Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Node reference material

Node reference material

Does anyone know if there are any genuinely GOOD materials out there explaining in ENGLISH what the various nodes do, and why you would use them etc...

I don't want math geek mumbo jumbo, I just need to know why and how

Cheers!
    Craig A Clark
    Scorpio CGI
    My TWITTER

Quote Originally Posted by CAClark

I don't want math geek mumbo jumbo...
    I just wanted to say that these few words made me laugh for about ten mins ...
    Anyway I dunno the answer to your question.

cheers!

...mumbo jumbo...

Does anyone know if there are any genuinely GOOD materials out there explaining in ENGLISH what the various nodes do, and why you would use them etc...

I don't want math geek mumbo jumbo, I just need to know why and how

Cheers!
    This is something I've been after for a while too!

In a perfect world I'd love a well presented library of small video tutorials that cover EVERY node, what it does, where you'd use it, how it works with other nodes.

Would be invaluable!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

I've been thinking about making something like this... The #1 problem with making clear and concise mini-tutorials regarding what each node is used for is that they can be used in any way you want that gets the result you'd like!

Maybe I could give it a test run...does anyone have a specific sort of node usage topic they'd like covered?
    8x2.8 Mac Pro, 8 GB RAM, Radeon 2600XT, Mac OS X 10.5.6 (previously: G5 Quad)
    Caution: tech-savvy artist in full-on geek mode. May obsess over technical challenges until solved.

True, but each node has to have had a base function in mind at the beginning

Cheers!
    Craig A Clark
    Scorpio CGI
    My TWITTER

Quote Originally Posted by weepul
    does anyone have a specific sort of node usage topic they'd like covered?
    All of them really. Its amazing that NT haven't already got this under way. I haven't got time to just connect nodes together and see what happens in the hope that i suddently stumble across the effect I'm looking for. Time is money, and more importantly, time is finite.

Cheers!
    Craig A Clark
    Scorpio CGI
    My TWITTER

im curious as to what the heck the function input of a node does?

Quote Originally Posted by multipass
    Taken from the LW9 Surface and Render Manual.

"Functions are the only type of connection
    that are actually bidirectional. This bidirectionality is
    transparent to the user but Function nodes receive
    information from the node they are modifying, alter the
    information in some way and then send the results back
    to the node they are connecting to. A good general rule
    of thumb to remember about function type nodes is just
    to not intermix them with dissimilar types. Keep your
    Functions in the yellow and all will be mellow."

Page 89, goes into more detail.
    Last edited by RedBull; 03-22-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Easy Craig, let me give you a quick run through of nodes.

The following singularly perturbed Dirichlet problem ε[2]Δu - u + |u|[p-]u = 0, in Ω, u = 0 on ∂Ω has a nodal solution u[ε] which has the least energy among all nodal solutions. Moreover, it is shown that u[ε] has exactly one local maximum point P[ε][1] with a positive value and one local minimum point P[ε][2] with a negative value, and as ε → 0, formula math where φ(P[1], P[2]) = min(}P[1] - P[2]}/2,d(P[1], ∂Ω ), d(P[2], ∂Ω)). The following question naturally arises: where is the nodal surface {u[ε](x) = 0}? In this paper, we give an answer in the case of the unit ball Ω = B[1] (0). In particular, we show that for ε sufficiently small, Pf, P[ε][2] and the origin must lie on a line. Without loss of generality, we may assume that this line is the x[1]-axis. Then u[ε] must be even in Xj, j = 2,..., N, and odd in x[1]. As a consequence, we show that {u[ε](x) = 0} = {x ∈ B[1](0) x[1] = 0}. Our proof is divided into two steps: first, by using the method of moving planes, we show that P[ε][1], P[ε][2] and the origin must lie on the x[1]-axis and u[ε] must be even in Xj, j = 2,..., N. Then, using the Liapunov-Schmidt reduction method, we prove the uniqueness of u[ε] (which implies the odd symmetry of u[ε] in x[1]). Similar results are also proved for the problem with Neumann boundary conditions.
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

LOL! Ahhhhh, it all makes perfect sense now!

UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by inigo07
    Easy Craig, let me give you a quick run through of nodes.

The following singularly perturbed Dirichlet problem ε[2]Δu - u + |u|[p-]u = 0, in Ω, u = 0 on ∂Ω has a nodal solution u[ε] which has the least energy among all nodal solutions. Moreover, it is shown that u[ε] has exactly one local maximum point P[ε][1] with a positive value and one local minimum point P[ε][2] with a negative value, ...(blahblah)
    Hee Hee!
    You forgot to account for the Shmendrick singularity.
    Warren Christiansen
    Core i7 3.2Ghz
    12GB Ram
    Windows7 64
    Geoforce GTX285

Quote Originally Posted by multipass
    Functions allow you to map the output of a node in various ways. For example, you might have a Turbulence texture, ranging from 0 ( black ) to 1 ( white) with shades in the middle.

Using a Box Step node, you can tighten up the contrast of the Turbulence to make like a cow-print type of pattern, with mostly black and white blotches, and just a thin sliver of grey in between. Like adjusting curves in Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by weepul
    I've been thinking about making something like this... The #1 problem with making clear and concise mini-tutorials regarding what each node is used for is that they can be used in any way you want that gets the result you'd like!
    I agree, a tutorial 'per node' makes little sense for most of them. Kurv studios has a node DVD for sale and there are some other free mini tutes around...

Quote Originally Posted by chunderburger
    fprime is the best tool to learn from
    It sure sounds like it. And from what I've seen of some of the tutorial videos that use it, it's a must for some. Too bad I'm just a hobbiest and my wife would beat me with my own arm if I bought it.

I still haven't rendered her "new livingroom" yet, so maybe I can use that as an excuse!

She has my nuts in the freezer and she lets me keep my Man Card just for show.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by CAClark View Post
    All of them really. Its amazing that NT haven't already got this under way. I haven't got time to just connect nodes together and see what happens in the hope that i suddently stumble across the effect I'm looking for. Time is money, and more importantly, time is finite.

Cheers!
    I don't know what the latest docs are, but the ones I have don't include Item Info, and some nodes are not fully explained, like Vector Scalar - the modes are not explained. Are there newer ones? The links were all broken earlier when I checked.

Video tuts would be good, and surely someone can concoct reasons for using all of them to show off specifically what they are for, even though I understand that it's open season on how you use each one.

Things like Dot, which is cosine something or other - sounds lame but unless I see a reason to use that, ie. a sample of it in action making a surface and therefore telling me what it does and why it's useful, I won't touch it.

You can experiment for hours and get nowhere with some of these nodes, mostly because there is no clear explanation of when and why to use them.

This afternoon, after about five hours of experimenting, I managed to create a setup to have the colour of one object controlled by the geometry of another below it, for terrains. I kind of get how it works, but I'll admit I stumbled on it through trying things out that I thought sounded like they might be what I wanted. But it uses Vector Scalar, and the Length mode works in the setup, but the YChannel does not - frankly I have absolutely no idea why and the docs ain't helping

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast