Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Calibration for sources

Auto Calibration for sources

I do not hear a lot of talk about using the internal calibration tool (utility)for camera setup. If you have not tried it, you should...it works great!! I was demonstrating the tricaster to a friend who shades cameras on large production trucks, and he was amazed at what a great job this utiility did!!!!
    Regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by mahasf View Post
    I do not hear a lot of talk about using the internal calibration tool (utility)for camera setup. If you have not tried it, you should...it works great!! I was demonstrating the tricaster to a friend who shades cameras on large production trucks, and he was amazed at what a great job this utiility did!!!!
    Cool. Specifically, what type of colorbars did you have generated from each video source, Alan -- 75% SMPTE? 100% SMPTE? or Full Field?

An inquiring mind would like to know.

Q1

75% from the cameras
    Regards,
    Alan

75% from the cameras
    Demoed TriCaster to a friend who's up to his eyeballs in media production experience, and he too was utterly wowed at the ability of NewTek's TriCaster STUDIO product to match up his JVC HD100U cameras spot-on, and in little time at all!

Sheer amazement is on the faces of those who see it first-hand, right before their very eyes.

Q1
    :agree:

For the newbies, could you explain the process?

I place all of my cameras on color bars. I then go to the input section of the tricaster and restore all settings for each camera to default using the button--restore defaults, I then use the pulldown "Calibrate" to 75% bars for each camera, take the cameras off of bars and frame my cameras to a similar setup, and tweak.
    Regards,
    Alan

the envy showed on their faces

Last Saturday we did a six camera shooting activity and we were banging with the best service providers on the island. We were entrusted with the video filming while one of our major competitors was entrusted with the setting up of the big screen to air the activity for the people seated down away from the action. Naturally we had to give them the composit video out. It was a most colourful night, including fireworks, and when we switched from one camera to other, the colours were perfect. They could not believe their eyes and we could noticed they had difficulty breathing comfortable. 3 cheers to tricaster auto calibrating.
    Last edited by TIMECARE; 08-10-2008 at 02:58 PM.

I place all of my cameras on color bars. I then go to the input section of the tricaster and restore all settings for each camera to default using the button--restore defaults, I then use the pulldown "Calibrate" to 75% bars for each camera, take the cameras off of bars and frame my cameras to a similar setup, and tweak.
    Someone ought to create a video on this so us rookies get a clue..You lost me at "Frame my cameras to similar setup, and tweak"

Thanks in Advance Todd.

Mahasf, You brought up a good point that is often missed. I tried to calibrate once and didn't get the results I expected and remembered that I didn't reset the input settings. I can't say that you have to, but after resetting the input settings to default, I got much better calibration.

Geeknews, what he was saying is after you calibrate your cameras, and take them off color bars, try and frame all cameras similar, i.e. all cameras frame a medium shot of someone.
    That will help you manually fine tune all cameras to match.
    Hope that helps.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    Geeknews, what he was saying is after you calibrate your cameras, and take them off color bars, try and frame all cameras similar, i.e. all cameras frame a medium shot of someone.
    Hope that helps.
    Makes perfect sense thanks as soon as my box gets back from repair I am going to be experimenting with this. Its topics like this for the rookies like me that go ohhh man that makes so much sense..

Great Thread
    Thanks
    Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    ... try and frame all cameras similar, i.e. all cameras frame a medium shot of someone.
    Hope that helps.
    When auto-calibrating and tweaking our 5 or 6 cameras for basketball, we frame all of our cameras on the logo @ center court. The logo includes blue, orange, black, and white... so it gives us a variety of colors. Plus, don't forget to look at the color of the court.

I adjust the colors and settings for camera one to please my eye, then match the rest of the cameras to look the same as camera 1.

Ourdoor games are even more fun (not)! A lot of our games started with the sun setting. We would often have to re-white balance and shade the cameras during commercials or half time. (But this if off-topic since it doesn't really have to do with auto-calibration.)

Newbie Member
    Hello All!

I know this is an old post, but we're getting a new Tricaster this week so I'm doing some homework.
    Am I understanding correctly that you all are starting the calibration process in the box and then tweaking on the cameras manually? Or are there tweaks you are making to individual inputs inside the box?

Thanks in advance!

D out ITNOJ

We always do the auto calibrate on TriCaster using the camera's color bars. Then we make adjustments on the individual inputs in TriCaster.
    Make sure and do a white balance on the cameras before adjusting anything on TriCaster.
    Was that your question?
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Newbie Member
    Yes, that was my question. Thanks!

Sorry about my dumb question..

But it makes absolutely no sense to calibrate cameras with an generator based feed like color bars out of the camera.

The different pictures (colors, gamma, levels) are a result of not perfect calibrated internal processing of the camera. If you switch on the color bars, this internal processing is disabled. How can you match the cameras with a generator based source???

I would understand it if you frame all cameras on a reference color plate and do the matching then - but with the color bar generator?

Sorry but I've never heard of that method.

Maybe you could explain it to me and clarify my wrong thoughts.

Regards

Pro

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast