Thread: Posterize time

Posterize time

Hey, folks;

I am trying to create a kind of synthetic animation effect whereby the camera is animated at a regular 24/30 fps, but characters and other moving scene elements are animated at 8fps or thereabouts. Does anyone know how to achieve this simply (without requiring tedious manual manipulation of envelopes)? I know that this can be accomplished by rendering the scene elements in two passes and compositing them together, but I would prefer to avoid this step if possible.

I am, in essence, looking for a "posterize time" filter that I can selectively apply to scene elements.

Thanks so much,

Shehzad

I am not understanding why you would want to do something like this, but......

The first solution that comes to mind is to do it in a compositing application. Render your 24-30 fps items and then in a separate layer render your 8 fps items and then in a compositing package composite them both together. The render out of the compositing package may interpolate the 8 fps animation to match the 24 - 30 fps output rate.

What is the type of effect you are looking for. It this for something like bullet time?

I am trying to achieve a different kind of aesthetic effect for my animation. I want the camera (and everything static that it renders) to move fluidly, but I want characters (and other animated items) to move at the 8 fps typical of cel-drawn animation.

I am aware that this can be done by compositing, but I think there may be a problem with that approach; the compositing will be correct on 8 fps time boundaries, but will slip out of alignment in between.

What I really need is an envelope filter (preferably one that could be applied at the object level!) that allows me to set frame rates arbitrarily. I will probably end up writing a script.

If anyone has any ideas at all, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Gotcha.....sorta that cheap saturday morning anime cartoon type feel.

You could possibly acheive the same affect through the graph editor. Render the scene at 24-30 fps but have the models animate as if they are animated at 8 fps. Just a thought.

You could try to create an expression that works additively on your channel. Basically you would need to take current values, divide them with the 24/ 30 fps value in some way and then use clamp, ceiling or floor along with some multiplication to "hold" your motion so it looks like 8 fps or something. Also using a modulus could work to a certain degree (conditional expression).

As for the compositing approach: I wouldn't worry too much. The AE posterize time filter works properly most of the time but of course you would still have to render everything at 24/ 30 fps which will not save you much time on rendering. If AE is not good enough for you, you could also try ReTimer.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

Rock'nRoll Set Visualiser Adrian@Stufish's Avatar
    Animate at 3x speed.
    Keyframe at every frame.(motion bake)
    Stretch all keys by 3x.
    set all keys to stepped.
    Ugh.