Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.5 Question: IK and Maestro?

9.5 Question: IK and Maestro?

I just purchased Maestro 2 with the intent to use it in 9.3, however I have a few questions.

I'm not sure if these are "answerable" because of NDAs, but are the new rigging tools in 9.5 going to affect the performance of Maestro?

Basically, does Maestro 2 work with 9.5?

Thanks for any light shed. I soak it up gleefully.

- Gil
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Yet another 9.5 'spam' thread ...
    Just kidding, obviously!

Oh, get over it, Mitja!
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Ok, I won't inerfere anymore, inigo07<hasselhoff, it was too strong of me, you know.
    But this is a serious thread so look only the 1st post!

Of course NDA's do make giving out any specific info difficult right now, but I think there are two things I can say:

1. It has typically been Newtek's policy to not break legacy components when new ones are built. So it is unlikely that scenes in their current state would not work in a newer version (especially a point release). What I'm saying here is that regardless of new features, 9.5 should work with the current set of tools Maestro uses now.

2. I'm looking forward to incorporating some of the new features 9.5 will bring into Maestro, and am confident that the two will play well together.

Oh, and one more thing...

Eric

Thanks a lot Eric!

I've been playing around with it and it's looking/performing very nice. Thanks!

To everyone who's possibly interested in Maestro: it's well worth the money and it's the best rigging/animation plugin I've found for Lightwave. Definitely good stuff.
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Thanks for that inigo07.

I have to say, it really is useful. And often times, for simple little things as well as the character stuff. I can't imagine working without it.

Eric

Registered User Puguglybonehead's Avatar
    This is something I was wondering about as well. I've been seriously considering getting Maestro.

Maestro is well worth the money...

I just wish that it worked properly with 9.3.1

To put it bluntly - the rigging part works, but the interactive hotbox dragging to pose the character in 9.3.1 is horribly slow. You have to use 9.0 in order to get decent framerates. Yeah, perhaps not a huge dealbreaker for a great plugin like this, but would be nice to have it all in 9.3.1 or even 9.5.

The problem is Newtek's fault. As of 9.3.1 they have not fixed it. Has it been fixed in 9.5?

"Note regarding LW 9.2 - 9.3: While Maestro works with these versions, there is an issue in Layout that limits interactivity with the Maestro control panel. Basically, when dragging on a hotspot, you don't see your character move until the mouse motion stops (you don't have to release the mousebutton, just stop moving)."
    Last edited by beverins; 03-19-2008 at 10:41 PM.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

WOW the rig looks amazing.

How hard is it set up your own characters, are there male and female rig version?

definately concidering buying would it be worth having 2 installs of lightwave
    9 and 9.31?

also have you tryed turning up the bounding box threshold to fix the update prob?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    That's an understatement. It's great. There are multiple versions: from a crude "previz" rig to a full-fledged detailed rig.

How hard is it set up your own characters, are there male and female rig version?
    Yes. Oh, man, it's so hard setting up. You like have to...click...and drag...three times and click a button...a pain...

9 and 9.31?
    I'm on a Mac so I have two installs anyway. Actually, to be exact, I have three installs. I believe I have 9.0, 9.2, and 9.3.1. I generally use 9.2.
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

9 and 9.31?

also have you tryed turning up the bounding box threshold to fix the update prob?
    It is worth it even if you only have 9.3.1, but even more so if you also have 9 and install that side-by-side. Then you will be problem-free.

I tried the bounding box threshold, it doesn't work because the problem is with the plugin passing the hotbox information to the lightwave bones (at least I believe so). If you animate the bones / nulls directly in Layout after they have been rigged with Maestro, the update speed is just as fast as with any other method.

I have a little problem with the quadruped rig, in that I get unpleasant deformations and frustrating IK with the front legs (but I'm not blaming the skeleton or the plugin for this necessarily - I do believe this is entirely something to do with how I'm setting up the skeleton inside the cat I am using).

What I find amazing about Maestro, as well, is that the rigs work even without any weightmaps at all. Weightmaps can be used, and should be used for fixing deformation problems, but really you don't even need those.

Fprime, Maestro, HD Instance and InfiniMap are definitely on the list of Must Have Plugins for Lightwave.

I really think that Newtek should have a page of links to these plugins. I know Newtek is all about doing it themselves, but for Must Have Plugins like these, I think they should just suck it up and say "OK - you really should look into buying these"
    Last edited by beverins; 03-20-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Has anybody used it on a 64 bit system?
    Blog

Specs:
    Desktop: Q6600 Quad 2.4 ghz, 8GB, 8800 1Gb, Vista Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Core 2 Duo, 2GB, ATI craptastic video card, XP

and some funny looking Mac's that I don't know much about.

I have a little problem with the quadruped rig, in that I get unpleasant deformations and frustrating IK with the front legs (but I'm not blaming the skeleton or the plugin for this necessarily - I do believe this is entirely something to do with how I'm setting up the skeleton inside the cat I am using).
    Hey Beverins,

Feel free to contact me via email (support <at> stillwaterpictures <dot> com), and I'll help you work through stuff like that. You can even send me the model and I'll help tweak the bones to make things work right.

Quadrupeds can be tricky to understand anatomy wise, so the bones, especially in the front legs, need to be pre-bent the right way for things to work properly.

Has anybody used it on a 64 bit system?
    We've got a few customers working in 64 bit, and Maestro works in this platform. But there were a few problems in Lightwave 9.0 64 bit that made the rigging part a bit funky. I believe parenting didn't work quite right, and it made the rig come out wrong. But from what I understand, rigging in 9.3 64 bit works fine. Of course, 9.3 has the interaction problem, so a 64 bit workflow is a bit complicated.

But we'll just have to see what 9.5 brings...

Eric

We've got a few customers working in 64 bit, and Maestro works in this platform. But there were a few problems in Lightwave 9.0 64 bit that made the rigging part a bit funky. I believe parenting didn't work quite right, and it made the rig come out wrong. But from what I understand, rigging in 9.3 64 bit works fine. Of course, 9.3 has the interaction problem, so a 64 bit workflow is a bit complicated.

But we'll just have to see what 9.5 brings...
    Wonderful! Thanks for the insight.
    Blog

Specs:
    Desktop: Q6600 Quad 2.4 ghz, 8GB, 8800 1Gb, Vista Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Core 2 Duo, 2GB, ATI craptastic video card, XP

and some funny looking Mac's that I don't know much about.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast