Thread: Controlling a Channel of One Surface by the Distance of Another

Controlling a Channel of One Surface by the Distance of Another

I've hit a brick wall with this, not even sure if it's possible.....without delving into math anyway.

I've got two objects, one surface each - a river channel object and a plane for the water.

I would like to control the surfacing of the water according to the depth of the river channel surface below it.

I've spent way too long on this now, nothing I can think of works - the more standard 'distance to' setups don't work for this; it's almost like I need a Spot Info for each object, subtract the river channel from the water and send that to a gradient input, give or take. Except you can't of course.....Item Info is no good for this as it seems to output only a centre or pivot location.

There are more traditional ways I can do some of what I want - weightmaps, obviously - and if the banks of the river are fairly linear, Raycast kind of works for 'bouncing' a gradient off each river-bank.

But I'm wondering if it's possible to control one surface, spot by spot, by the distance of another surface's spots, as it were.

Thanks.

Julian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradientprofile.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	56678  
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

Perhaps a gradient based on thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    Perhaps a gradient based on thickness?
    I did look at that - still looking just in case - but the docs specify that it fires a ray from the current hit point (very ambiguous, statements like that - to me anyway ) to the back of the object. The only control is IOR.

Perhaps this is where (and why) all the comments about global nodes and sub-nodes come into play. To me, being able to set nodes to return the length between two surfaces, like if Spot Info had a selection for what object or surface it was outputting, this would seem very straightforward.

Julian.

Gradient Layer Surface Thickness of Layer Node,
    works well, in DP Kit the Layer+ node has also
    an axis thickness (x,y or z) gradient layer,
    classic camera + raytrace or perspective camera.

Denis.

That's it!! That's what I was after.....geez.....the hours I've spent poring over stuff I really don't understand and shouldn't be playing with anyway

The attached example is hideous, but it's my test landscape with a randomly carved out valley, simple water plane object, with three Layer+ nodes from DP Kit, two scalar, for transparency and luminosity, and one colour.

All I did was apply these to the water object/surface, set the gradient layers to Y Thickness and seemingly they have detected the surface beneath them - plugged the outputs straight into main Surface node.

So is the thickness evaluated both positive and negative along the chosen axis from the surface, in this case the water surface?

I really don't know how that does it, but it works a treat - thank you very much indeed Denis

Julian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradientprofile02.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	56704