Thread: Anyone Using XDof Studio with Lightwave 9.5?

Anyone Using XDof Studio with Lightwave 9.5?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting XDof studio as the LW XDof plugin doesn't work properly with the new perspective camera. Just wondering how well it works? Does it work with mblur streaks? Work through glass? Does it give good crisp edges between items in and out of focus? Does it work well right up to the screen edges?

How's it playing for you?

good question... didn't know there were problems with the old plugin. Don't own it but would like it, but not if it doesn't work properly...
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Could you do me a favour...Just email Ivan or Juraj on this page http://www.evasion3d.com/support.html and tell them just that. That you'd like to buy BUT you've heard there is a small issue with X-Dof not working correctly with the perspective camera. Each person who writes to them might just make a difference.

I think (I'm not a coder) that it's just a small tweak they need to do to store the AA pixels correctly but I could be wrong. Not sure how depth buffers work behind mblur trails for example....which is why, at the end of the day, DOF REALLY REALLY needs to be done at the core of the program, not as a plugin or a post effect...but I've chanted this song already a few times....

Yeah we use it. Have two or three licenses. It rocks. Our compositors love it as it is VERY fast.

I am happy to finally turn over DOF effects and tweaking to comp. As much as I loved doing it myself within LW using XDOF...the new features and speed in Studio are well worth it.

And getting 2D (like Xdof) to work with the new cams is going to be quite a challenge. I am assuming you mean when using the new PRMBlur. That probably won't ever be able to work right.

You can use 2D DOF with the new cams all you want if you don't do 3D motion blur (vectors in comp instead) or use classic blur and passes with the new cams. (Simulating the old style)

Really though, using the new cams means you can also use the new photo real DoF too. So in that case I'd rather use Lightwave's. Especially when working with DOF in reflections or through transparency. Something 2D DOF can never do correctly by its nature.
    Kevin "Q" Quattro
    Inhance Digital
    3D Art Director

Glad to hear it works, thanks.