Thread: UV's Again

Newbie Member

UV's Again

Hi there.
    Thanks to all thoes who helped me out last time i now have a fully textured building, theres just one small problem.
    As my building is a model for a game it must be scaled up quite a bit to be a realistic size in the scene. This means that the texture is streatched to the point where any surface details become little more than similarly coloured blobs.
    My question is: Is there a way to tile an image accross uv data so that the surface detail will be visible when scaled up?

I hope so because the only way i can think of to do this is to split the object up into very small parts and uv them separately. I already tried this with a fence. I made each poly of the fence into uv map and apllied the whole image to them indevidually. It works but i wouldn't fancy doing anything organic this way.

Why does the building need to be scaled up? Were you not working at full scale when you built it? In any case, you can make your UV map images the size you want them, they just need to be square. Thus you can put more detail in the image map that is mapped onto the polygons at whatever scale you choose to have your building.

If you want to create a template for your UV map image there are two ways to go about it. The first is to expand the UV texture window to fullscreen and do a screengrab. A much better way is to export the contents of the UV texture window as an EPS file. You can set which parts you want and put it on a background layer so that you can draw over the top and hide the UVs when you are done before saving the image.
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Newbie Member
    Cheers mate. I think im getting there now.