Thread: Skytracer problem 9.31

Newbie Member

Skytracer problem 9.31

I am trying to render a time-lapse sky using skytracer2. sold the look to the client already, but now when I try to render with screamernet, the position of the clouds change drasticlly node to node. Rendering on a single machine will give the expected results, a nice smooth cloud motion. We have 3 seats of LW (9.31) and even opening the scene on another machine will give different results as to the position of the clouds in the sky. I have keyframed the clouds in the texture editor, and also tried assigning the motion to a reference null, both with the same results. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
    P.

Industrial Illusionist brian.coates's Avatar
    I guess Skytracer generates cloud shapes with a completely random algorithm so you've probably already found the only solution: render out the sky on a single machine in a single run.
    Last edited by brian.coates; 04-15-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Newbie Member
    I was hoping there would be another solution. The duration of the sequence makes a single machine render impractical. I'm trying to recreate the look with a texture on geometry, but I'm not getting the volumetric look of the skytracer sky.

How about rendering out (on a single computer) just the animated sky as a series of images using an Advanced camera set up to capture the whole sky (e.g. as a 360x180 degree cylindrical camera). Then set up your scene to load the image sequence and use it as a either a backdrop image or a texture on a sky-dome.

Regards
    Peter
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    You can use the bake function of skytracer to create perfect seamless 360 degree geometrically mapped cubes and spheres. That might not be an ideal solution, but will get you where you want to be quickly and without too much pain.

Meanwhile, if you please, send in a bug report on the randomization of the clouds over LWSN.

Quote Originally Posted by Exception View Post
    You can use the bake function of skytracer to create perfect seamless 360 degree geometrically mapped cubes and spheres. That might not be an ideal solution, but will get you where you want to be quickly and without too much pain.

Meanwhile, if you please, send in a bug report on the randomization of the clouds over LWSN.
    Using the Bake function did occur to me also, but it looks like you can only render out a single frame of the sky and not a sequence, which I think is what he is after?
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

Newbie Member
    Thanks all for the replys.

Inkpen is right, the bake function won't work as the sky is animated. I came up with a workaround, as I am trying to simulate passing of eons of time, the sun does go down. Thusly I am able to break the scene into more manageable segments, i.e. one "day" per LW seat. Still taking much longer than rendering on our farm, but we should be able to get the project done.

I'll send the bug report to NT. I heard there were some skytracer bugs being worked on in 9.5.

Hi,
    use Skytracer2 on animation for creation sky with moving clouds, sun and for environmental lighting (place gradient Backdrop). At static render (F9) is all absolutely okey. As soon as I will try rendring animation from begin (sun under horizont) with cashed radiosity, with cashed radiosity, get quite another pics. As if Skytracer2 anywise wasn't included into calculation radiosity. See enclosed picturesAdvise me please how to get same pictures. Thank

Lightwave 9.6

Single frame (F9)

Animation frame (F10)