use the core as a an opengl gaming engine if you really wanted to. I know somebody came up with an LScript that ran a 3d chess scene that was a functioning game. A robot arm next to the board would move move the LW pieces.
    Apparently you didn't see that it DID get a rewrite, lol!

But I do agree, I think that you could actually use LW CORE as a game engine, with enough programming know how. Pretty cool.

I was shocked to see that they are using collada as the native file format. Which is great, and I think points or hints at NT doing more in that field. Of course, in a few weeks when we have our hands on CORE, we'll know more about it and we can give our feedback too, as the HardCORE members will have direct input on the final product via the dev team. So that's sounding great to me.

Here's a game being made with the FPSCreator game engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qk2770E9vg

Here's a thread on The Game Creator's forums, showing some of the custom media that was created for it:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=...&t=137567&b=25

Talking with one of the developers; I'm told their art team used Lightwave primarily for all the modeling. The format that FPSC uses is .X.

-Keith

Newbie Member
    But I do agree, I think that you could actually use LW CORE as a game engine, with enough programming know how. Pretty cool.
    If you were insane, sure.

Here's a game being made with the FPSCreator game engine:
    You realise that no one seriously into game development (either indie or otherwise) uses FPSCreator, right?

ahahahahaahahh lol good one r10k
    new web page up www.null.hr

You realise that no one seriously into game development (either indie or otherwise) uses FPSCreator, right?
    Not too sure if you looked at all that I laid out there; but those guys seem pretty serious to me. Serious enough that they modded the engine in many ways on their own. Serious enough that they have contracts to market the game (as well as a second one they've been cooking up). Jake Cotton (Errant AI) uses FPSC to get his Game Art into play, with minimum fuss:

http://www.blackdracogames.com/forum...php?board=61.0

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=...&t=126691&b=24

It's not the tool; it's the developer(s) that make the difference.

As far as using CORE as a game engine; that remains to be seen. TrueSpace 7 has those same abilities; in fact there are a number of people who have made small games with it (though they are not stand-alone; you need TS to play them), such as a 3D minesweeper and pacman.

-Keith
    Last edited by GandB; 02-06-2009 at 05:20 AM.

haha, in fact the old lw had it already (but not publically available):PIM
    On starting the plugin it replaced lw's viewport with a blazing fast 3d engine and you could assign javascript to everything. Hey, I've seen a playable quakelevel inside my lw viewport (with realtime-dof).
    So if third parties were able to do this to lw 8.5, imagine what's possible with a much more open platform.

mike
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

I remember that; what happened to it? I had asked about it awhile back, but it seemed like the dev just dropped it?

It was also pointed out to me that Unity has a pipeline for Lightwave (along with.....wait for it....Max). Have NT even looked into this?

I'm pretty sure the Game Industry was on NT's mind as well when re-writing LW. I mean it's hard to miss a multi-billion dollar industry that is slowly surpassing the movie industry. I guess all we could really do to be sure is wait and get an answer and an their gamedev outline from NT.
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

@GandB: Actually you can develop stuff with it when you're a beta tester (Veggie is an example). I got a recent pimtools build some days ago, so there's development, but nothing public (and no indication it will go public). Based on pim is also Loco, a realtime mocap thing. I've seen stuff, where actors wear googles and mocap while they see the CGI scene in realtime (and not a green screen).
    The dev has himself never dropped his baby, it just developed into something different (hollywood etc).

mike
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

I mean it's hard to miss a multi-billion dollar industry that is slowly surpassing the movie industry.
    Apparently it hasn't been so with NT, as I see very little concern in the Lightwave site. What they've presented (on the main site....games...) does little to overcome a game artist's desire to shore up his pipeline with industry standard tools...that will actually get him hired, or cut down on his development time (in an Indy's case).

But, as you said, we'll have to wait a bit to see if they actually address this issue with more than a passing paragraph.

Incidentally, the Indy Game scene is also fast becoming a multi-billion dollar industry as well. You've got teams of any where between 2 or 3 people, to a dozen or more; with an average time of 6 months to a year, before a title is shipped (with proper design docs and systems already in place). This is really where NT could pick up the slack with a pricepoint well below that of Autodesk. An Indy doesn't have to worry about having an industry accepted tool...just whatever gets it done for him (or her...gotta remember the girls ) in a timely manner, the fewr the steps, the better.

Sounds like PIM will never see the light of day for the masses then.

Off the subject, but I've always wondered...is that you with the cucmber facial?

-Keith

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r10k View Post
    If you were insane, sure.
    I didn't say otherwise.

Is there any benefit at all to using Lightwave itself as a game engine, other than the novelty factor? After all, it's not as if you'll be allowed to redistribute Lightwave along with your game.

What you really want is an easy way to host your game engine within Lightwave. If CORE is as flexible as Newtek claims it to be, I expect Lightwave CORE to make a great tool for manipulating objects in game.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast