Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3 depth of field issues!

9.3 depth of field issues!

Oh now what!!!!!!
    I can't get depth of field. 7 passes. What the heck is diaphram sides, and diaphram rotation? I stopped down to 0.001, no depth of field.

Uggghhhhhhh..................help me..........please..............oh please help............the pain, ohhhh the pain....!!!!!!!
    System X Mac SC platform/Mac Pro cluster/custom variable Dualyne System

Diaphragm sides, is the number of sides (or individual blades) that are inside your virtual camera in LW and that open and close to determine the size of the aperature. This will effect the shape of the out of focus elements. If you're not sure what you want just set it to a value between 5 and 7. The rotation is the actual angle of rotation of those sides. It helps if you have some familiarity with a standard 35mm SLR camera. If you read up on standard camera/lens elements you'll understand what they are pretty quickly.

(not sure why you're not getting DOF in your render though)

Maybe someone can share settings to make it work with the Classic Camera - other than what it says in the warning about PLD 7 Cassic, Medium etc. because that does not work for me anyway.

I am going to guess you are using classic camera. Yes? Try perspective or real lens camera. Then set that F stop back to something reasonable like 1.

After that you really got to crank up the AA to make it look like anything.

Wow! Yes Richard, I tried Perspective and Real Lens cameras, they worked. But wow, 17 passes to get near what I want, whereas in the past it was 7. When you upgrade, are'nt thing supposed to be easier???

You know what, I just did 17 passes on a render and the blur looks like crap!!! I'm using 9.3. 9.0 was easy with DOF, now this is a disaster.
    WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SUCH A PAIN??????? All I want is a friggin' out of focus background with a crisp subject in the foreground. I'm using real lens camera, 17 passes, and I'm fed up. I've spent all day on this thing.
    AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH...............

You know what it looks like? Its like when you use DOF in FPrime and you look at the render window and the first few seconds it looks crappy, then after a while it smooths the blur out. Well, the final render looks like the crappy bit, it never smooths out the blur. And I can't use FPrime on this cos I'm using nodes.

I JUST WANT A SMOOTH NICE LOVELY BLUR!!!!!!

Now I'm really grumpy and I'm going to make some tea!

Also, when it says antialiasing 17, its not making 17 'passes' is it? It just renders from the top to the center and the center to the bottom, all at once, and slow.

Its just different from 9.0, I'm trying to understand it. I just can't understand the non-smooth blur. I'm exhausted from sadness and banging my head on the wall.

Can anyone help, a genius perhaps or some kind soul....????

Try forcing old style AA on the perspective camera.
    Turn on MB and set to 10 passes. You can set blur length to 0 if needed.

No genius here. But I should have explained that when I said really crank up the AA I mean really crank it up.

I did not get anything decent looking under 50.

DOF has always been a render killer and the way it is set up now you can have it very fast, if you need to dial it in. Then in the final render, crank up the AA.

Look at it this way. You have many elements in the scene you are tweaking, or you at least want to get the basic settings. Let's say you are animating and you want to test how an object goes in and out of the field of focus. Or you are testing a shift focus shot. (Where the camera crew shifts focus from one subject to another) The way it is now you can do all of that quickly even though it looks like crap. At least you can test the amount of focus and where it is occurring and so on. Then go on to other elements that don't need as much AA and so on. When you are ready to do the final render. Crank up the AA.... um really really crank it up.

From there you will have to test different settings, filters. cameras, etc.

Do a search here for DOF and see if you cam come up with some tricks.

Sorry to disagree. IMO ...its the wrong approach.

Use MB to force passes. That is the method to use, as you multi sample the DOF calc. You dont need 10 passes, that was just arbitrary and scene dependant. Sometimes 3 passes with AAA of 0.05 is fine, depending on MB type.
    Last edited by Jim M; 04-22-2008 at 07:38 PM.

(when I am talking about passes, it is in the MB, which inturn multiplies the AA passes, which I leave at 1 mostly, then use AAA of 0.1 for tests and 0.01 for finals)

And before you go off on another wall banging episode, you will need motion on the object for motion blur to have any effect. If you are doing a still shot there is a trick to this but I forget off hand.

Also , many people prefer to do DOF in post where they can tweak that separately. Do a search and you'll find some threads on that too.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 04-22-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    Sorry to disagree. IMO ...its the wrong approach.
    Not a problem at all. Great tips. I am glad you clarified. So what is the trick then for stills? If you move the object from frame 1 to 2 and render frame one. Is that it? Or do you have to set LW to fractional frames. I forget.

"you will need motion on the object for motion blur to have any effect"

Not true, and in this instance probably confusing the issue.
    MB will have a massive effect regardless of scene motion. It will force resampling of the Depth of Field, and implement render passes and lots of other stuff....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast