Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are non-HardCORE customers screwed?

Is Python Object Orented and Recursive?
    "Belief" is irrelevant... it is not a measure of Truth!
    Boxx 8400SE: Windows 7 x64 Dual Intel CPU5482 [8 Cores, 3200 MHz] 16.0 GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

For quoting needs:

# 9 1999 - LightWave 3D 6.0
    * 9.1 2000 - LightWave 3D 6.5
    # 10 2001 - LightWave 3D 7.0
    * 10.1 2002 - LightWave 3D 7.5
    # 11 2004 - LightWave 3D 8.0
    * 11.1 2004 - LightWave 3D 8.0.1
    * 11.2 2005 - LightWave 3D 8.2
    o 11.2.1 2005 - LightWave 3D 8.2.1
    * 11.3 2005 - LightWave 3D 8.3
    * 11.4 2005 - LightWave 3D 8.5
    # 12 2006 - LightWave 3D 9.0
    * 12.1 2007 - LightWave 3D 9.2
    * 12.2 2007 - LightWave 3D 9.3
    * 12.3 2007 - LightWave 9.3.1
    * 12.4 2008 - LightWave 9.5
    * 12.5 2009 - LightWave 9.6
    # 13 Q4.2009 - LightWave CORE

ie. a major point release every 2-3 years.
    This announcement seems to be stepping up the versioning, but also the speed of development.
    Last edited by archijam; 02-05-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Some relevant answers by Jim Plant:

Question 1: Is HardCORE a new subscription program for LightWave?
    Answer 1: Yes, but it is not mandatory. You can still buy LightWave upgrades the way you always have in the past. It's an optional program that will allow you to interact more closely with our developers and participate in the development of LightWave CORE. It also provides early access to the LightWave CORE technology. There are other benefits, as well.

Question 2: How often do you plan to ship a major paid upgrade?
    Answer 2: Development plans are just that....plans; but we do hope to ship major paid upgrades more often than we have in the past. The CORE architecture will give us the opportunity to innovate faster than we've been able to previously.

Question 3: Will I be forced to upgrade or punished if I don't upgrade?
    Answer 3: No. Just as always, you can choose to upgrade whenever you want and there will be no penalty if you choose not to. You can skip as many upgrades as you want and still come back in at any time and purchase the current upgrade at the current upgrade price.

Question 4: Will bug fixes continue to be free?
    Answer 4: Yes.

Question 5: Does the HardCORE subscription program include the LightWave CORE, or do I have to pay extra when it ships?
    Answer 5: It is included.

Question 6: What if you don't ship LightWave CORE in Q4 like you planned, and my HardCORE subscription expires before you ship?
    Answer 6: You'll still get it. We'll guarantee at least one paid upgrade with each annual HardCORE subscription.

Question 7: How much will the HardCORE subscription cost next year?
    Answer 7: We don't know yet. It's hard to predict our future costs and prices, but it will likely be the same as it is this year.

Question 8: When can I sign up for HardCORE?
    Answer 8: Soon...probably in the next day or two. We'll send out a notice as soon as sign-up is available.

Question 9: What if don't live in the United States, can I still sign up for HardCORE?
    Answer 9: Yes, you can sign up directly with NewTek on our site. We should have all that ready in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Exactly and that's my point, there is no BUG free 3D Software and I'd rather NT spend time on LWC than on 9.x series which work pretty fine in it's 9.6 FINAL.
    But, in the same token, LW 9.6 does represent a 'final' product of some sort in a series.

If I had purchased an upgrade to 9.6 from 8.5 I would not at all be thrilled with a dead stop in development if, for example, a significant bug surfaced.

I totally understand a cold turkey approach. I will, with little thought, be upgrading to LWC but I don't think it is entirely easy to not have some empathy for those who don't have the cash right now YET have a recently finalized product in their mitts which should automatically incur some sort of bug fix cushion.

Here's what I suggest:

Newtek should inform all users who do not upgrade to LWC that ALL bug fixes and patches for current technology outside the scope of LWC will end on June 30 or, whatever.

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Well let us not too hastily put answers into NT's press releases for them. There is no need to debate honest questions, and no need to get angry or upset until we know the answers to said questions. Lets ask politely, and get them aswered as quickly as possible.

Instead of creating an oversized thread with "Why would you ask that?" and the ensuing discussion, lets just get the actual questions out there.

When will we be able to see the feature list for core? I think that would be a major factor in whether or not anyone were shelling out the money for it.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Quote Originally Posted by Verlon View Post
    Well let us not too hastily put answers into NT's press releases for them.
    It would surely be an outrage if my profound wisdom on this matter was not immediately and instantly included into any and all press releases. Especially since it was shared generically in an unrelated forum setting which only heightens the sense of certain inclusion.

I should have known better than to unleash such exquisite verbal force on NT. Thank you for the enlightenment- I need to figure out a way to harness my power.

Newbie Member
    By the way....

I want to apologize to you folks if I came off a bit harsh earlier. I was in a...mood...

Anyway, I do apologize, and hopefully I'll see you around the forums.

~ MS
    Faith is not the opposite of intelligence. The lack of faith is the lack of intelligence, for it is impossible to know everything.:thumbsup:

Macs FTW:yoda:

Newbie Member
    I bought in at 8.3, Vue 5 Infinite was thrown in for free. So since then I got free updates

LightWave 3D 8.5
    LightWave 3D 9.0
    LightWave 3D 9.2
    LightWave 3D 9.3
    LightWave 9.3.1
    LightWave 9.5
    LightWave 9.6

So how do I feel about Core .. cheque is in the mail baby

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123