Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permissions Roadblock; need to move LW Project

Permissions Roadblock; need to move LW Project

I need to move a LW project from one of my macs to another. I keep butting up against permissions issues, and "can't find this or that file" issues.

Here's what I've tried:

drag project folder from Mac A to the Shared folder of Mac B across an ethernet connection.

one of two things happens: either I'm told I don't have enough permissions for some of the items and the transfer is roadblocked or incomplete, or, if it DOES go thru, and I try to open up a scene file to work on it, I get all this noise about "files can't be found" and generally it's pretty snarly and heinous.

I know this is prbly more of a "mac" problem and not really a LW problem, yet I'd appreciate any tips to make this transferring bidness go properly.

thanks for reading; thanks for any help.

J

It can be both. If you haven't used the Content Directory properly, you will have trouble, but if you have then it's a Mac thing.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

OK...I am pretty sure I properly used it...I open modeler, tell it where the project is, Quit Modeler, do the same for Layout.

Is there more to it that I should know about and could do?

thanks for any tips

J

self flagellating LW monk
    johnny,

content directory:
    your content folder should have these subfolders:
    Objects <- all of your objects go in here
    Images <- all of the images you use go in here
    Scenes <- all of the scene files go in here
    Motions <- all of your motion files go in here.

if you are referencing images or object or whatever in other places, Layout will invariably not be able to find them.

permissions:
    in leopard go to the finder, select the content directory, and get info on it.
    set the permissions for the content directory. at the bottom of the permissions block, there is a little gear pulldown. pull that down, and select apply to enclosed items.

good luck.

Do they not have Content Manager on the Mac version? If so, you should be able to use that (under the File dropdown) and select Export Scene. This will give you one folder with everything referenced in the scene. Then you can copy that folder to your other computer and set that folder as the Content Directory.

oh, they do. I was giving a quick primer on WHY and HOW to do it the right way from the beginning. even if Johnny knows all of this stuff, I felt that its more than fairly important that anybody reading this thread, see something that explains Beevee's comments clearly and as simply as possible.

the content manager is great, it just doesn't condition LWer's to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by eblu View Post
    johnny,

content directory:
    your content folder should have these subfolders:
    Objects <- all of your objects go in here
    Images <- all of the images you use go in here
    Scenes <- all of the scene files go in here
    Motions <- all of your motion files go in here.

if you are referencing images or object or whatever in other places, Layout will invariably not be able to find them.

yeah, that's how I have it set up and have always had it set up; save the Motions folder, which I don't have in this particular scene.

So, I guess the next thing for me to do is to examine what up with the permissions setting on that project folder..

I could have sworn that transferring to the Shared folder on the target machine would make all well, permissions-wise..

guess not!

Johnny

and I forgot to say thank you for your responses, too!

Johnny

Johnny,

I'm no expert but before you transfer your project file, you might want to make all of it's folders and files/ sub folders files readable and writable.
    You probably know this, but if you don't just do a cmd I to bring up your folders info panel and sharing and permissions is at the bottom. You can then give the folder and its sub folders/files read and write access by all, which hopefully might mean that they copy across with no issues. I can't promise that this will work, but it's worth a go.

regards

Paul
    Mac Pro 2 x 3.2ghz Quad core Intel Zeon 4GB ram Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

this is my profile

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/comm...baguley/1.html

basically, changing those permissions did seem to make the xfer go smoothly, except that when I load recent scenes I'd rendered (just to make sure they'd open properly) the pfx file wouldn't load; I'd get a "can't_load" error.

the scene otherwise opened, asking where this or that map was (no problem there, I guess) and rendered a frame.

I did have to use Batchmod to do the permissions-setting; I would get the warning "You don't have enough priveleges" when I clicked Apply to enclosed items in the Get Info Panel..

dunno what up with that; I gave my password...

thanks for the input...I'm hoping this failure to load the pfx file will be it, but I don't know WHY it won't load it, bcs it's right there in the scene folder where it always was!

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    the scene otherwise opened, asking where this or that map was (no problem there, I guess) and rendered a frame.
    If it's asking for image maps, then it means the current content directory is not set properly or the current (or previous) content directory is not structured properly.
    MikeS [LWProfile] 30+ Yrs of Award-winning Media DreamLight.com

Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ ScreamerNet - DLI Constellation
    BOOK - Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short & 3D CGI Short Films & DLI Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    ...I'm hoping this failure to load the pfx file will be it, but I don't know WHY it won't load it, bcs it's right there in the scene folder where it always was!
    You also need to use the Motions subdirectory if you want them to load properly using the Content directory... otherwise it's using a hardcoded path to the old motion file in the old Scenes folder...
    MikeS [LWProfile] 30+ Yrs of Award-winning Media DreamLight.com

Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ ScreamerNet - DLI Constellation
    BOOK - Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short & 3D CGI Short Films & DLI Blog

The easiest thing will be if you forget about the crappy Content directory (and the not working content manager) and have the same file/folder structure on both Macs; the content directory should always be your HD on both Macs.
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

Quote Originally Posted by ingo View Post
    The easiest thing will be if you forget about the crappy Content directory (and the not working content manager) and have the same file/folder structure on both Macs; the content directory should always be your HD on both Macs.
    the content directory should always be your Hard Drive? I have NEVER run into that workflow. it sounds completely insane to me. It would invariably be the cause of serious permission problems. Ingo, don't you mean: should always be ON your local drive. ?

Johnny. learn the Entire Lightwave Content tree structure. Use it. You are obviously missing some subDirectories.

Jonny,

If your mac ever tells you, you don't have enough privileges or the like, you can enable the "Root user" account. This gives you god like status to chug about through any files and directories that you like changing their access and privileges at will. It also gives you the power to screw things up too, so you have to be careful with it!
    Enabling it depends on your version of osx or you can do it with a unix command in the terminal. Your macs help files will tell you how to go about it!

remember, with great power comes great responsibility!
    but seriously I hope you get it all fixed

regards

Paul
    Mac Pro 2 x 3.2ghz Quad core Intel Zeon 4GB ram Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

this is my profile

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/comm...baguley/1.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast