Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Installation of Windows pre-requisites failed

XP Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Actually, if anyone, not just someone at NewTek, has SE running on XP home, I would be interested in knowing the details of which version, what service packs, constantly updated with auto update or just manual updates. I would be especially interested in knowing if SE run on a fresh install of XP Home with no updates applied. There must be someone other than VideoBob that has tried SE on XP Home.
    I have XP professional with SP2 and SE still will not install. This is realy vey frustrating for me.

Also when trying to register SE, the newtek site is asking for a product ID where will i find this/ (not the serial number)

Just Tryin' To Help...
    FWIW I'm running SpeedEDIT v1.5.1 on XP Home:

Windows XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 2
    Manual Windows updates, but I usually take what's there.

HP Pavilion Laptop - zv6005US
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3200+
    997 MHz, 1.25 GB of RAM
    80 GB Internal 5,400 RPM IDE HD
    External 320 GB Western Digital IDE USB/Firewire HD, 7,200 RPM IDE used for A/V files

This laptop is not my "production machine", it's my "general purpose 'desktop'" that's used for everything else from email, web, wordprocessing, home & business accounting, DVD printing, etc., etc.. All of the above was installed prior to the appearance of SE v1.0 and since I ended up with two SE seats I decided to try one of them here.

Because this system is underpowered for SE it's not fast, it bogs down and I can't push it too far, but it does work as long as I don't expect too much from it. I've rough-cut a few personal projects on it and then transferred the A/V and project files to my VT[5] PIV dual Xeon workstation for finishing. That system was built for VT[3] and is getting pretty long in the tooth, but that's another story.

My second SE v1.5.1 seat is on my wife's XP Pro SP2 Core 2 Duo Dell laptop (1.8 GHz procs with 2 GB RAM) and it runs much better there.

In both SE cases I had no problem getting them installed and they run stable.

jidegold - each time I've registered any of these (SE & VT[5]) the first time I start them after the install they come up with the registration requester with contains the Product ID for the respective machine, which is the way it's supposed to work, I think. In a previous version of VT there was a utility in the Start menu that would give you the ID, but I think that got dropped some time back and I haven't seen it in SpeedEDIT (but haven't looked).

Good Luck.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bates View Post
    FWIW I'm running SpeedEDIT v1.5.1 on XP Home:
    Windows XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 2
    Manual Windows updates, but I usually take what's there.
    My second SE v1.5.1 seat is on my wife's XP Pro SP2 Core 2 Duo Dell laptop (1.8 GHz procs with 2 GB RAM) and it runs much better there.

In both SE cases I had no problem getting them installed and they run stable.
    That's how it is with most systems, so now we need to figure out why a few are having problems.

VideoBob and jidegold
    The easiest and least expensive way, (time and money), to start to troubleshoot is to get a new hard drive, ($59 for 160 GB Seagate), and install Windows XP from the CD on that drive. (Use an actual generic WinXP install CD not one of those customized OEM versions that are often included with the PC or laptop - even if you have to borrow one from somebody - use your legal XP serial number, the sticker is usually attached to the back or bottom of the computer.)

Make this new drive the boot drive and install SE on it and then report back to us. If it works then the problem is not with your hardware but something was missing from the OS in your WinXP on the original boot drive.

I forgot to mention that after installing Windows OS again, you will have to install your drivers and you will need the original CDs that came with your motherboard and graphics card. Hold back installing other devices and their drives at this point.

In fact I take out any other hardware that was installed just to have the system at a bare bones state. I first get SE, (or VT, LightWave, etc.) working and then I start to add the other hardware and device drivers back in.

Also make sure that any drivers you install are certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Finding Compatible Device Drivers for Windows XP
    hardware compatibility issues continue to be among the top questions facing Windows XP users. Because there is a wider variety of hardware in existence than ever before, and because more users are building their own systems, piecing together hardware in unique combinations.
    This is from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...october14.mspx

Here are a few other tips for speeding up this process.
    1. Start with a small boot partition to install Windows - 15 GB, NTFS.
    2. Make the rest of the drive another NTFS partition and 'fast format' it. This is used to store your back ups in the next step.
    3. 'Ghost' it every step of the way so that if you do install something and it breaks it will only take 6 minutes to restore. Backups of this small partition take about 3 minutes and take less than 4GB of space, restores take a bit longer because you have to boot off the Ghost CD and this take 3 minutes alone. Still this is way better than re-installing from scratch again.
    4. Don't trust Windows 'Restore Points'; they simply are not reliable.

