Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cel Animation

Just about finished with the overall form. I liked the arm and leg wraps from the ninjas so I borrowed that idea and made my own wraps for this guy. Still working on coloring. I may add some ribbons to his wrist as well to add more visual movement to the scene when he waves his arms around. Still not totally keen on the helm.

For some reason he seems too small in stature. Anyone else see that? I may lengthen his legs a bit and see if that helps. I'm doing away with the staff. I want both his hands free for casting some type of spell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WizColor4.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	60409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WizColor5.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	60410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WizColor6.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	60411  
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

His torso looks to be a little on the short side, but I really didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Looking great - keep it up!
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

cool chara....
    amazing technique i think its an anime at first!!! the smoke anim really great...reminds me of Hoshi no Koe (but Mr CMT smoke looks more stylish )
    wonder.....Mr.CMT what kind of weapon you'll give him???

I think you need another set of color shapes for specular and highlight. Looks great!
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

I'm just going to be amazed that you can animate him with all those accessories. It looks like a headache to me.
    As far as the proportions, I think they look ok. The torso might be a little short but I don't think I would have noticed it had you not mentioned it. Honestly what struck me was looking at the back shot you showed, It almost looks like someone who put their clothes on backwards. I was thinking maybe there's not enough exaggeration between the shoulders and midsection (other then the clothing) as well as not enough curvature of the spine and legs. Like he's almost straight up and down? Anyone else think that? Especially considering it is going for an anime style. Dont' get me wrong, it looks very good, I'm just thinking it could make a more powerful silhouette with more exaggeration. I don't mean more muscular because I know this is a warlock and not a brick but even skinny characters are usually built with some exaggeration of form.
    If you don't get what I'm saying, look at my poor illustration below. Excuse the childlike execution, I don't have a wacom or anything, it's mouse drawing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	60428  

Nice work CMT... great concept and costume design. Definitely needs to be taller in stature though... exaggerating the length of limbs is a classic convention in comic book art.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Cool. I love the colours and shading.

Reminds me of Battle of the Planets (showing my age there!)
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Cool. I love the colours and shading.

Reminds me of Battle of the Planets (showing my age there!)
    Indeed!
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Battle of the Planets, eh? LOL! He does kind of look a bit futuristic, doesn't he?

I was a huge Star Blazers fan myself which came out a couple years after that. That was my first experience viewing animé.

Anyway, here's a magical Sigil/Ward or whatever he will be conjuring up at some point. Took lunch at work yesterday to whip this up.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

Nice wip CMT it is all coming along nicely so far. The Sigil/Ward thing is cool, is there a way to make it a bit less sharp? just thinking it would be cool if it was kinda warping/shimmering perhaps on an animated plane witih maybe some random transparency moving across it or something, like an animated procedural on the alpha. Less solid you know?

I like the shader you have come up with this and the more purple colour scheme is the pick of the bunch imo.

it's looking pretty cool. I wonder if the breadth of the clothing that is making him seem shorter than he really is.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

I worked a bit more on the Sigil at lunch again today (which is just about the only time I can find for this these days). Just tried to make it a bit more interesting.

I'm not sure if I'll have much time to continue on this as a few projects suddenly popped up which I need to take care of. Nevertheless, I'll keep going on it as I find time, but I doubt I'll make the contest deadline. I might just leave the cloak off to save some time, though I was really looking forward to doing some clothfx with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123