Thread: Problems loading large scene in 9.3.1

Problems loading large scene in 9.3.1

I'm having some real problems loading a large scene I created in LW8.5 into the latest version of Lightwave!

It's a detailed engine assembly (approx 1100 objects - 400Mb object memory). The loading gets to about 90% then I get the messages "Error on object loading", "Not enough memory for object polygon data", "Replacing mesh with a null object", "Not enough memory for adjacency item", and a few others to which I keep clicking the OK button. Finally when the load bar gets to 100% Lightwave crashes!!!!!

I'm currently using 9.3.1 (32 bit) and find it really annoying that a scene I can easily load in 8.5 is causing me such a headache. Are there some issues with memory management in this version, and is it going to be resolved in 9.5?

I have also tried loading this scene in 9.2 and it doesn't get any further. Although I haven't gone 64 bit yet (I can't afford to convert my renderfarm over to 64 bit) my PC is no slouch, it's a Dual Xeon (3.2GHz) with 4 GIG of RAM.

Is there a way around this problem, or am I going to have to go back to 8.5? It's a real shame if I do as I was telling my client about the nicer motion-blur he can have on this re-render.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonazure
    I'm having some real problems loading a large scene I created in LW8.5 into the latest version of Lightwave!

I'm currently using 9.3.1 (32 bit) and find it really annoying that a scene I can easily load in 8.5 is causing me such a headache. Are there some issues with memory management in this version, and is it going to be resolved in 9.5?

I have also tried loading this scene in 9.2 and it doesn't get any further. Although I haven't gone 64 bit yet (I can't afford to convert my renderfarm over to 64 bit) my PC is no slouch, it's a Dual Xeon (3.2GHz) with 4 GIG of RAM.

Is there a way around this problem, or am I going to have to go back to 8.5? It's a real shame if I do as I was telling my client about the nicer motion-blur he can have on this re-render.

It's quite possible and not surprising that newer software versions generally are more greedy for memory, So LW9 is likely a slightly bigger resource hog.
    It sounds like a simple case of running out of memory, LW32 can only access a portion of your 4Gb of RAM on a non 64bit OS..

There would be a multitude of things you could try to lower Windows memory useage and try again, as it seems you are close to loading it into memory.

Shutting down as many processes and services and applications or programs in use, would be first point of call.

I'm afraid that I don't have any options for reducing my memory useage as I run my system as clean as possible anyway. I use a different PC for all my web, email, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's not a case of not having enough free memory as I removed a chunk of objects from the scene in 8.5 and saved them in a new scene. I then loaded the reduced size scene into 9.3.1 and "loaded from scene" the missing bits. I managed to get it all loaded and rendered a frame fine, but as soon as I saved the complete scene, quit lightwave, restarted windows and tried to load it back into 9.3.1 I had the same problem.

It just seems that it can't manage to load the whole lot in one go! Loading the scene in two chunks is not going to be a viable option as I need to render it across my 10 PC renderfarm due to the animation being 3400 frames long at approx. 10 mins a frame!!

It looks like my only option is to go back to 8.5

Just curious:

Have you tried breaking it into 2 or 3 objects, importing them one at a time, and then set the display subpatch level to "0" (or "1" at most) and possibly hide part of it?

It's not one large object, it's about a thousand objects ranging from a few k (eg. bolts) up to a few megs (eg. engine block, cylinder head) each. Also there are very few subpatched objects (about 6, and they aren't very heavy), they are mostly standard polygonal objects, so I don't think that is the issue here.

Personally, I think it is a bug in the software. I'm just hoping it will be fixed in 9.5. This scene will be the first thing I try to load when the open beta starts.

I just loaded this scene up in LW 8.5 again and just realised that the object memory is only 240 Meg !

The one time I managed to load it all into 9.3.1 (by loading it in 2 chunks) the object memory was over 400 Meg !!!! It's the same models! What is going on? There has to be some sort of memory leak error in Lightwave.

Stuff
    If you are using subdivision surfaces you could try lowering the subd level to 1 - leave the render subpatch level at 3 or whatever but it takes less memory to view your models this way.
    Andrewstopheles

Ok, I just loaded up the 9.5 beta and the problem is exactly the same as in 9.2 and 9.3!

I have submitted a bug report, so let's hope I can get this looked at before 9.5 is released.

W.Bush avatar deleted
    time for a 64 bit system with scenes like that

your life will be soooo easier with 64 bit no more tweaking thru the nite with the associated stress

just creation without the tool related problems!
    ---------------
    These days, Lightwave's basically just a platform for running plugins.

Make certain that the 3GB switch is set (on) in your boot.ini of your XP System. If it is not, you will have problems with the 9.x versions of LW and large scenes/objects. If it is not set, edit the boot ini to add it and then re-boot. If it is, then it does not look good for your then.

Cheers

I still think it may be a bug in the loading code!

How else can it be that I can load the whole lot in two chunks, using 'Load items from scene' and render out a frame?

It maybe an image loading bug, where objects that use the same image/tex are loaded into mem multiple times on standard load. Where LFS checks if image is loaded and doesn't reload or if already there.

I have seen this behavior before.

64bit -> more RAM -> Happier user

I know everyone keeps on about 64 bit, and if it was just a case of getting a new workstation it wouldn't be a problem!

Where this falls down is that I have a small renderfarm of 10 rackmount PCs for rendering as most of the stuff I do these days has long frame render times (10 mins and up) and usually there are thousands of frames.

I simply cannot afford to update my workstation plus 10 other PCs in one hit.

It's especially annoying that if I 'downgrade' to 8.5 everything works fine.