Newbie Member
    I'm also wondering if it is a Windows Update issue ... I have spent 4 days trying to install SE and am VERY frustrated. I tried installing on 2 updated computers. And I tried the internet download version with the same problems. I finally went to a computer I used to use in my department that is not set to receive automatic updates and did the internet download version (I was also afraid that something with the DVD was affecting my computers because I had problems AFTER trying to install SE with other things) ... and that DID work (but it's not on the computer I need)! So ... I'm trying to figure out some sort of solution, too.

Newbie Member

Another Sufferer Here ...

I have spent 4 days trying to install SE and am having the same problems. I am wondering if this is just a very recent problem? I have spent A LOT of time on old with NewTek support. I have spoken with 2 people - the first gave me something to try that didn't work. The 2nd, a supervisor, basically said he was unfamiliar with the problem and offered no help to try and find the problem - just told me to talk to Microsoft. My local rep has helped me with several things to try, but so far nothing is working.

I bought SpeedEDIT to save time ... but with the time I'm wasting just to get this working, I might as well be on my Mac with Final Cut Pro!

Do you have a second Seagate or WD drive? Did you clone the OS/programs as a backup? This would be best, so you have the updated drive still on your system to try the following.

Updates are basic Vista64 compatability. Goto Add and Remove programs, and remove SP2. Be sure NO AVirus is running and try the install. Since seeing several install problems, TSuport is for Newtek products, where OS issues are really not their job, just like the T/F and Amiga OS problems.

YMMV, if you don't have a drive you can clone to switch in BIOS or on new PC's F12 at bootup. If you do remove SP2, restart the system befor looking at instlling SE. I would even turn off your web connection.

GoodLuck
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Newbie Member

Exclamation Install Problem update?? sorta

I spoke with Tech Support and they said that the problem installing is a very recent problem and probably stems from a Windows update that has happened recently. Though I did a Restore to late March and I get the same error message. The link they gave me to fix it didn't work and I've let them know... funny thing though the Content Disc installed with NO problems.

They told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on it.

They told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on it.

Well, they will certainly have more than just this one!

If you remove SP2, Install SE, goto M$ and reinstall SP2. Pretty simple.

GoodLuck
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

We have heard of this problem, but we have not yet seen a system in house that can reproduce it.

If you are having this problem, please download this file, unzip it and try to run it. ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaste....50727.762.zip

I'm not trying to pass the buck, but this is Microsofts installer failing, not our own.

We do launch their installer from ours, but we have no control over what their installer does. We are grateful for any help that you can give us in finding a way to resolve the problem though.

This is a slightly different version of the Microsoft installer, so feedback from users with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

We have narrowed down everything there hardware wise, update wise, etc. It has to Windows SP2c disk. Strangely, if you take the same system, install 1.2, the the 1.5.1 patch, all is well.
    Blaine Holm
    Video Hardware Services, LLC
    1-877-203-0871
    1-603-627-5337

We make 'Freedom of Imagination' affordable

http://www.videohardware.com

New England's NewTek Elite Partner

Ok, that's good to know.

I'll have to think about that one, the vcredist installer was unchanged between 1.0 and 1.5.1.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

I'll have to think about that one, the vcredist installer was unchanged between 1.0 and 1.5.1.

Thanks,

Was Mr. Bates running XP Home with SP3?
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloWatkins
    Was Mr. Bates running XP Home with SP3?
    No, as stated in my post, both the XP Home laptop and the XP Pro laptop have (and had at the time of SE installation) SP2 installed.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Installing the VT5 prerequisites seems to help some users, so I am providing a link below.

If you have already installed SpeedEDIT and received the error, please install this and then attempt to launch SpeedEDIT.
    http://tinyurl.com/4cqwy5

If you have had the vcredist error and uninstalled SpeedEDIT, install this new prerequisite from the link above and then install SpeedEDIT, but deselect the option to install the SpeedEDIT prerequisites.

Let me know if this helps,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast