Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clouds

Clouds

How do you setup a scene to show that you were flying through clouds. I think you should be able to do something like that with hypervoxels but I don't know how to set up right.

Just add an HV volumetric to a couple of nulls and then adjust the setting to be more cloud like. Then pass the camera through them.
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

You can also use sprites and use them on points. That renders faster...

Another option is to use multi-layered geometry with procedural textures driving transparency... oldest trick in the book, but it can work, and work well. Combining that (20+ layers and a lot of nodal texturing) with a little After Effects, and I've been able to create volumetric-like cloud flythroughs with much better results than hypervoxels (which I've never gotten to look good). I'd post a link to my process, but that tutorial was never really finished... hmm... if I get time this week, maybe I'll try to whip it together.
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - lightwave tutorials

that sounds very interesting iaian7.

i look forward to it
    yeah alright.... we won a BAFTA http://littleloud.com/work/bsr/

Hey Graphx
    I agree with the idea of points and Hypervoxels but what I did for a resent project that worked great was to use the plugin Dynamite. I just needed the free plugin and I would use it to make images of cloulds. Then I expoted the Image in an image format that used an alpha channel. I then made some polygons and maped them them. The cool thing about this is that Dynamit is great for making clouldes and when you map them to a polygon you can animate the polygon and have a very reallistinc looking clould scene. if I find the base scene for dynamite I will post it later. Good luck.
    The LW Beast From the East

You can always bake the hypervoxels to make them speedy to render
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Iaian7 View Post
    Another option is to use multi-layered geometry with procedural textures driving transparency... oldest trick in the book, but it can work, and work well. Combining that (20+ layers and a lot of nodal texturing) with a little After Effects, and I've been able to create volumetric-like cloud flythroughs with much better results than hypervoxels (which I've never gotten to look good). I'd post a link to my process, but that tutorial was never really finished... hmm... if I get time this week, maybe I'll try to whip it together.
    Sounds interesting just what I'am looking for also.

Quote Originally Posted by Iaian7 View Post
    I know it's an infernal cheek.....but if you can do that tut, or a bit of it, I'd be very grateful. I get the gist of what it must require to do it that way, but if you've got results comparable, or actually better, than HVs, I'm all ears

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

Haha, no, it's fine! I'm sorry it's taking so long to get the tutorial done... I'm not very good at writing them, and life is pretty tumultuous right now. Till I get something more posted tonight, I'm attaching an example from a project I did last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clouds.jpg 
Views:	1302 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	69439  
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - lightwave tutorials

Good grief, that is superb, and just the kind of thing I need to get me out of the HV hell I've been wallowing in all day

Seriously, some pointers would be great, even hints if not a full tut.....

Really impressed by those clouds!

Julian.

Those clouds are impressive Iaian7!

so those are only geometry and procedurals on transparency that is?

But how would it stand up against objects inside the cloud volume and fly throughs?

It would be nice to see an animated sequence if you have?

Michael

here´s a little sample ..of hypervoxels clouds a particle emitter and a simple turbulence hypertexture, shading set to good quality, no volumetric
    shadows or texture shadows..

illumination model beer(should use rayleigh for more realistic results)
    lumunosity has a y-distance to particle gradient in additive mode over
    another gradient set to local density.

on the thickness channel there´s also a gradient set to distance to object and emitter as choosen object.

one of the images has 70 particles and the other 100 particles.
    of course we can always use sprayed points aswell.
    But setting this up goes very fast...the rendertime takes a little longer thou.

then there´s a whole other story of getting nice background air and air properties to interact with the hypervoxels, not so easy to do..so I settled for a simple blue color

otherwise..ogo taiki or ozone could handle that nicely.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_3.jpg 
Views:	1222 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	69449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_4.jpg 
Views:	952 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	69450  

wow Iaian7, they look great

cant wait for some more info (or a little demo scene if its easier than writing a tutorial )

hopefully see more soon

n.
    yeah alright.... we won a BAFTA http://littleloud.com/work/bsr/

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    here´s a little sample ..of hypervoxels clouds a particle emitter and a simple turbulence hypertexture, shading set to good quality, no volumetric
    shadows or texture shadows..

illumination model beer(should use rayleigh for more realistic results)
    lumunosity has a y-distance to particle gradient in additive mode over
    another gradient set to local density.

on the thickness channel there´s also a gradient set to distance to object and emitter as choosen object.

one of the images has 70 particles and the other 100 particles.
    of course we can always use sprayed points aswell.
    But setting this up goes very fast...the rendertime takes a little longer thou.

then there´s a whole other story of getting nice background air and air properties to interact with the hypervoxels, not so easy to do..so I settled for a simple blue color

otherwise..ogo taiki or ozone could handle that nicely.

Michael
    Those are nice!

Bit of a debate really which is best, though I suspect both have their place.

I've been getting some serious popping with my thin-cloud flythrough, which I suspect is the old problem of the camera being too close to the HVs - desperately searching around to find detail on that, as I cannot finish this shot until I do.....hence wanting other ways to achieve this.

How you fly through HV clouds without getting too close to the HVs I haven't figured yet

I tried some random geometry with transparency driven by procedurals - getting potential results with alot of spherical objects, but still not losing the ghosted appearance of the original objects.

Julian.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast