Thread: The deadline was noon, not midnight, right?

The deadline was noon, not midnight, right?

Just checking to make sure it wasn't a typo in the entry info.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

midnight tonight
    Andrew with a [B]Y[/B]
    Senior Creative Artist, Marketing
    [url]http://www.newtek.com[/url]
    ----
    [URL="http://www.greenkiwi.co.nz/footprints/mongolia/ghengis_history.htm"]Genghis Khan[/URL]

What, the Earth ends at midnight, not at noon? I wonder if I can get a refund for these planetary escape tickets.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

for some reason I was reading the 11:59:59 PM as 12:59:59 PM.

I probably can't use what I'm working on anyway because of the Domino's Pizza artwork on the Domino's Pizza boxes. I just like the way it's turning out and thought it might be fun to enter in the contest. It's too late to render now anyway.
    Last edited by dwburman; 07-31-2008 at 08:26 PM.

I started posting my animation at 10:55 my time then checked and found out San Antonio was 1 hour ahead off us. It started uploading before the deadline but went over and eventually crapped out. (past time?)
    Now here is the funny part. After rendering the anim all day and using our 3 Lightwave stations (all Q6600 quad cores) I picked out a range of files from my 900 frame animation. Frame 350 to 850. After all this rushing around and compiling stills and rendering with the stills as a backdrop then I realize I have compiled a 500 frame animation!!!!!!!! It should have only been 450 to fall under the contests 15 second limit.
    So even if i would have got a succesful upload it still would have been disqualified because it was too long.
    I will try to post a scaled down anim on the forums anways just to show what i acomplished.
    From the land of 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding

I have tried to enter two contests from various companies, Each time I was unable to successfully upload my entry. Oh well, what might have been...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_y View Post
    midnight tonight
    Brrrr , don't understand, your massage is signed today and watch says what today is August 01. Anyway, did you get my 5th movie ? It's called Frozen 2 if yes pleas ignore Frozen 1.

It's not a surprise this caused some trouble. The next time you host something with a deadline, do everyone a favor and provide a zone that can't be missinterpreted, such as UTC (same as CUT, GMT), and 24h clock rather than AM/PM! Then, ONLY for convenience and perhaps as confirmation, provide a US time and maybe CET/CST, because you do have some european customers aswell.

So is it over yet or what? I can't tell from this discussion. (Just wanted to highlight how clever it is to provide a more definitive time value, rather than just "midnight tonight" which means different things depending on where you are and when you read the post.)

EDIT:
    I think it was great with a contest and wish everyone good luck!
    Last edited by evenflcw; 08-01-2008 at 06:54 AM.

CST is normally GMT-6 but in the summer it's GMT-5 so if the the entry deadline is 11:59:59 PM CST DST then in UTC 24-hour it's 18:59:59 if I did the math right... which often is not the case
    Last edited by dwburman; 08-01-2008 at 02:03 PM.