Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Vue 7 DEMO Video..... looking sweeeet

  1. #16
    Super Duper Member kopperdrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    3,128
    I've tried using Xstream 6 for animation and the time it takes to do a test render to play with the render settings to get decent times was better spent creating a texture map and getting placement maps set up with HD Instance instead. It's a shame, at the moment I tend to use vue mostly for background skies - unless the render times are sped up it's only of use to those pros with massive render farms at their disposal or hobbyists with no deadlines except those self-imposed. For the rest of us in the middle somewhere, unless they've moved things along it's too painful
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

  2. #17
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    I've tried using Xstream 6 for animation and the time it takes to do a test render to play with the render settings to get decent times was better spent creating a texture map and getting placement maps set up with HD Instance instead. It's a shame, at the moment I tend to use vue mostly for background skies - unless the render times are sped up it's only of use to those pros with massive render farms at their disposal or hobbyists with no deadlines except those self-imposed. For the rest of us in the middle somewhere, unless they've moved things along it's too painful
    Yeah, I agree. Unless someone has a massive render farm, it's for hobbiest or people who use just peaces of it. I had Vue 5 with a quad G5 at the time and that's the computer it took 27 hours on. I had the setting to Broadcast so it wasn't super perfect and it took that long. Many people on their forum as well as this one complain about render time. I think Vue is incredibly awesome and has the potential of almost fooling the eye in what's real and not but if the render for a photorealistic is so impractical, then it's not worth buying. Sort of like buying a car that the engine can go 400 mph but it's made out of the heaviest material known. The reality is that the engine may have a potential of 400mph but because of its design it can only go 60. Reminds me of Vue.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  3. #18
    Registered User Andyjaggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,327
    Well that's your problem right there, your using the built in render settings. I've been able to render massive forests in around 1.5 hours a frame. Yeah that's long but not for what you consider you are rendering.

  4. #19
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyjaggy View Post
    Well that's your problem right there, your using the built in render settings. I've been able to render massive forests in around 1.5 hours a frame. Yeah that's long but not for what you consider you are rendering.
    What render settings do you recommend? I'm using a Mac Pro now so it shouldn't take as long even though I'd be using rosetta for Vue 5.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  5. #20
    May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    5,585
    You can do a LOT with the custom render settings to reduce render times. I learned a lot from this tutorial:

    http://users.tns.net/~mwalter1/Vue_Render_Settings.pdf

    Also worth noting that in Vue you can control render settings by surface, so (for example) if you tun off indirect lighting for the leaf surfaces used by a large number of distant trees, it can work wonders for render times.

    Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

    Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

  6. #21
    Airwolf 3D man virtualcomposer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    1,440
    Wow, hey thanks. I think I'll fire up Vue right now.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

  7. #22
    Flipbook Productions Rollie Hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    81
    I actually had a VERY GOOD experience with tech support with Vue 6 xStream recently, much to my surprise... got someone on the phone even. Very much improved from my past experience with them.
    Mac OS X
    MacPro Workstations

  8. #23
    another good info about render settings in vue/xstream is here:

    http://www.powderkeg.com/Vue6_Flicker.htm

    markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

    OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

  9. #24
    Michael Nicholson zapper1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    spokane washington usa
    Posts
    4,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    I know the guy who built the Soldiers....In the Video.....small world
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

  10. #25
    Caged but Happy lwaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    947
    I must have a higher resolution pic of that cat dude.

    MUST.

    ROFLMAO
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

  11. #26
    Adapting Artist jasonwestmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,398
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualcomposer View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Unless someone has a massive render farm, it's for hobbiest or people who use just peaces of it. I had Vue 5 with a quad G5 at the time and that's the computer it took 27 hours on. I had the setting to Broadcast so it wasn't super perfect and it took that long. Many people on their forum as well as this one complain about render time. I think Vue is incredibly awesome and has the potential of almost fooling the eye in what's real and not but if the render for a photorealistic is so impractical, then it's not worth buying. Sort of like buying a car that the engine can go 400 mph but it's made out of the heaviest material known. The reality is that the engine may have a potential of 400mph but because of its design it can only go 60. Reminds me of Vue.
    It is an option to export an entire scene to lwo format right? But I assume you guys are talking about using the animation and certain effects from vue using Xtreem correct?
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

  12. #27
    Caged but Happy lwaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    It is an option to export an entire scene to lwo format right? But I assume you guys are talking about using the animation and certain effects from vue using Xtreem correct?
    Try it.
    I've yet to see one of these landscaping programs effectively export the entire scene and retain the complexity of the original.

    However, you can export trees individually and start your own LWO library which works great for populating a LW scene.

    But yeah, I think most are talking about xStream...nothing effect based, just getting it to work at all, as promised.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

  13. #28
    The MAX integration is impressive. If they can really deliver that for LW (reeeeally?) I'm in. And by I, I mean my boss.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

  14. #29
    Caged but Happy lwaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    947
    :agree:

    If it gets integrated, as promised, I'm in for up to three licenses...
    by me, I mean, I am the boss.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    GA,SC,NC
    Posts
    300
    Here's My test DEMO. No flickering. Renderer at Final with a couple tricks...just ..one. Also look at SIZE of the file. Comments please
    Last edited by guardonduty; 12-20-2008 at 07:13 AM.
    be a billionaire, share your wealth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •