View Poll Results: If you could pick one of the following features for LW8, which would it be?

Voters
677. You may not vote on this poll
  • Advanced Fluid Dynamics

81 11.96%
  • Auto Character Rigging tool

94 13.88%
  • Complete hair system

60 8.86%
  • Crowd Simulation/AI

42 6.20%
  • 3D Paint

148 21.86%
  • Muscle_Skinning System/tools

88 13.00%
  • Advanced Soft/Hard body sim or MD 2.rocks

141 20.83%
  • I don't care, just ship it yesterday!

23 3.40%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature poll

Feature poll

I thought this would be a good place for a poll. If you could pick one feature for LW8...

See, that's not one of the options CIM.

I think that CIM have reason
    V a l t e r . S i l v e i r a
    3D Artist - Editor
    http://valtersilveira3d.blogspot.com

I guess I just wasn't aware that Lightwave wasn't functioning as a whole... Seems to be working fine here.... Just what exactly isn't working for you?

Even though not a lot of people have voted yet, I'm surprised that nobody has picked the hair one yet. Seems like a lot of people don't like saslite and would like to see a fuller hair system in LW.

Hmm,
    AI on my characters, that sounds kinda nice
    "Reality is just an imagination, Imagination is the true reality."

[url=http://users.pandora.be/joril/][COLOR=firebrick][size=2][B].: visit my online portfolio :.[/B][/size][/COLOR][/url]

Hmm, no not new at Lightwave. Must be something else. So again, what SPECIFIC problem are you having getting to work in Lightwave? I like to model, texture, animate and render in Lightwave. Somehow, I seem to get all those things done with ease even though you say the program is crappy and close to death.
    You think that Lightwave is two limited programs. Hmmm, I'm thinking you must be new to Lightwave.

You sound very dissatisfied. You should consider another application.
    Lightwave close to death? Dont' think so.

This was a simple poll for fun. You didn't have to turn it into something else entirely.

CIM, I have read many many threads with your replies.
    They are all negative. (Excluding .02%)
    Perhaps hrgiger is right, a new app is for you, maybe you can go and complain to all the Maya users about their app not working properly because of its icons..
    You know you've been learning 3D for too long when you start seeing in procedurals...

P.S. Maybe go to the Lightwave.com gallery and take another look at what an application that is 'close to death' can do.
    You know you've been learning 3D for too long when you start seeing in procedurals...

better animation / motion tools all round, enhanced UI, much faster global illumination and / or much faster area lights.

that'll do me, don't need character stuff at all, don't use it, but a lot of people do and have been asking for it for ages, so I reckon that'll be the big thing in the next update.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Pixel Harmonizer
    Originally posted by CIM
    Hm, you must be new to Lightwave or just not know what's going on. Most of Lightwave's tools are simply just plugins, meaning that the program doesn't function at a whole level (no communication).

-snipped the yawn factor-

I guess we all better start learning a backup program, since Ligthwave is close to death.

You must be new to 3D. Most other packages have plugins and DLLs associated with specific single tasks as separate files. It's easier to update a single plugin or library file than to have to recompile the whole thing. Also, having it modular as such, you're not waiting 20 minutes for an executable to load. Things load as needed.

You start learning Poser and Bryce.. it seems to be on your level. Have an adequate day.
    G5... 64 bits of hype and lack-luster performance in a pretty desktop box. Apple jobbed to Jobs!

And again CIM, what specific problem are you having?

Well, it seems like most are leaning towards better soft/rigid bodies. I voted for the skinning tools myself but I'd be happy with a MD on crack.

Nope. Not new to 3D here...
    See Cim, this is the feature request forum. What people do here is they submit requests for features that they would like to see in future versions of Lightwave. If you want something fixed in LW, then feel free to make your own thread too. That's the way it works. It's too bad I have to explain it to you like you're a retard.
    See, I don't really have a problem with plug-ins. So far, I haven't come across anything that has been a problem for me in the last year and a half I've been learning and using Lightwave. At least other then missing a few features that I would like to see. Useful (and I think necessary, not garbage candy like you call them) features like skinning tools. How fundamental is that? Shouldn't we be able to control the mesh as it's deformed with pinpoint accuracy? The fact that you can't give any specifics to problems you are having (and I've asked you now like 3 times in this thread to list them) just tells me that you are the one that's new here you think that if NT fixed these so-called problems, it'll make you a better 3D artist. Not likely.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CIM
    pixelmonk, you're wrong. Most programs that have plugins/.dll files only make up like 10% of the program, not 90% like Lightwave. [/B]

CIM, have you, by chance, seen the file size of the maya executable (i know you use maya)? it's under 200Kb. now, do a file search for all .dll's and .mll's in the maya bin directory. look at the resulting file size. (about 90 megs).

in other words, it may seem when you're using maya that the tools you are using is 'built-in'. it may feel that way (kudos to maya programmers, then). but that is not the case. do you really think that the algorithm for maya's IK solvers, skinning tools, animation tools, (among other things) can be fit into 200kb? do you have any idea how slow an 90mb exectuable will load?

Also, the other programs actually take the time to make the plugins communicate with the core, not just slap them in there like retarded chimps.
    that's a good point of contention. some plugins, imo, are like that. but surely not all. for example, i dont like using spreadsheet because i dont like the interface and i way i have to set things up just to select. so usually, i just lscript it out. but old standbys like morphmixer and the deform tools are good and fast.

you dont have to make sweeping statements. it'll do you good, too.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

i'm sorry.. let me repost that...

pixelmonk, you're wrong. Most programs that have plugins/.dll files only make up like 10% of the program, not 90% like Lightwave.
    CIM, have you, by chance, seen the file size of the maya executable (i know you use maya)? it's under 200Kb. now, do a file search for all .dll's and .mll's in the maya bin directory. look at the resulting file size. (about 90 megs).

in other words, it may seem when you're using maya that the tools you are using is 'built-in'. it may feel that way (kudos to maya programmers, then). but that is not the case. do you really think that the algorithm for maya's IK solvers, skinning tools, animation tools, (among other things) can be fit into 200kb? do you have any idea how slow an 90mb exectuable will load?

Also, the other programs actually take the time to make the plugins communicate with the core, not just slap them in there like retarded chimps.

that's a good point of contention. some plugins, imo, are like that. but surely not all. for example, i dont like using spreadsheet because i dont like the interface and i way i have to set things up just to select. so usually, i just lscript it out. but old standbys like morphmixer and the deform tools are good and fast.

you dont have to make sweeping statements. it'll do you good, too.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast