Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DP Kit "Curvatures" blur?

DP Kit "Curvatures" blur?

Hello, I've been using DP Kit quite extensively here but could really use some help on this one.
    I'm trying to use the Curvatures node to highlight bevelled edges for use as alpha masks for features such as weathering and chipped paintwork. Normally weight maps would suffice but I was really looking for a shader based solution as a time saver.
    Curvatures works great for this on curvy surfaces, but proper hard surface models don't fair so well.
    I've tried using the DP Blur filter, but that doesn't appear to work with Curvatures.

As you can see, 'Curvatures' is nicely highlighting the bevelled edges, but I am unable to create a soft blend into the flatter areas.

Anyone got any ideas or am I stuck with a nasty weight mapping task?

Curvatures node could not be affected by the Blur Filter node,
    because Curvatures is geometry related and Blur works only
    on spot position, but this spot belongs still to the same polygon.
    Even with a Gradient node, you couldn't achieve this
    effect because polygons have the same curvature.

Edge node could do a fuzzed colored edge and fake the
    rounded edge too, on a simple box, but if you need a
    real rounded box, I think that a node tree will be
    more complicated than a simple gradient image
    with an UV map.

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    Edge node could do a fuzzed colored edge and fake the
    rounded edge too, on a simple box, but if you need a
    real rounded box, I think that a node tree will be
    more complicated than a simple gradient image
    with an UV map.

Denis.

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the response. I was looking for a shader based approach due to the amount of geometry I have like this to texture. In simple terms I was looking for something that does the inverse of EE_Grit - something that highlights the exposed edges with a falloff, just as EE_grit does with recesses.

At the moment I've been using a combination of AO and Curvatures to do this, but certain situations, such as this cube, fail.

With a simpler geometry (not rounded) Edge node
    works like that, I think that it is convincing at a reasonable
    distance for the camera,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge_cube2.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	60033 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge_cube.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	60032

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    With a simpler geometry (not rounded) Edge node
    works like that, I think that it is convincing at a reasonable
    distance for the camera,

Name:	edge_cube2.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	60033 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge_cube.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	60032

Denis.

Yeah, that's true, and we looked at the Edge node first, but sadly these models are very highpoly with every edge bevelled - but it doesn't work with bevelled edges and suffers the same fate as Curvatures.

Your question is bit perverse, since you showed a simple rounded box,
    and then you are speaking of a highpoly model, how about its
    topology?

I think reducing a highpoly to get only one edge instead of
    roundish poly could be possible, or like I said before a complex
    nodal tree but should draw fuzzy edge, only if your model
    (like the box) has only horizontal and vertical sides,
    since the edge polys have same smoothing angle and
    curvature, the last thing should be to get the local normal
    make it positive vector, find the maximum (horiz or vert)
    component, power it to control the fuzz and use it
    as opacity in a Mixer node,

Name:	edge_tree.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	60035

Denis.

Thanks for your time Denis. Sadly reducing the geometry to take advantage of your Edge node is not an option and the cube isn't the best example.

I'll try and put together a better example later on.

Here's a good example of the kind of objects that are in need of texturing. As you might imagine, applying weight maps and UV maps to this sort of thing is very hard - I have done it that way in the past. But what I'm really looking for is a much quicker, procedural way of creating the "dry brushing" effect on all the exposed edges.

EE_Grit works just fine for the crevices, but the inverse of EE_Grit is needed for the warn and chipped paintwork for all the sticky-out bits.

I hope this is a better example? (yes, I know this is a photo, but I can't show any of the actual work)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IW-banblade-01.JPG 
Views:	426 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	60044  

Yes...
    It is more a paint task and you could not find a shader for
    all situations, if you just need to texture effect for the rounded edge,
    why not baking the curvature or edge node effect and bluring the
    resulted image before using it ?

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattoo View Post
    EE_Grit works just fine for the crevices, but the inverse of EE_Grit is needed for the warn and chipped paintwork for all the sticky-out bits
    Funny you should say that. Enter a negative sensitivity in ee_GritNode and seeif that does what you need...

Using dpont's Replace Spot node might help that setup, but I wouldn't know, since that node isn't available for Mac AFAIK.
    Last edited by Weepul; 06-20-2008 at 03:42 PM.
    8x2.8 Mac Pro, 8 GB RAM, Radeon 2600XT, Mac OS X 10.5.6 (previously: G5 Quad)
    Caution: tech-savvy artist in full-on geek mode. May obsess over technical challenges until solved.

Quote Originally Posted by weepul View Post
    Funny you should say that. Enter a negative sensitivity in ee_GritNode and seeif that does what you need...

Using dpont's Replace Spot node might help that setup, but I wouldn't know, since that node isn't available for Mac AFAIK.
    AAAAHHH!!!! Holy crap! That works! Why didn't I think of that?!?! Answers on a postcard to:

Mr A N Idiot
    132 Obvious Terrace
    New Doltsville
    Stupidland

I'll have to try it out properly when I get back to the office, but it certainly works well on this bevelled cube!

Thanks Weepul, I owe you a pint! (or twelve)

No problem. Before you celebrate too heartily though, when I tried it, it kept giving me faint traces of polygon edges, which is why Replace Spot might help (to offset the ray start position)...
    Caution: tech-savvy artist in full-on geek mode. May obsess over technical challenges until solved.

No problem. Before you celebrate too heartily though, when I tried it, it kept giving me faint traces of polygon edges, which is why Replace Spot might help (to offset the ray start position)...
    Yeah, I got that too, but I goofed with the gamma a bit and it went away. However, I might have to bug you about that if it does become a problem...

OK, I give up. How might one use Denis' Replace Spot tool to get rid of the wireframe effect?

The Replace Spot tool is part of Denis' Image Filter nodes, it hurts my brain to imagine how that might work.

Well, I'd be hard pressed to help you with that one, since I can't try it for myself (no Mac version)... If it works like I think it works, it could be used to help, but I'd really be hesitant to try explaining how without being able to use it hands-on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast