Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plasma effects!

plasma effects!

well.. thought I should fill this forum up a little check movie..and pic

somekind of plasma effect or energy field, maybe something for the green lantern heroe I donīt know.

geometry displaced in layout,very heavy subdivisions and then added hypervoxels sprites with very small particle size.
    added the shine in aftereffects with trapcode shine and also changed the color from originally blue to green.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plasma effect.jpg 
Views:	905 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	61446  
    Attached Files Attached Files

That looks good. I have never used AfterEffects. I am going to check it out though.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

well ..shine is a plugin from trapcode and not native in aftereffects..easy
    to set up the light shine in aftereffects..but the rest is all Lightwave, with object displacement and hypervoxels sprites.

Itīs basicly the same principle as used as in this thread over at spinquad.
    check the fourth post at that thread (phamarus)

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87003

Michael

That is very cool. It looks like the same technique could be used to make wispy smoke or steam. Is there any chance you would care to post your scene

Plus you can move an object through it without a harsh line like from a polygon. Could even get some interesting collision of gas against a ship hull, like in the Voyager intro.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Hmmm I wonder what would happen if you applied this technique to a mesh version of William Vaughan's "pin" tutorial and drive the smoke from an alpha channel of another animation. Could be pretty interesting.... or ... it could suck.. I wish I had time to try it.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    Plus you can move an object through it without a harsh line like from a polygon. Could even get some interesting collision of gas against a ship hull, like in the Voyager intro.
    well that voyager intro was all particles I believe, to be able to get that dynamic response I would have to make it a cloth object and a little different approach when rendering out the hypervoxels, after calculation..in the file tab of cloth, the play mode has to be changed that will work, otherwise the hv sprites wonīt follow the animation.

remember this is hv sprites directly on to the subdivision points, so it might give a decent look, but I havenīt tried to acheive that kind of dynamic look yet.
    also since itīs geometry...whenever the stretching or displacement gets to big, the distance between points will be more pronounced and that will show up as big gaps in the hypervoxels, the same problem as not having enough high amount of particles.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    Hmmm I wonder what would happen if you applied this technique to a mesh version of William Vaughan's "pin" tutorial and drive the smoke from an alpha channel of another animation. Could be pretty interesting.... or ... it could suck.. I wish I had time to try it.
    yeah sounds interesting but also very complex, after all we would need another animation, itīs probably like if we were to use smoke fluids from Dynamite fluids and then used it together with this and that would probably be overworking it since all we would have to use is Dynamite.

but I get the Idea, I think

Michael

any chance of the scene file prometheus ??

Regards, John
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Its similar in a way to the smoky cloth of the oracle in the movie 300 and that was all done in LightWave
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

very cool prometheus!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Its similar in a way to the smoky cloth of the oracle in the movie 300 and that was all done in LightWave
    yeah..itīs kind of similar but they used bones and morphs and surface shading that is way faster and production friendly perhaps.

However Im not sure about that smoke, If they could have used hypervoxels on the smoke objects, I would say it could have looked better, since hv sprites pick up light and the point gathering and intersection creates a density
    in a more natural smoke way, and that seems to be impossible to acheive with surfaces.
    Itīs fully understandable thou why they didnīt use hypervoxels.

I wonder if hypervoxels in a near future will be able to apply on the whole object and not only points and particles so it wouldnīt matter how much the object is deformed, the shading would still be there without breakups.
    or for particles that distance between particle parameter, or why not a hv rendertime interpolator that checks distance between particle and fills in gaps where it is needed, that way it wouldnīt need that much particles to calculate.

Ohh and no sorry..I will not post the scenefile, I will do a tutorial on this when I get my cute butt moving.

Michael

Hey even better mate, a tutorial would be great,

Regards, John
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop