Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Installation of Windows pre-requisites failed

Newbie Member
    Yep, Just purchased speed edit and tried to install on 3 different XP Pro PC's that meet or exceed all minimum specs. Same error message upon installation completion and unable to open on all 3.
    Tech support gives up and I supposedly need to contact microsoft (as if they will help.)
    I loved the demo at NAB and am ready to dig in. I've tried all the suggestions in this forum to no avail. I'll keep checking back. I think it's Newtek's onus to figure out how all these post nab excited people can install their product post sale.

Sorry to hear this Marbelmo. Did you follow the doc and put in the /3GB switch? I'm not sure, but thought it is not needed for XP?Vista64's, or if needed befor install. If you have a cloned OS/Programs drive in one of your systems, how about going to add/remove programs and removing SP2? Could you also post if these 3 systems are Networked with what? Router/Modem? Is VPN active? You will get help, please give it some time.

GoodLuck
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

There have been alot of how to fixing of this problem. I'm running MCE XP Pro SP2. I've got a little time and the drives, to go on my non www MCE stations and make an XP Pro SP2 drive like Gordon suggested. I will NOT be putting the XP SP2 on the www. Can anyone confirm WHAT is in the PreReq's? WMP11? NetFrameWorks2.0? I know my XP SP2 is only NetFWoks1.x, AND there IS a different file for MCE and XP SP2. Know where I am going with this JP?
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

There are many files being stepped on these days. The use of a PC on the www needs to be addressed, SEVERLY, to fix this issue. NT already knows that some AuraPlugins for LiveSets will not work on SSE PC's. iTunes updates will fail, as they attempt to get all PC's able to work with their flagship 8core/64OSx, and the update is failing on this SSE PC.

Though I did a Restore to late March and I get the same error message. mncallen posted, would show these STEPPED on files for M$ go back to Feb or early March.

My limited understand of Extended Addressing is by setting flags in a file. NetFWorks2.0 is a PreReq for most NEW GPU's, so it is a stepped on file used with NET2.0 and TCP/IP and Extended Addressing. Catchup or Mustard JP?
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Newbie Member
    2 of the xp pro machines are networked via our house router. The other machine was a laptop. Tech support was blaming it initially on my internal Intel graphics card but I've got ATI and Nvidia on the other 2 so that's not the issue.
    I've got too much going on with these systems to uninstall sp2.
    VT5 prerequisites don't help.
    I've attempted to contact Micosoft about the issue and they say to work it out with Newtek and vice versa.
    As it stands, Speed Edit is just a dream for me.

You don't have to uninstall sp2 to troubleshoot the problem. It is faster to install a fresh copy of Win XP SP2 on a new partition (which usually means a new hard drive). It helps to pull the existing drive out while doing the new install, just to make sure you don't trash your existing installation. A fresh Windows OS installation usually gets SE to work and you can still boot off of the other drive, where all your current programs are installed.

At least this will give you working systems and is also will gives you time to figure out what program that you already have installed is stepping on the standard windows files as mentioned by Kilo above.
    Last edited by Gordon; 05-07-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Newbie Member
    I'm not a lazy person, but we are extremely busy and our edit bays are in constant use. This seems like a lot to have to go through to install a "turn key" editing application.
    I'm going to keep checking in for trobleshooting ideas and fixes by Newtek. I understand this a somewhat new problem so hopefully they'll have an answer soon. I would imagine this is happenng to a lot of post NAB customers so I'd hope it's a priority for them to figure out.
    Meanwhile I've got the Premire/After Effects thing going on and (bad words) 2 Globecasters functioning perfectly so we're not out of commission.

The issue is to get you and others able to get SE going NOW. Cloning a drive will only produce a drive with the same problem. Building a drive like Gordon posted, then gives you a drive without the Vista4XP updates(read, keep off the www). If your not using any Cloned OS/Program drive in any Editing system, well that is up to you. I use 2 OS/program drives on one system, 3 on the VT5, but different Services/msconfig. Uninstalling SP2 only goes back so far, but VERY likely does nothing for the issue, as the stepped on OS.DLL's are probably unrecoverable.

Sorry everyone is going through this, but once you are able to use SE, if you also know TEdit, your going to find it is as Advertised.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

BTW Gordon... I formatted and tried to use my MCE Product codes, and plain old XP Pro SP2 would not accept it.

fwiw
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

The failing prerequisite is the vcruntime. This is equivalent to the old MSVCRT.dlls, but with the added problem that you can't just copy the dll into the folder. It has to be installed properly into Windows Side by Side and registered into Windows with version information. This is what their installer is supposed to be doing.

We aren't the only ones having this problem. Doing a web search brings up many instances of applications (especially games) having this same issue, but no real resolution to the problem.

We are taking this very seriously even though it still seems to be a problem in Microsofts installer.

We have not yet determined what is the trigger to this problem, it may be something that we can work around if we can ever repeat it in house.

At Blaine's suggestion, we have tried installing with the XP SP2c CD's, but this is still not causing a problem here.

As soon as we know anything or have suggestions, I will post back to this thread.

Right now, the only new suggestion I have to offer is to download XP service pack 2 and reinstall just that.

Installer V3.0 is included with SP2, so reinstalling SP2 may clean up the system and allow this installer to function properly.

If anyone has good or bad results with this, please let me know so that we can all benefit.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Thanks JP. I asked a friend who is a M$ Guru for some help and below is the difference in MCE and XP Pro, and others who have wondered.

Going from Windows XP Media Center Edition to XP Pro is a downgrade of the OS.

Windows XP Media Center Edition is an enhanced version of XP Pro.

Full Version: Windows XP Media Center Edition
    http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversio....php/f105.html

Full Version: Differences between MCE and XP Pro
    http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversio...hp/t74428.html

Windows Media Center is an application designed to serve as a home-entertainment hub. It is included in Windows XP Media Center Edition and premium editions of Windows Vista (Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Center
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=927891 You should set a restore point plus be sure to look if you already have this. Maybe wait until JP or someone at NT can confirm. I have this listed in add/remove programs. It is the OLD 3.0 MSI installer. IOW, safety says set a restore point, but this SSE PC is fully updated with both installers so it is a roll back when a program needs it for install.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by KiloWatkins View Post
    Going from Windows XP Media Center Edition to XP Pro is a downgrade of the OS.
    Not sure this is entirely accurate. The major difference between Media Center and XP Pro is that the ability to join a Domain was removed from Media Center and the "entertainment hub" feature was added.

In a production machine using professional quality software, standard XP Pro with SP2 is preferable.

John's suggestion of re-applying SP2 is sound. It may come down to backing up files and reinstalling a clean version of XP w/SP2. Sometimes that's faster than chasing the mysterious missing dll. Welcome to M$.

BTW, we are avoiding SP3 like the plague.

Newbie Member

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by John Perkins View Post
    Installing the VT5 prerequisites seems to help some users, so I am providing a link below.

If you have already installed SpeedEDIT and received the error, please install this and then attempt to launch SpeedEDIT.
    http://tinyurl.com/4cqwy5

If you have had the vcredist error and uninstalled SpeedEDIT, install this new prerequisite from the link above and then install SpeedEDIT, but deselect the option to install the SpeedEDIT prerequisites.

Let me know if this helps,
    Finally got it working the above link worked perfect. Now if I could capture via my Liquid Pro adapter I would be all set.

Thanks for the help.

Finally got it working the above link worked perfect. Now if I could capture via my Liquid Pro adapter I would be all set.

GREAT news. FYI.... I give free US phone support to help configure SE and point to what you may or may not know. email private. [email protected]

HaveFun
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast