Thread: don't work so well in layout??

Newbie Member

don't work so well in layout??

I made my logo in modeler

and i load it to layout

and i already put surface on... what else i can do to make it look better in layout?

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    Looks like you could use some better lighting, a background, and a bit of anti-aliasing. Also, your surface difuse setting should be quite a bit below 100%, perhaps 65-75%, since lighting should really "define" the scene, unless you're after a cel-shade-type look. Aside from that, it would help if we knew what look you're going for...
    Last edited by RudySchneider; 10-18-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

And what ever you do .. don't tell him there's an "Automatic Scene" button in the Render tab... shhhhhhh!
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Newbie Member
    I don't find automatic scene button in render tab, I find render tab in layout but I don't see the button.... I only see render globals, viper, render frame, render scene, sel object, mb prewiew, viper, render Q ...

also I try to find a tutorial that make something in modeler and transfer to layout, i saw one before and it down now
    ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightW...ideos/Die.mov/

can you tell me some other tutorial website that work for 9.5 i found a lot for 5..6...

ROTFL

Don't waste your time searching for that 'automatic' button - What hopper meant, in a ironic and funny way, is that your question makes not much sense - If you want your object to have a nicer look in Layout, you'll have to learn how to surface, light, setup an environment, setup the renderer - and there's no button for that

Please read the manual, get some learning material, then work, work, work ...

As starters, look for the free learning material NewTek provides (From 'Proton' aka William Vaughan - a very nice and talented guy who recorded a whole bunch - actually more than 24h - of video tutorials, mostly 9.x related)

Oh man ... I'm sorry. I just had to have a good chuckle over that one. Somehow I knew you'd be frantically looking for that button and I just couldn't help myself...

Weetos is right. You'll have to dig a little and do a little prep work if you want a good realist type look. And in all actuality, you will have to do a little work regardless of the look you want, unless its the look you are currently displaying. LW is very powerful when it comes to it's rendering engine, but you do have to tell it eactly what you're after. It is a very complex tool and very well worth studying to get what you want out of it.

I've spent many hours trying to get renders looking the way I want and I still have a long way to go to be proficient at it. - and I've been using LW for over a year now.

Get some books, watch some tutorials, play with the settings, and find a good workflow that works for you. Don't try to get the perfect render right off. You will only frustrate yourself into total disinterest.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Look at lots of animated logos. Decide what makes them cool or what makes them suck. Really study them hard. Try to reproduce the best. When you can't match an effect you like, show us the effect and your attempt, and ask us what we'd try.

Newbie Member
    ook do you guys learn from school or class ? because some people say the beginners should go to classes to learn this program in order to fully use the program well... so if i look all the videos and experience with it i should be able to work as well as people from class right?

Depends how hard you try. I've been on my own since '95, and as of 3 months or so of self training, I was good enough for what I was doing. My skills grew as my job did, but I've never been pushed.

I know I would be better with a class, or even a difficult job, but I've always been good enough for what I'm paid for.

I think you can probably get pretty darned good on your own, and you'll learn problem solving and understand what you learn very well. I'd wait to see how good you got before you decided to go with an expensive school.