Thread: Transformers

Transformers

anybody know how to animate a Transformer transforming like in the movie?

Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Quote Originally Posted by seirus501 View Post
    Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Od82001iU

My basic process was to build the vehicle first. Then work out which pieces should roughly go where. Break it up. Build a skeleton rig. Pose it folded up to fit within the bike. Parented all the pieces of the bike to various parts of the skeleton, then unfolded the skeleton and started adjusting the movement.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

I dont know, I dont think either of you really answered his question, both your transformations were coherent, logical, and filmed such that you could actually tell what was happening.

To quote the song of lament in Team America, "why does Micheal Bay get to keep making movies?"
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Agreed, I felt sorry for the toy manufacturers that actually had to make the new transformers 'work' ...
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

It must have been a nightmare. I read the making of and they scaled bits differently, broke parts, all sorts... There really wasn't a coherent transform in the bunch... But then if you watch both our anims, bits come out of nowhere in each...
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

The most beautiful and convincing transoromation is of course still the Valkyrie VF-1 and subsequent variants, from the Japanese animated series Robotech.

Which also happens to be a transformer .

Confusing.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by seirus501 View Post
    What I can tell you from the Siggraph presentation last year on Transformers is that the sequences were created using a custom designed rigging system. This system allowed them to dynamically stack parenting and create mobile pivot points. This allowed them to rotate, scale, move any piece, attach it to any other piece, etc.

Most transformation sequences were animated by one crazy guy who had to use this rigging system to stuff all the robot pieces inside the vehicles over as few as 30 frames (a lot longer for some changes obviously). Every transformation was different as a result, no shortcuts like set-driven keys to drive the whole change.

For the actual transformation sequences they used a lot of sleight-of-hand to switch out pieces on the fly. For example, whenever a body piece rotated away from the camera (or vice versa) it was easy to switch it out for another piece on the reverse side. This can be seen in the scene where Blackout transforms: When he bends down before standing up they switch out the entire torso section. Also when Optimus arrives to fight Megatron huge sections of the truck are simply pulled off and their visibility keyed off. If you see the wireframe preview though you can see that they haven't gone anywhere; they're just hanging invisibly in space around him when the sequence completes.

I think that if you want to recreate this effect in LW you probably want to check out Proton's video on using multiple nulls for pivot points (should be listed in the 24+ hours of free video training post). Without scripting this is probably the closest thing to the rigging system used for the film. There are some great videos done in LW of transformer sequences too, just search the forums for the links.

There's also a great article somewhere out there on an ad that Saab did a few years ago showing a jet transforming into a car. I believe the commercial used LW and the article discussed the workflow for setting up the sequence farely throughly.

-Oliver

Still haven't seen the movie. (I know, I'm a looser, hehe )

Wish I could see it.

Most transformation sequences were animated by one crazy guy...
    One guy did it all??!

I think that if you want to recreate this effect in LW you probably want to check out Proton's video on using multiple nulls for pivot points...
    Thanks Looked cool. ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movi...multipivot.mov

This cyclist one is also interesting, ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/cyclist.mov

IKB belive it or not can do something simillar, check for 3 Boosterlink videoes at www.ikboost.com

Then there is dynamics, can be used as well, and follower.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Also cool, for simple mechanical movement,
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84828
    (http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachm...5&d=1212503406)

I think the trick to make a transformer would be to make a "rough" transformation first, for then to tweak it, over and over, then add smaller animated pieces, untill you get the quality you are aiming for.
    Last edited by erikals; 07-23-2008 at 10:34 AM.

The toy company now will sell two models one is the robot and the other is the car. The boys will inbetween the transformation in the imagination, he he.

The Transformers film is amazing, although some pieces could not enter that place, but they're ALIEN TECHnology. So everything is possible.

I really preffer something more realistic, I mean, I don't like metals that stretches, disappear and change shapes but anyway the film is great! I loved it!
    Silvio Toledo
    Brazil

This a commercial I am working on for my current employer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-qb0GMpg2M

It features a transforming indy car.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by othornton View Post
    Most transformation sequences were animated by one crazy guy...
    That actually makes sense.

sort of... I just can't belive how much work that would have been... : o

shrox, like it, but I think the render could be more realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    sort of... I just can't belive how much work that would have been... : o

shrox, like it, but I think the render could be more realistic?
    It's a WIP, another render pass and fixing the trees.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.