Thread: Node Collection.

Newbie Member

Node Collection.

A while back I was searching through these threads and discovered quite a few asking where they could get more nodes. Due to this, Imagination Exchange and 3D Exchange has authorized me to begin collecting nodes for their website due to come online June 1st: www.imaginationexchange.com .

Although these sites are going to be used by teachers of Lightwave there will be a student section wherein a library of nodes will be collected and kept. It is from here that everyone whether they be student, teacher, or user can have free access to the nodes collected there. It is our hope to gather a very extensive library in the hopes of aiding all who use Lightwave currently or are in the beginning process of doing so. This library of nodes will be an ongoing project meaning as long as their is participation nodes will continue to be added into their individual categories on a regular basis.

Lightwave has always been known for its community which is why I come to the Newtek boards to ask for everyones help in creating this library. Thank you in advance to all those who participate in bringing this to fruition.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] or through the messaging on this site.

The Arts are alive in me tonybliss's Avatar
    Nice .. thanks ...
    can't wait

Newbie Member
    Hopefully it does help out a lot of users. There is a discussion as to having a rating system assigned to each node so those who download them can critique and thereby create a system of quality not just quantity. That's something for further down the road though. Right now it's more of gathering and categorizing them.

Any help that can be offered is much appreciated by not only us, but I'm sure by those who will benefit from this down the road.

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    I hope you will consider also maintaining an index of nodes that are available elsewhere. There are many fine additional nodes where the authors prefer to keep them on their own web sites, not least to make sure that its always the most up-to-date version...

Hmm...

Maybe we could start building a list of freely downloadable additional nodes in this thread?

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by starbase1 View Post
    I hope you will consider also maintaining an index of nodes that are available elsewhere. There are many fine additional nodes where the authors prefer to keep them on their own web sites, not least to make sure that its always the most up-to-date version...
    This is actually a great idea. In fact, I'm in contact with one particular website as we speak:

http://www.lededesigns.com/component...odes/Itemid,4/

I think the end design will be a library of Nodes on 3D Exchange and Imagination Exchange's website with a collection of websites offering nodes as well. I think it would be best to have a collection all together, but you are absolutely correct where an author's preference is concerned. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Worst case scenario is we provide everyone with a small number of nodes and sites they can go to for additional libraries. LW is a pretty tight-knit community. It's all simply about helping everyone get a leg up.

Maybe we could start building a list of freely downloadable additional nodes in this thread?

Nick
    I'm all for this. Like I said, I'm not looking to step on anyone's toes, just trying to help everyone get a nice collection of nodes together to ease the workload.

IMO the ideal solution would be a Newtek Material/surface repository... aka vray, Fry, Maxwell etc etc......

Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    IMO the ideal solution would be a Newtek Material/surface repository... aka vray, Fry, Maxwell etc etc......
    This seems to have been treid before and dropped away in terms of interest and maintenance. I'm still hoping for the long awaited return of presetcentral!

Nick

Denis Pontonnier's excellent DP kit of additional nodes for Lightwave:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/pl...l_Nodes_2.html

Nick

The problem I've found, (and the reason I don't use presets) whether it was the presets bundled with LW or those at Preset Central is lack of quality.

I think the reason the Maxwell repository is popular is because 90% of the materials are astounding.

Quality control is a major issue and would be more responsibility than hosting the files.

Saying that, I'm all for a central repository If the quality was maintained, interest would be too.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    The problem I've found, (and the reason I don't use presets) whether it was the presets bundled with LW or those at Preset Central is lack of quality.

I think the reason the Maxwell repository is popular is because 90% of the materials are astounding.

Quality control is a major issue and would be more responsibility than hosting the files.

Saying that, I'm all for a central repository If the quality was maintained, interest would be too.
    I know what you mean... I think the keepers of such archives are reluctant to risk offending or discouraging people by rejecting uploads. Or surfaces may only work well with some types of lighting, or in qa particular environment (particularly if reflective).

But I have still found plenty of good ones in the past, and if they are very quick to download (as they generally are), I don't really mind if most are not worth using.

I think a well chosen sample object with consistent lighting can be a big help here, but is there a better way of controlling quality?

Perhaps some sort of 'Recommended by the host' tag could draw attention to the best stuff?

Still, a node library / index should have a lot less problems like this, and would also be something new.

Perhaps some sort of 'Recommended by the host' tag could draw attention to the best stuff?
    Or a rating system could be implemented so that the userbase can decide what's good and what's not.
    Maybe a separate section for nodal related tutorials would be of interest as well because from what I can see a lot of people still seem to struggle using the node editor. Once that problem is gotten rid of, productivity might increase a lot (hey, we are the LightWave community, I am sure there will be a lot community interaction )

Quote Originally Posted by Pomfried View Post
    Or a rating system could be implemented so that the userbase can decide what's good and what's not.
    Maybe a separate section for nodal related tutorials would be of interest as well because from what I can see a lot of people still seem to struggle using the node editor. Once that problem is gotten rid of, productivity might increase a lot (hey, we are the LightWave community, I am sure there will be a lot community interaction )
    The problem I see with that is that it is very rarely consistent, and few people bother to give ratings... If the site manager highlighted (say) the top 10%, you would be fairly sure that nothing that great would be missed... Could do both I suppose.

Newbie Member
    The problem I see with that is that it is very rarely consistent, and few people bother to give ratings... If the site manager highlighted (say) the top 10%, you would be fairly sure that nothing that great would be missed... Could do both I suppose.
    It's interesting quality is being brought up. This is something I spoke with these two companies about when we first talked about my gathering this for them. I recommended a rating system to them as well, fearing as everyone else here on the board does: quantity versus quality. I was told this would be something for later work up since the site itself is taking up quite a bit of their time.

So, a rating system is in the mix, but I agree with you concerning their inconsistencies and those who actually know what they're talking about rating them. That said, I love your idea for having a "Top 10%" or something to that effect. I have a meeting with the heads tonight. I'll bring up the concerns and, I hope you don't mind, but I'll bring up the idea of a "Top 10%". This should help stick a more quality versus quantity library out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nothgiel1 View Post
    It's interesting quality is being brought up. This is something I spoke with these two companies about when we first talked about my gathering this for them. I recommended a rating system to them as well, fearing as everyone else here on the board does: quantity versus quality. I was told this would be something for later work up since the site itself is taking up quite a bit of their time.

So, a rating system is in the mix, but I agree with you concerning their inconsistencies and those who actually know what they're talking about rating them. That said, I love your idea for having a "Top 10%" or something to that effect. I have a meeting with the heads tonight. I'll bring up the concerns and, I hope you don't mind, but I'll bring up the idea of a "Top 10%". This should help stick a more quality versus quantity library out there.
    Sounds good!
    Top 10% is a rotten title, perhaps something along the lines of 'recommended by the curator', with a thumbs up smily by it, would work better.

The other effect with rating systems that destroys their effectiveness is politeness. When I first started using radiosity to post images I was hoping to get feedback on what went down well with people who were not graphics techies. But it seems people almost only ever give maximum ratings, and only bother voting for stuff they like, so it was completely useless. I don't think I got even one bit of constructive criticism there...