Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fprime as final output ?

Newbie Member

Fprime as final output ?

I will do this short, cus i dotn have an awfull lot of time on my hands right now.

I have been thinking about, whether fprime has a higher quality as renderer than the native lightwave render? I have noticed alot of renderers on the forum done by fprime, and it confuses me a litlle, as i thought the main advantage was the crazy *** previews it creates.

So i guess im asking. Why render the final image with fprime?

Hope this havent been asked a thousand times, couldnt find a post with my question..

Well, I use FPrime as a final because its quicker, and I can stop it when I'm happy with it. With LW's native renderer you're kind of locked in to what it is. With FPrime, you can keep looking at it to see if its where you want it to be. LW's renderer is great, but it is what it is, and with some high end setups you literally hit render and go on vacation because it takes ages, especially with radiosity.

I think others will have a better answer to your question, but this is what I know!
    System X Mac SC platform/Mac Pro cluster/custom variable Dualyne System

Also, theres Kray, which I hav'nt used, but which also has great results, especially for interiors.
    System X Mac SC platform/Mac Pro cluster/custom variable Dualyne System

FPrimes main advantage is previewing and the speed. Many times the FPrime render doesnt match what LW is doing. Sometimes it takes FPrime a decent amount of time to go thru enough iterations to get rid of any graininess.

It really is both a previewer and final renderer. I try to render final in Fprime for everything...but sometimes I need to use the native renderer for different reasons. The cool thing is Lightwave's renderer is fantastic. As far as "better" they are very comparable...normally Fprime is way faster for the highend stuff.

Seriously consider checking Kray out. Well worth the money. I use it in conjunction with LW's internal renderer now for a lot of stuff. Isn't great on exterior scenes, but it's hard to beat with interiors.

I chose it against Fprime because:

1. Fprime is tied to your dongle.
    2. Worley development, especially on Mac plugins, seems to have slowed.
    3. Kray render quality looks as good or better as Fprime's.
    4. Kray's customer service is incredible. I haven't been blown away with Worley's service.
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Also consider that LWs renderer is always improving especially with radiosity.

I know alot of people render final animation with F-prime but I've never been able to get satisfactory AA out of it. I always have to render at a larger resolution, and it takes just as long as LW to get rid of all the noise and grain. It's an awesome previewer though!

It's substantially faster than LW if you use uninterpolated Monte Carlo, which you currently need if you want animated deformations with GI.
    Another reason for Rendering in Fprime is that it will exactly match the Fprime preview. LW may not.
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18493&dateline=130857  4707

I dont mind purchasing 3rd party plugins at all

Newbie Member
    Thank you for explaining Its because i read about how great lightwaves native renderer is on almost any place they discuss render apps. So i was kinda confused at, why people then would use fprime as final output...

Thank you all. Mark

to me fprime is also good because sometimes I have memory problems to render with lightwave (large output renders) and fprime can always do it.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjaggy View Post
    I know alot of people render final animation with F-prime but I've never been able to get satisfactory AA out of it. I always have to render at a larger resolution, and it takes just as long as LW to get rid of all the noise and grain. It's an awesome previewer though!
    Very true!
    Nearly impossible to get rid of "crawling" textures and aliasing effects on fine details with FPrime. I love FPrime for the preview capabilities and even for rendering a still image! But animation? Sorry but...No.

I'm willing to wait for the far,far superior LW animation renders. Using the advanced cameras with adaptive sampling and oversampling gives you infinite more control over the final render.
    ...again...stills or previews? Love FPrime!
    Animation/image sequences? No.

Freelance 3D Artist
    I think for Final output, LW renderer has caught up and surpassed Fprime on a lot of areas. Sure it is using interpolated, but who cares, if the final render is still awesome.

For my money FPrime has it on speed. LW is getting better, but the GI is still to slow for the stuff I render. It's quality equals LW, so no problems there. All ny Veyron shots were rendered with FPrime.

Also, on the subject of AA, some things just won't fully resolve with FPrime, but LW has always suffered and still does.

Cheers!
    Craig A Clark
    Scorpio CGI
    My TWITTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast