Thread: Why is smoke "jerky?"

Why is smoke "jerky?"

I just did a tutorial where you learn particles, smoke and wind and made a little test movie.

the smoke spirals up according to the wind path, but the smoke is jerky, almost like something holding it back.

you can see the little movie here:

smoke movie

any clues as to what caused this jerky motion?

thanks!

J

Hmm...looks like a render problem..how did you render it out what codec?
    or perhaps some wind setting...how many winds do you have and what kind of wind?

make an animation preview in viper, if it looks good from there..then it most likely is something with the global render settings you have.

and what tuturial did you follow?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Hmm...looks like a render problem..how did you render it out what codec?
    or perhaps some wind setting...how many winds do you have and what kind of wind?

make an animation preview in viper, if it looks good from there..then it most likely is something with the global render settings you have.

and what tuturial did you follow?
    I was afraid of that...I rendered in Screamernet to .psd files to be converted to a sequence in Quicktime. I have 1 wind.

I did a viper preview, and that looked ok ie, not jerky.

the tutorial I followed was Dan Ablan's from Inside LW 7.
    those tutorials are great...prbly a setting of mine, as you say, but curious which one, since the viper preview was smooth.

thanks!

J

Did you save out the pfx files?
    You'll get jerky simulations like this over a network render if they're not saved first but local renders through viper look fine.

Quote Originally Posted by wildr3d View Post
    Did you save out the pfx files?
    You'll get jerky simulations like this over a network render if they're not saved first but local renders through viper look fine.
    I'm not sure what you're asking...

you mean, did I designate the file type for each frame to be, or are you asking about something different?

I have a feeling you're asking about something which I need to learn about...heh..

this is my first experimenting with particles, so...I know *just* this side of nothing about it!

;-)

thanks!

J
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-28-2008 at 02:39 PM.

When you make a particle simulation you want to keep and later render over a network you need to save your simulation first as a .pfx file. You can do this either from the FX browser or the emitters property panel. I've illustrated both options in the attached pic.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PfxSave.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	56706  

Quote Originally Posted by wildr3d View Post
    When you make a particle simulation you want to keep and later render over a network you need to save your simulation first as a .pfx file. You can do this either from the FX browser or the emitters property panel. I've illustrated both options in the attached pic.

Hope this helps.
    Hey, thanks for that great pic..makes things clear..

after your first mention of saving the pfx, I poked around, found the Save button on the FX browser and saved the resulting pfx to my Objects file. Test sequence now rendering (SN).

we'll see if I did it right.

thank you for that key bit of info!

Johnny