Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Some after thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by The_Peabody01 View Post
    Thought you wasn't slamming Dominics work? lol

Like I said, for that genre : "kiddie art"/plastic toy..he did excellent work. The genre itself is played and its seem to always be on front street while all of the kewl stuff is on third shelf. There was guys who modeled, uv-ed, weighted and really textured their characters and most of us know the 'bot was 2 hrs at most ...work to put together. Its simple shapes and primitives.
    because he won, invalid everyone's else tireless and detailed work???

Im no expert in 3D by far, but it's natural to know what looks good and what doesn't, with this in mind, I would have thought twice about your response to this thread.
    Then, with no work of your own to show, why didn't you think twice before opening your flapper, boss?

I commented on the model alone...as the main character of the entry, I thought it a shame to reward such a minimal effort compared to the other entrants. They obviously busted their buttocks...for nothing. That's why I'm with Eugeny on this...when you said it was in poor taste.
    Last edited by AbnRanger; 08-15-2008 at 11:19 PM.

It does seem odd that entires not conforming to the rules would even be accepted, nevermind judged.

Having been at the booth I have to say the scene in the snow with the alien? ship was quite impressive.
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

Quote Originally Posted by robk View Post
    I think everyone needs to chill out. I didn't win and I don't care. I'm sure Newtek had it 's reasons for choosing the winners. No one even knows how many entries there were. Did every animation make the showreel?
    Let's just congratulate the winners and wish them well.

Exactly.

I think what happened is a great thing. I think people coming together to compete is positive and it stimulates growth. Many people used this as a opportunity to learn LW and take things to the next level for themselves. It was a win win all the way around.

If it was not perfect in the eyes of some people, so be it. Everybody has an opinion about art and so what else is new? Why would that be any different here?

I think this time should be used to congratulate the winners.

You know these people scarcely had but a few hours to enjoy the winnings before this thread started - what with time zones around the world and so on. I am sure that these people felt good about what they did. And they should. Winning a contest is not an easy thing. Is it luck? Is it talent? Even when the criteria is defined, it can seem like a crap shoot. Everything from the Academy awards down to the smallest film festival have their detractors that say this or that should not win. But that is life. That is the way it is. With a contest, the criteria is set, the people who put it on are in charge, they make the rules they make the decisions. I for one, think that should be respected and the people who win should be congratulated. End of story.

When you enter a contest - any contest - you should do you best work and expect to win and you should also be prepared to lose - gracefully and with dignity regardless of how any part of it seemed to break its own rules or was unfair.

People who can do that, in the long run, in my book, earn the respect of the people around them. I would have respect and admiration for anyone who did great work and yet did not win but also had the dignity to respect those who did regardless of personal opinion.

And on the flip side, I have a tremendous respect for people who win a contest and feel as if the competition was at least equal if not better, then mention it. It is a great way to heal wounds. I have seen this but a few times on the Academy awards.

But do you think any of those people are going to come forward now and say, "hey, glad I won, did not think mine was the best work, but thank you all for your support and I really thought you all did great work."?

I think not. (But if it happened - excuse me I did not read the hole thing)This thread has done nothing but generate bad feelings in a group that may have differing opinions but should also know when to show some respect. There is a time for everything and the time here should have been to respect and congratulate the winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    If it was not perfect in the eyes of some people, so be it. Everybody has an opinion about art and so what else is new? Why would that be any different here?
    No one is debating the judges ability to judge their own contest. Just that some entires didn't merit acceptance by not meeting the requirements, nevermind get judged. This is independent of the 'art' of the entries.
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_RB View Post
    No one is debating the judges ability to judge their own contest. Just that some entires didn't merit acceptance by not meeting the requirements, nevermind get judged. This is independent of the 'art' of the entries.
    I have to disagree. There is plenty of contention as to the artistic nature and validity of the winning slots. But these are two different thoughts. One thought is about the fairness of the contest. The other is about the artistic merit of the winning slots. There has been plenty of debate of both.

And as far as I can see NT has made the effort to try and clear up the point about the validity of the entires. In the end it is NT who put on the contest and they are the ones who are deciding what is a valid entry and what is not.

As to the debate about the artistic merit, well, welcome to the real world. We all have opinions. My point is, OK, fine. Just give the winners a little respect. I think it is respect that is due.

And further to reinstate the point. No contest ever seems fair to everyone. That is just the way it is. When you lose, show show respect even if it seems blatantly unfair. Then bring your points up directly with the contest organizers. But even then, they put on the contest. They have to final say. At some point you have to take the high road and respect that, even if it seems wrong.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 08-16-2008 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks Surrealist .

you should also be prepared to lose - gracefully and with dignity regardless of how any part of it seemed to break its own rules or was unfair.
    with all due respect, that is nonsense. fairness is everyone abiding by the rules - not a discrimination for one person or another. if i entered a contest which *presupposed* that rules were not to be followed, then i would go and break them and take your advice and accept my loss 'gracefully'. that's because everybody was in equal terms of presupposing breaking the status quo. that's fairness.

that isnt the case here. or is it? -are you guys privy to something most us arent aware of?
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

At some point you have to take the high road and respect that, even if it seems wrong.
    only sheep do that. how can a man respect what he reasons as unfair? what a man should do is reconsider about wasting his time joining future contests in the future.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

one more thing: i'm not challenging the veracity of the submissions' actual compliance. i'm merely pointing out the principle of following contest rules vs shrugging off in denial the possibility of the violation of those rules.

One reason I am doing that 1970's car chase anim is because I see so many space battles, wild matrix style fights and cutesy toy or cartoony videos. I love space stuff, but I know many people looking to hire just skip something that looks like another space battle, or badly done flying karate fight.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

When and IF Newtek does another contest, I think they will be hard press for volunteers to sign (back) up if most ppl feel that the rules were waived in this one.

CGTalk doesn't seem to have this problem.

The only way to heal such wounds is to have more and very frequent contest on a smaller scale so when thay have huge Contest, the expectations will have been clear among future participants. They definitely shouldn't just let this fester without acknowledging in some way.

I understand where Surrealist is coming from but they are some hurt feeling out there for those who participated.

Quote Originally Posted by frantbk View Post
    Why is it bad taste to complain about the winners not following the rules?.
    From what I can see the winning one didn't break any of the rules set. Like it or lump it!

Quote Originally Posted by AbnRanger View Post
    At least I'm not hiding my work...
    Just watched your demo reel and I can tell there some good stuff in there - Although I'm surprised to see LW doesn't appear in the 'software used' list of your resumé ?

Regarding the contest entries, I've seen a few really cool stuff in the gallery, and ROBOTOCHAN wouldn't have been first in my top four - The fact is that NT staff made it number one - so be it - Congrats to the winner, there's not much else to say - NT's decision about using this material for siggy is their own, even if some users, including me, would have chosen some more 'industry/pro' stuff

From what I can see the winning one didn't break any of the rules set. Like it or lump it!
    From what some people are complaining about that the top three winners went over on the time limit. That is breaking the rules. Once again many of you don't seem to grasp what people are really complaining about. It is not the winners, but NewTek people are complaining about. NewTek didn't stick to the rules that they put down as a requirement for the contest. Thats what people are complaining about.

In future contest's people should look at the rules as guidelines for their work. NewTek doesn't have any standards, and if they don't have real standards for a contest then you have to question if you should trust NewTek and their contest.
    Last edited by frantbk; 08-16-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast