Thread: Trees blowing in the wind

Trees blowing in the wind

I am trying to create trees that blow in the wind. I know how to do it with endomorphs and textured displacements, but I was wondering about the wind emitter. I have never used it before. Can it blow trees around? If anyone can tell me of any tutorials about the wind emitter, I would appreshiate it.

Evil Bastard Incorporated
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalker113 View Post
    I was wondering about the wind emitter. I have never used it before. Can it blow trees around? If anyone can tell me of any tutorials about the wind emitter, I would appreshiate it.
    No, unfortunately. You see your model tree is just that... a static model with no flexibility built in. The wind emitter is a dynamic object and needs other dynamic objects to interact with, like particles, excellent for creating leaves being blown about or accurate smoke movement, but it won't bend a model around.
    This little chapter in history is over, ended, finito, no more, an ex chapter.

You might try IK Booster with bone dynamics applied. About half way through the video he applies a wind emitter to move the bones. Just turn it upside down and it is a tree

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movi...neDynamics.mov

Newbie Member

:o)

You can use Cloth and wind dynamics. Here are a link :

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9309

Thanks for the links

Today I was messing around with textured displacements in order to make a pine tree leaves sway. I used the fractual noise texture. The tree looked nice, although it didn't look natural. Often, the upper part of the tree will sway more then the bottom, so I decided to try and use a gradient. I created a weight map, and made the bottom of the tree feel 20% of the weights effect. And the top of the tree 100% everything eles was in between and gradually increased, up the tree. I went to the displacement editor and added a gradient that used the weight map I created, but it didnt seem to work. I messed around with the settings, I thought I got somthing, but the weight map seemed to work in the opposite way, making the bottom sway the most. I tried reversing the gradient, and clicking invert layer, but it didn't do much.

Do you mean like this? (the rar is a zipped file with an AVI of a tree test I did a while ago.) I did it with displacement and falloff.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    I did it with displacement and falloff.
    Could you please explain better?

I didnt even think of a falloff, thanks.