Thread: Light Coloration

Light Coloration

OK,

I was flipping through the manual (don't even remember which one) and read on how to color a light using the color attributes of a surface. Now... I can't find the section (I happened upon it by chance). Can someone tell me what section I might find this info.? I don't mind doing the work, just point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Richard

That sounds like an effect of radiosity.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

Not sure what that means. Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

Richard

In the real world, light bounces off of the surface of objects (like a red car), some of the light is absorbed by surfaces and the rest is reflected or bounces off the surface. In the case of a red car, the light bounced is in the red area of the light spectrum. A secondary result of the light bouncing is that it continues to keep moving and bouncing off of other things like the ground, people, trees, etc. the results of which, among other things, is the idea (as in Lightwave) of Radiosity. The best example if this is daylight. On a clear sunny day you can see that shadows from the sun are bluish. This is a result of light bouncing around in the sky.

http://www.except.nl/lightwave/Radio...ndex.htm#intro
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

OK, I'll apply that. Actually, I found the feature that I was looking for. For those reading this (that don't already know this) the feature isn't found in the lights panel but in the Surfaces panel. Go to Surface Editor, Advanced, Color Filter. That makes a light source take on the surface color when transparency is applied to that surface. It is in the book but don't bother doing an index search because it isn't found under any Light Attributes headings. It's probably filed under Surfaces somewhere. The 9.3 manual is seriously deficient in cross referencing descriptive terms that might lead a reader to the appropriate chapter. Gee, there are only 1430 pages of written material... it should be fairly simple to find a specific topic with an insufficient index... right??? OK, I admit that I'm a little peeved to have to waste so much time trying to do something so elementary. But, a little nudge in the right place to look goes a long way toward being able to learn and apply the software without asking others and wasting their time with fundamentals. Otherwise... I'm OK.

Richard...this sounds interesting but im still not entirely sure what your trying to achieve. Can we see a couple of renders to explain where you are going with this?

ps-i share your frustrations regarding the book! I suggest downloading the lightwave instructions pdf-then youve got a word search function....saves a hole heck o thumbing!

I wanted a single white light source to clone and use as fuselage lighting. I didn't want to just color the light. Test renders proved that this wouldn't be effective for the look that I was after. Using color information and transparency from the geometry gave me results closer to what I'm after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuselage_Lights.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	64662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desert_skies.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	64663