Thread: Ability to confirm that streaming is actually streaming

Ability to confirm that streaming is actually streaming

I've had several clients report that everything was configured correctly for streaming: Clients who are always streaming to the same service provider, not entering any new info etc, but although the stream output button is engaged, nothing streams. Different day, same client, same location, same provider info etc.. and the stream is successful.

I know that there are many many pieces to the streaming puzzle, and often the trouble is non TriCaster related, but if there was some means to view the packets being sent just for piece of mind that would be great.

Bob Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by bob anderson View Post
    I've had several clients report that everything was configured correctly for streaming: Clients who are always streaming to the same service provider, not entering any new info etc, but although the stream output button is engaged, nothing streams. Different day, same client, same location, same provider info etc.. and the stream is successful.

I know that there are many many pieces to the streaming puzzle, and often the trouble is non TriCaster related, but if there was some means to view the packets being sent just for piece of mind that would be great.

Bob Anderson
    Might a broadband-equipped laptop PC or Mac in your toolset prove helpful in that regard, Bob?

No - Seriously!

(Yo! C'mon -- what's so funny?)

Q1

It wasn't me doing the streaming.. so this was a report I got from a few clients about the issue after the fact. I thought if you could <alt> <tab> or <ctrl> <alt><del> and at least confirm that WME was engaged that might be a it comforting.

Bob Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by bob anderson View Post
    It wasn't me doing the streaming.. so this was a report I got from a few clients about the issue after the fact. I thought if you could <alt> <tab> or <ctrl> <alt><del> and at least confirm that WME was engaged that might be a it comforting.

Bob Anderson
    I'd imagine that if you can go to the ADMIN panel of your TriCaster, then, using Windows Explorer, locate the Windows Media Encoder app, perhaps then you could possibly perform some keyboard key-combo, while clicking on the RESTART TRICASTER gadget, or whatever it's called.

From there, perhaps you could do some keyboard shortcut sleight-of-hand thingy to get a glimpse once Streaming has been effected. Makes sense to me, but I'm not sure how to pull that off.

Now that I see this is in the Feature Requests thr5ead, I must say, I think it's an excellent idea to have an upgrade with such "Stream Monitoring" capability.

Mind you, it needs to be implemented in a manner that's user-friendly and one which won't hinder the prospect of a reliable simultaneous live-switch/live-record-to-disk/live webstream, as the "stream monitoring gymnastics" I've alluded to above would likely present.

Q1

At the end of the day, afaics the only way to confirm your stream is getting out is to check it extenrally - i.e, outside your LAN.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    At the end of the day, afaics the only way to confirm your stream is getting out is to check it extenrally - i.e, outside your LAN.
    No argument there.

Q1