Thread: Accidentally registered my trial software with the wrong 12 digit key, but it worked?

Newbie Member

Accidentally registered my trial software with the wrong 12 digit key, but it worked?

I was entering in the key that appeared in modeler into the text box on the register page for the trial edition of LightWave and instead of ending it with an "8" like my number did, I accidentally hit "9" and registered with the wrong number. Did I just accidentally activate someone else's LightWave trial or what?

And what happens if I decide to buy LightWave? Will that mess anything up when I purchase the full version?
    Last edited by totakeke; 05-25-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Just go into the "license.key" file in your programs directory and change it. No big deal.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Newbie Member
    I can't find my license.key file, it isn't there. I'm running Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by totakeke View Post
    I can't find my license.key file, it isn't there. I'm running Vista.
    Running Vista shouldn't matter. The license.key file should be in your "Programs" directory. If it isn't there, then put one there. Just open WordPad, type in your license key (including the dashes) and save it as license.key. There's nothing magic about the file. It's simply text.

Newbie Member
    Okay, I did it. It didn't really answer my question (I'll just call NewTek, I just want to make sure that that serial number doesn't get issued again and have it not work, but it shouldn't since it's already registered.) but what will this .key file do anyway?

The serial number is paired with your LOCK-ID number. Putting in an incorrect serial number will simply keep Modeler and Layout in trial mode.

When you install the software, there is no "license.key" file until you either use the registration dialog from within LW, use the registration utility (found in your Programs directory), or create one using a text editor of your choosing.

If you mis-typed the original serial number in the registration dialog, my guess is that it didn't match your dongle's LOCK-ID, thus ignoring it and not writing the file to begin with.

When you perform the "register funtion" by using the dialog or the utility program, it doesn't send the information anywhere. It simply writes a file.

Does that cover it, or did I misunderstand the question (which is entirely possible - it's late).

Newbie Member
    I downloaded LightWave and then went to register it. When I opened modeler the dialog with that 12 digit number came up, the number you have to register to get the license key. (At least I think that's what it is, it's the one you enter in Layout.) I typed in the 12digit number online while registering, but got the last digit wrong (9 instead of 8). It registered anyway and gave me the serial number I need to unlock the trial mode. Doesn't this mean that the 12 digit number could get sent out to someone else since it isn't the one that came with the download or no because it probably got sent to some NewTek server as already registered? (Hope this all makes sense.)

Ahhh yes. Now I understand. You registered online with the 12 digit serial number and typed the last number wrong. It gave you the 16 digit license key for the wrong serial number. I think we mixed up the terms serial number and license key here.

No worries. I also didn't see that you were talking about the trial version (not like the words "trial version" in the subject line didn't give it away).

If your trial version is still in "discovery mode" (discovery mode has the words "discovery mode" pasted all over the screen), then I'd try to re-register and get a valid key. If that doesn't work, then you are correct. The proper solution at that point would be to give NewTek a call and they will get it corrected.

Sorry for the confusion. In my overzealousness to help, I failed to pay attention to the fact that you were trying to use the trial version.

Newbie Member
    Lol that's okay. Thanks for the help.