Thread: Making a tree and leaves blow in the wind

Making a tree and leaves blow in the wind

Hi Can anyone point me in the right direction to making a tree with leaves blow as if it was a windy day ? as I would like to do this in an animation I am working on, thanks in advance.

One easy way to make the tree move and bend is using the bend deformation modifier in layout. Just make two nulls and place one(base) at the root of your tree and another(target) high above the tree. apply bend to your tree (properties->deform->add displacement->Deform: Bend) and chhose the two nulls as base and target. now you can move the traget null around and your tree will bend. Works quite good and is very simple to use and setup.

Sort of depends on how you've modeled the tree.

Attachment 59103

I'm thinking for a start, go for enveloped texture coordinates with the same UV map on both the colour and transparency channel with transparency set to %100 for the "leaves" rather than anything else to begin with.

The idea being that the polygons don't have to be animated or move, just the texture which will give the appearance of.

I can't remember whether or not you can envelope the same map for all duplicates, maybe someone else can fill the blanks in there.

m
    Last edited by meshpig; 02-18-2009 at 03:05 AM.

You can also do it using subtle displacement maps or endomorphs.
    This simple example is using a procedural texture to drive a single endomorph.
    http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/leaves.mov

thanks I will investigate all of these.