Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some after thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by CMT View Post
    So, even though you have a problem with it, you took advantage of the time extension. Did I read that right?
    Exactly, but after submitting my entry which was unfinished. So i did every thing to meet dead line (deleted one shot) and after realizing that people that missed it are uploading i said WTF and uploaded finished one.

Thank u Magnetix ...

I'll have to say I was disappointed with the winner. A jerky animated robot? That's not very original... isn't that one of those "avoid" areas when it comes to 3D?

IMHO it's a beginner-looking model (very rigid, very blocky) with ultra-beginner level animation and rigging. The lighting was alright. The environment needed way more. The dance moves were kind of cool, but not first place. I actually cringed a little. Not because it's bad or I'm better or anything like that. I cringed because this is what Newtek calls a first place winning entry for their SIGGRAPH 08 contest. This is what they want to show to the graphics world at large.

There were projects on the reel and in the WIP threads that I was following that I was expecting to at least place.

The reel isn't bad overall though. I think Lightwave can do much better overall than what I saw. Even from the independent community. Still just cringing for Newtek somewhat.

Well, I wanted to stay away from commenting directly on peoples work. The judges chose who they did and that was their decision. However, I still feel like Newtek should have adhered to the rules that they laid out and not accepted anything over 15 seconds and anything that had post work done on it. Did the second place winner show his assets/screenshots because that's the one I question on that matter.

Not to take away from the winners, and I didn't enter so I'm hardly qualified to talk, but I'm afraid I will add my voice to the view that the first prize dancing robot was a surprise.....my instant thought was that it is not a great ad for the possibilities of LW. I wouldn't buy into LW on the back of any of that work.

I can only think that because it carried some NT branding, it got noticed all the more - a lame criterion.

Going forward, it is imperative that NT marketing, and this new content team get their collective act together. I know it's a Siggraph deadline thing, but right now I have the brand new 9.5 on my box with no PDFs to explain the new features.....

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

ohhhh... c'mooooon.

hmm to me the robot was the worst of the 4 top placeers. it looked like it took the least effort to make, the environment was extremely cheesy and the animation was basically rotations on a single axis. ...

if this is what nt considers top notch - original animation then the future of LW CA is dire indeed! funny, the only entry that actually made use of LW CA tools was the bunny one and id say its about 10x the technical skill, lighting quality and story originality. this kind of explains NTs choice of luminitek work for their booth at siggie. you can buy software but you cant buy good taste i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Stooch View Post
    if this is what nt considers top notch - original animation then the future of LW CA is dire indeed! funny, the only entry that actually made use of LW CA tools was the bunny one and id say its about 10x the technical skill, lighting quality and story originality. this kind of explains NTs choice of luminitek work for their booth at siggie. you can buy software but you cant buy good taste i guess.
    I am overall pleased with Newtek, and I do not like to critique any particular work at all, but you have definitely got some points there, Stooch.
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_y View Post
    and as such, had asked the author to email the files so we may take a peek. An example would be the 4th runner up, titled "Black Snow" - The assets were received and checked to be consistent.

to be clear, i think what was meant was not necessarily if LW was used. rather, it was whether or any non-LW post-processing was used.

as for me, i think 4th *may* have had post-processing, but i find it well within the realm of possibility that it was straight LW, especially after threads such as this:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33682
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Stooch View Post
    you can buy software but you cant buy good taste
    I'm not saying anything about this thread other than that if a contest has rules, they should be followed to a tee--no exceptions. Aside from that, I'd just like to say that the above is a really good quote!

Why don't they just show most of the material summited and let the community post their views. than we can see if the majority of the communities standards are higher then NewTek's.

Well, I've just finished watching the winning reels. I can see where the complaints are valid. I think most of you are going about this the wrong way. My question is: are the judges really qualified to judge? If 50% was based on originality/creativity - where was that in the four reels? Number two's final fantasy computer game reel is far from original. The fact is nothing was original, so why was original and creative lumped together?

Quote Originally Posted by frantbk View Post
    Why don't they just show most of the material summited and let the community post their views. than we can see if the majority of the communities standards are higher then NewTek's.
    I think in future this is one of the best ways to handle this - peer-review at least should flag-up to NT what we all think.....if they choose other criteria then so be it.

I feel a bit bad about being negative over the winners work, but we are talking about promoting professional software at a very high-end show, never mind afterwards in general. NT allow open-betas to get our opinions and testing, they now ask us what we think about the future of LW, so why not involve the community in marketing. Let's face it, first 9.5 goes GM without any docs, now we have this attempt at marketing.....

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

Well, I think it's safe to say that this contest had about everything to do with generating Lightwave Marketing at Siggraph and very little to do with rewarding and recognizing those for quality work in Lightwave. Even out of the four contest entries that won, the one (at least in a lot of people's opinions here anyway) that came in first wasn't the best one. But it did mention Lightwave 9 and Siggraph so apparently Newtek found what they were looking for in that entry and it had little to do with the guidelines they setup for us.

I like the thoughts of having us on the forum give a good opinion of the animations in the contest to influence decision. Some of the stuff I've seen on this forum was 10 times better then that robot.
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

oh c'mon

I think robot is not bad at all - animation is funny, I like the way he's move. It need a bit polishing (materials, light, render) but it's much better than for example my short - it's clear, camera is OK, animation is simple but good... and it's 15 sec, no doubt lightwave. And it looks like made for this competition. We can post our votes in this thread, but I'm OK with results.
    I think we learn a lot. I do.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast