Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some after thoughts

This thread was completely started in bad taste. Sounds like it's coming from people who are miffed because they didn't win 1st place, in a "lets take it out on the 1st place entry, because we didn't win anything" kinda way.

It's bad sportmanship guys! come on.

I didn't participate in the contest but the Weekend Factory and Black Snow are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    Geez, so much for good sportmanship ?!?!?

Congrats to the winners! They are all great!
    If you're competing in a sporting event and one of your opponents clearly breaks a rule, it's poor sportmanship to go to the referee about it? I see it every Sunday, watching football...baseball, basketbll, etc.

Personally I thought Eugeny's was certainly deserving of a top 2 or 3. He demonstrated expert modeling skills (which the first prize certainly did not). Expert lighting, use of volumetrics (for the thick fog), camera angles, etc.
    It looked more like something you'd see in a game cinematic or feature film (I'm sure he would've polished it up more if that is what it was used for). Now contrast that to the winning entry (something you'd expect in a student reel), and I'd be a bit ticked off too. What was the appeal?...because the robot piece was kind of cute, with some shiny graphics?

It certainly didn't meet the mission statement for the contest as well as some of the others did...that is to demonstrate what LW is capable of. The first place entry DID NOT prove to anyone the level of professional work LW is capable of. To that end, the second place and Eugeny's entry did a much better job of demonstrating that, as well as the others. But coming from a company that had a purple, green, brown, and grey UI color scheme up to LW 7.5, I'm reminded of how little taste they seem to have, in the first place.

Personally, I thought the winner would've been more like a 5th place or lower, with such a primitive robot used. The rest of the set was cool...just would've demonstrated more craft with a better model...humanoid robot, IMHO. That robot (not the rest of the scene) looked like something a first year student would submit in their 2nd or 3rd week. This is what Larry (SplineGod), Stooch and others have been talking about when stating that Newtek has not been putting their best material on display.

I liked the 2nd place much better than the rest, but it appeared to me that it must have been something they already had done before the contest, and just saw the contest as an opportunity.

Eugeny has a very valid point. Rules are rules. The recent Vue 5 competition had a hard deadline and had some rules I wish I could've broken, to sweeten up or improve the final shot...but they stuck to their rules. So should Newtek.
    Last edited by AbnRanger; 08-15-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Personally, I thought the winner would've been more like a 5th place or lower, with such a primitive robot used. The rest of the set was cool...just would've demonstrated more craft with a better model...humanoid robot, IMHO. That robot (not the rest of the scene) looked like something a first year student would submit in their 2nd or 3rd week. This is what Larry (SplineGod), Stooch and others have been talking about when stating that Newtek has not been putting their best material on display.
    Newtek needs like a 2 year banned of that stuff in their gallery.

We get the point that Lightwave can do this type of artwork, you guys have been beating our heads with this stuff like 8 years now. yes we know "its a matte rof taste" but hello.. Marketing.

We need something new and consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stooch View Post
    hmm to me the robot was the worst of the 4 top placeers. it looked like it took the least effort to make, the environment was extremely cheesy and the animation was basically rotations on a single axis. ...

if this is what nt considers top notch - original animation then the future of LW CA is dire indeed! funny, the only entry that actually made use of LW CA tools was the bunny one and id say its about 10x the technical skill, lighting quality and story originality. this kind of explains NTs choice of luminitek work for their booth at siggie. you can buy software but you cant buy good taste i guess.
    I actually have to say that I agree 100% percent with Stooch on this (first time for everything, I guess). In my mind the first place made LW look worse. I can't even see Carrara demonstrating what it can do with an example like this. Overall, I think the body of submissions did do LW some justice, but by selecting what they did as 1st place would turn me off to LW if I were an outsider walking by the booth, or visiting the website for the first time.
    And that Luminitek stuff was atrocious to the extent that it's the same old content. That's what you might expect to see from a student, who has a fixation on boobs and buttocks...and nothing else butt (pun intended) that. What's the old maxim..."no matter how good the 3D looks, if the story sucks, the movie sucks." If all you have is some busty models doing spinning jump kicks...it get's so tiring after a while, don't you think? What else is new (there's a million busty models with guns on the web)? I bet this is the kind of material major studios have to weed through day after day.
    Last edited by AbnRanger; 08-15-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnRanger View Post
    It looked more like something you'd see in a game cinematic or feature film (I'm sure he would've polished it up more if that is what it was used for). Now contrast that to the winning entry (something you'd expect in a student reel), and I'd be a bit ticked off too. What was the appeal?...because the robot piece was kind of cute, with some shiny graphics?.
    All the entries I have seen were all indeed great. I can't help but feel a little bad for the winner, what with everyone laying into their entry.

There have been good points and bad points raised for everything mentioned so far, and yes rules are rules - it's gotta be played fair.

