Thread: Settings amnesia

Settings amnesia

I know I saw a thread recently about Lightwave getting an "unexpected quit" upon trying to quite it normally and I think this might be tied to a problem I am having as mine does this every time I quite.

I render fairly high res images using lightwave (typical res is 5000 X 4000) that can take anywhere from a few hours to 20+ hours to render on my 2.4GHz dual core Intel iMac. Problem is for some reason Lightwave keeps setting my save as RGB to ".cin" instead of my desired ".jpg" at random. It will remember to save it as jpeg just long enough that I don't check the setting on every render. Then sure enough when I hit render without checking it, it goes to .cin which when loaded into Photoshop looks dull and gray as if photographed through a gray sheet of paper.

I don't know how to convert these renders to a normal looking color and thus I am forced to re-render the images and of course wasting many hours of work.

Any idea first on how to force Lightwave to remember I always want to render RGB as .jpg? And lacking that any simple way to convert the .cin to jpg with proper color and lighting?

One last question as well. I make all my objects to real world scale and most are very small, a few inches at most. I always have to un-check the clip image close to camera (or something like that) under prefs. Is there anyway to save this as a default setting? Otherwise many times I can't even see my objects when they load because they are small and too close to the camera.

Thanks!

self flagellating LW monk
    sublimationman,
    Lightwave writes its preferences file during the last few seconds it runs after you tell it to quit... which is when its crashing for you. So, you need to eliminate the crashing, in order to get LW to save the preferences you have just set.

in the past a few things have been blamed for this crash, it is old and venerable, and so far i haven't been completely convinced any of them are the real culprit, so I'll just give you a run down, you can swish it all around and see what helps:

1. your preference files are now corrupt. Chilton says this should not ever happen, he wants any preference files emailed to him, that are suspect. yours live in : yourUser/Library/Preferences/LightWave3d/ don't get rid of the whole folder... your License key is in there as well, just remove the Layout and modeler and possibly the hub preferences. email them to chilton (chilton, if you read this, pls chime in) and then put them in the trash. Launch Layout, make changes, quit... and see if it crashes.

2. the hub. I absolutely detest the hub, it is the root of a great deal of evil in LW. but to see if it is causing something is not quite so easy, as it is insidious, subtle and it grows in vileness as you use it. but turning it off may be the easiest fix you ever do... change the name of the hub application. Then launch Layout, the hub should not auto-magically launch, and then make changes quit, and see if Lightwave crashes.

those are the big 2. neither one can be completely responsible, for crashes on quitting Lightwave, but they are most frequently blamed. I myself am seeing this crash right now, and I have found that sometimes it clears up when I delete my prefs, and that sometimes it clears up on its own, and hat sometimes it does not clear up at all. I do not run Lightwave with the hub, as I said, it is the root of a great deal of evil.

as for your other question, there is a mildly documented feature in LW, where you can setup a scene file the way you want, save it to a particluar folder, and LW will open that file every time you make a new scene, thus using the settings of that scene file. I tried it years ago, it didn't work then, so I abandoned it (and thus don't remember ANY details), but perhaps it works now.

go here:
    http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12977

Quote Originally Posted by eblu View Post
    sublimationman,
    Lightwave writes its preferences file during the last few seconds it runs after you tell it to quit... which is when its crashing for you. So, you need to eliminate the crashing, in order to get LW to save the preferences you have just set.

1. your preference files are now corrupt. Chilton says this should not ever happen, he wants any preference files emailed to him, that are suspect. yours live in : yourUser/Library/Preferences/LightWave3d/ don't get rid of the whole folder... your License key is in there as well, just remove the Layout and modeler and possibly the hub preferences. email them to chilton (chilton, if you read this, pls chime in) and then put them in the trash. Launch Layout, make changes, quit... and see if it crashes.
    Yes indeed, this should not be happening, and I would really like to catch it if it does.

-Chilton
    [email protected]
    or
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by sublimationman View Post
    I render fairly high res images using lightwave (typical res is 5000 X 4000) that can take anywhere from a few hours to 20+ hours to render on my 2.4GHz dual core Intel iMac. Problem is for some reason Lightwave keeps setting my save as RGB to ".cin" instead of my desired ".jpg" at random. It will remember to save it as jpeg just long enough that I don't check the setting on every render. Then sure enough when I hit render without checking it, it goes to .cin which when loaded into Photoshop looks dull and gray as if photographed through a gray sheet of paper.
    Your setting of .jpg should save with the scene. Are you sure you saved after setting the format? (and don't you want to save to a lossless format?)
    I don't know how to convert these renders to a normal looking color and thus I am forced to re-render the images and of course wasting many hours of work.
    Whenever I have an odd format I always try loading it into LW, and with .cin this seems to work. Normal stills can be re-saved in any format from the image veiwer, for image sequences (and images too large for the image viewer) load them in as a background image in an empty scene and render that.
    One last question as well. I make all my objects to real world scale and most are very small, a few inches at most. I always have to un-check the clip image close to camera (or something like that) under prefs. Is there anyway to save this as a default setting? Otherwise many times I can't even see my objects when they load because they are small and too close to the camera.
    This might be the preferences thing, but it might fall under the "Save as Default" button's jurisdiction, near the top of that same panel.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

OK I did some quick testing today. Renaming the Hub does stop the unexpected quit problem but it did not fix my prefs problem. I also tried trashing the prefs but same problem.

Since the prefs are plain text I started looking at the file and found "RGBImageFormat 5" this is suppose to be the setting that keeps track of what file format to use.

I can now confirm that the prefs file itself works correctly and is saved with the proper setting but for some reason when Lightwave loads it will only work up to format #4 which is .cin. If the format I set is 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 it works but anything after 4 all the way up past 20+ it only sets it to 4 when loading.

In other words if I set the RGB type to something way down the list (#8 for example) and quite Lightwave. The prefs file will correctly say "RGBImageFormat 8" but when it loads for some reason Lightwave itself sees anything over 4 as a 4.

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    (and don't you want to save to a lossless format?)
    Toby, I do work for Stock photography sites and believe it or not they require Jpeg. I know I could save in something else and convert to jpg but stock is a numbers game as it is so speed is money.

Good news is after playing in Photoshop even more I found that if I do an "Apply Image" using "Vivid Light" it corrects the colors nicely. So if I forget in the future to check the format before rendering at least my time rendering won't be lost.

I started with Lightwave when it first came out with the Video Toaster on Amiga's Back then I knew it inside out and use to teach it at user groups and to paying companies. I got busy with other work and was basically out of Lightwave for about 8+ years and boy did it ever change. I have now been trying to catch up when I have free time and am finally feeling a little more confident with it. I doubt I will ever grasp the new versions as well as I did the old one. But I am having fun and making a few bucks as well.

Bump

Hi,

A fix for this will appear in the Open Beta version soon.

-Chilton

Thank you for the update.