Thread: Your thoughts on CG software upgrades?

Newbie Member

Your thoughts on CG software upgrades?

Hi everyone, I'm writing an article on software upgrades looking at the differences between the various programs and what people think of them.

I'd really appreciate it if you could give your opinion on what do you think of the software you use by filling in the following quick questionnaire (I promise it's quick - 60 seconds, time yourself!)

I'll post the article studying the results after the survey has been collated.

Click here to answer the survey

Many thanks,
    Katie

not an ideal survey as you can't select more than 1 app and you can't go back and re fill in with another app either...also i'd like a mid ground answer where it more or less 'no effect' rather than no answer...

i use lightwave, 3dsmax and zbrush as my main apps so only having 1 choice is a bit limiting and makes your survey rather lop sided..

oh well!

edit..if you go to the cgenie site you can go in again so you can fill in twice...just need a way to fill in a 3rd time so i can put in zbrush!
    Last edited by cresshead; 02-01-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Newbie Member
    Many thanks to everyone who has completed the survey so far - we've had hundreds of responses!

We'll be closing the survey this Friday (13th Feb), so make sure you complete the survey this week if you haven't already!

Apologies to those of you who have tried to submit more than one survey - the form has now been changed to allow you to fill in the form multiple times.

I plan to publish the article on CGenie.com on Monday 16th Feb, and I'll post a message here as well to let you know that it's up.

Many thanks once again everyone,

Katie

Newbie Member
    ** EDIT ** I know I said above that the survey would be closing and the article being collated, but there's been such an overwhelming response, the surveys are still coming in thick and fast!

I'm going to keep it open until the end of the week (20th Feb) and will post the results after then.

http://www.cgenie.com/cgenie-content...grades-09.html

So, the survey is up, and while interesting, I find some of the commentary odd. (I am not referring to LW, I spread my use between 3 3D packages)

First of all, in a survey with only 8 questions, why are questions such as:
    "I am a big fan of the company that makes this software"
    "It'd take a lot to get me to move to a competing software title"
    even included? But I digress ...

Some quotes I find odd:
    "Ultimately it's very difficult to detangle the perceived poor value for money from the inevitable 'Autodesk effect' that these products endure."
    - subjective and strangely apologetic - the survey was not asking all surveyed about autodesk products, only the users - is there a 'Blender effect' or 'LW effect' too, that we should know about?
    "It's interesting to note that Cinema users here felt their company developed new features significantly more than other software."
    - this was the closest of all polls in results, so such comments do not ring true

The summary was also odd :
    "The fact that the smaller, more nimble companies have more happy users.."
    - they also have less users. At least, less users surveyed by this particular survey - they were the 2 smallest repliers to this survey, accounting for 8% combined. Should the demographics not be mentioned in the sum-up?
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Newbie Member
    Hi archijam,

Thanks for your comments!

First of all, in a survey with only 8 questions, why are questions such as:
    "I am a big fan of the company that makes this software"
    "It'd take a lot to get me to move to a competing software title"
    even included? But I digress ...
    Actually these questions were the very hub of the survey (and indeed brand loyalty will be the hub of any monetary return from customer service/support model at the companies involved, so I'd differ here!)
    Code:
    Some quotes I find odd:
    "Ultimately it's very difficult to detangle the perceived poor value for money from the inevitable 'Autodesk effect' that these products endure."
    - subjective and strangely apologetic - the survey was not asking all surveyed about autodesk products, only the users - is there a 'Blender effect' or 'LW effect' too, that we should know about?
    I'll be chatting with Ken Pimentel in an upcoming article which will clarify this more, ultimately the interpretation is subjective as you say. But I hope to qualify this, what I was hinting towards is the same effect you get with any major market leader - people grumble about Microsoft, Adobe - even Google's starting to gather nay sayers. But more importantly I think there are very different demographics that Autodesk have for Maya/Max users - so it's unlikely you'll find far fewer Blender users who have been forced to use the software because of industry requirements... I'll discuss this more in the near future and hopefully it'll become clearer!

Code:
    "It's interesting to note that Cinema users here felt their company developed new features significantly more than other software."
    - this was the closest of all polls in results, so such comments do not ring true
    Absolutely, but it was also the only result in which Cinema ranked top? And not by an exactly tiny margin - especially when for the rest of the results it was averaging 4th/5th place. I just thought it was interesting the sudden jump from its standard ranking.
    Code:
    The summary was also odd :
    "The fact that the smaller, more nimble companies have more happy users.."
    - they also have less users. At least, less users surveyed by this particular survey - they were the 2 smallest repliers to this survey, accounting for 8% combined. Should the demographics not be mentioned in the sum-up?
    Well if that was so I'd expect some really high results and some appallingly low ones! As I mentioned at the start I discounted many other pieces of software for whom the results were too low to be deemed stable, so whilst the market share is small I felt there was enough to justify including... but I take your point, as with any survey the results should be interpreted as reflective, not fact and so I'm looking to correllate with other data in the more focused follow up articles...

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.
    // To draw is to think and discover.

Quote Originally Posted by katie-CGenie View Post
    Hi archijam,

Thanks for your comments!
    In retrospect my point reads a little pointed, the idea behind the survey I find great, and I understand some of your responses better after your clarification - cheers! The survey and results were very interesting, but I don't share some of the conclusions, I guess it's just personal
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

intersting article...max 42% pretty darn big chuink of users and if you bundle up max, maya and xsi that amost 7 out of 10 users are on autodesk products.

i think if they also make this survey every year it could start to be very useful...

i'd be interested in how modo and lightwave users percieved their upgrades and so on with 401 and lightwave core

also be really interested in seein how much change on thoughts about autodesk and 3dsmax woudl be next year once the huge 3dsmax 2010 arrives will all those new modeling tools and realtime viewport rendering gets into people's hands...

and finally see how blender does once the re write is complete
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Newbie Member
    cresshead - the annual survey is very much part of the plan already, so as you say once the 2nd survey comes out, there'll be some very interest cross comparisons to be observed... with a busy year of releases ahead, I'd be expecting some shifts!