AbnRanger, I can't help but find your post quite harsh towards the winning entry. There are some points which I am sure you are right about, but when saying it is something you'd expect to see on a student reel, I really beg to differ. I have seen student work and it's much more basic than ROBOTOCHAN, with very little attention to F-curves and smooth movement. A lot of entries had jerky camera moves because very little attention to F-curves. Eugeny's entry certainly suffered from this. At the end of the day, you can only go by the guide lines set and Assets being 15% of the overall mark. Maybe not the best of moves but that was one of the criteria.

I must say, with such a long post and with comments you raised, I was expecting some kind of expert in lightwave or any kind of 3D. I was slightly dissapointed when I clicked onto your site and saw your showreel. It isn't fair to call other peoples work "something you'd expect in a student reel" when from what I saw, your efforts weren't much higher than student effort. Im no expert in 3D by far, but it's natural to know what looks good and what doesn't, with this in mind, I would have thought twice about your response to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Newtek needs like a 2 year banned of that stuff in their gallery.

We get the point that Lightwave can do this type of artwork, you guys have been beating our heads with this stuff like 8 years now. yes we know "its a matte rof taste" but hello.. Marketing.

We need something new and consistent.
    Thought you wasn't slamming Dominics work? lol

Wow I am not even sure I want to even post a comment here but I feel the need to, first off Peabody the reason Eugeny's camera was jumpy was because that's exactly that style for a movie or a video game or anything else. Its a scary part and things are happening fast its supposed to be a hand held camera feel. He even stated that on his WIP even though you could tell just from looking at it.

Now about the winners I definetly thought they were good but like so many other people here have posted you have to be honest in the fact that the first places was definitely simple and easily a students work. But that being said it was pretty darn original! So I give him credit for that. But I just bought Lightwave a few months ago and I would Never Ever buy lightwave if I saw that as the promotional video but I would definitely look into it more and be interested if I saw work like Eugeny's I definitely think that was better done but like they said 50% was originality sooo.. I think whats done is done but it is quite fun to argue over it afterwards although I don't think the purpose of this thread was to have the judges rejudge everything just to give are opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by frantbk View Post
    Why don't they just show most of the material summited and let the community post their views. than we can see if the majority of the communities standards are higher then NewTek's.
    i agree. just weed out those that did not follow the rules, and let the community vote.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The_Peabody01 View Post
    This thread was completely started in bad taste. Sounds like it's coming from people who are miffed because they didn't win 1st place, in a "lets take it out on the 1st place entry, because we didn't win anything" kinda way.

It's bad sportmanship guys! come on.
    Why is it bad taste to complain about the winners not following the rules? NewTek is the problem here not the winners of the contest. NewTek set down standards for a contest then gave the winning prize to people that didn't meet that standard. The people that followed the rules of the contest got screwed.

This is why there is no community project,...people no longer participating in most contest, or much of any other NewTek community activity because someone always breaks the rules and is rewarded for it. I'm like many of the others. I didn't participate in the contest because I knew it would be just like this.

NewTek has pissed off most in this community so they will not give any work to show case Lightwave if asked, so NewTek made up the contest to get some new content. That's all this is about, this never had anything to do with a real contest with real standards.

I must say, with such a long post and with comments you raised, I was expecting some kind of expert in lightwave or any kind of 3D. I was slightly dissapointed when I clicked onto your site and saw your showreel. It isn't fair to call other peoples work "something you'd expect in a student reel" when from what I saw, your efforts weren't much higher than student effort. Im no expert in 3D by far, but it's natural to know what looks good and what doesn't, with this in mind, I would have thought twice about your response to this thread.
    I stand by everything I said...that the robot itself was something you'd see early in a intro modeling class...and you're saying my work (which is mixed between 3D, Compositing, and Graphic Design), was no more complex than that silly robot? Please!

I wasn't pitting my work against his, but against the competition, which was MUCH better... no doubt many of the entries spent a great deal more time on their models than the winning entry. What's wrong about that?

I was slightly dissapointed when I clicked onto your site and saw your showreel...
    At least I'm not hiding my work...where is yours, chief?

It is time for a little levity.

I think the winners should be proud of what they did. They won. Doesn't matter how unfair the contest doesn't matter the opinion of people on this thread. They won and they should be proud. I enjoyed them all for what they were.

NewTek was trying to do a positive thing with the contest. It was. There will be another. I hope there will be anyway. I think it was a good thing.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    OK.. Different perspective here.

I'm an editor, can barely open LW, just like hanging around this side of the forum pretending I'm as cool as the real guys....
    But..

I watched all of them and the dancing robot had the biggest effect on me. It made me smile, laugh, wiggle my butt, dance in my seat and it had Newtek's name in it.

I also laughed at weekend factory, quite a bit, but the dancing robot stuck in my head longer than any of the others.

If they were going for a pure marketing video that makes people smile and remember the name Newtek, they picked the right one. It might not have been the most complex or difficult to create, but it has a 'Byyyyy Mennen' kinda jingle to it.

I think everyone needs to chill out. I didn't win and I don't care. I'm sure Newtek had it 's reasons for choosing the winners. No one even knows how many entries there were. Did every animation make the showreel?
    Let's just congratulate the winners and wish them well.
    From the land of 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast