Thread: Motion Mixer - rotate offset?

Motion Mixer - rotate offset?

Hi all,

I want to move a character with motion mixer. The character is made for a game engine, so all the action takes place at the world center, but I'll add some Z movement in the walk and run cycles before I'll create the actor in motion mixer. I would like to have the Z movement inside the actor, because I think it's easier and more accurate (slipping feets).

(However, I don't know if it's a good idea to have that movement inside the actor... it could be a wrong approach)

What I want to do is let the character run along a curved path with slopes.

My idea is to use motion mixer and it's offset editor to move the character, but I have no good idea how to change the path of the character in a curve or when it runs up or down a slope.
    "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day." "It MUST come sometimes to "jam to-day,"" Alice objected.

My stuff at YouTube

Ok, as far as I understand it, I can use the custom character offset to change the direction in which the character is moving. But to do this, I need a motion in which the character starts moving towards the positive Z direction and turns either left or right.

So I would need additional motions to turn the character into another direction. Same for animations moving on a slope.

The other way would be to use only the bones of the character as an actor, and move the object of the character along a path animation.

Ideas, comments, anybody?
    "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day." "It MUST come sometimes to "jam to-day,"" Alice objected.

My stuff at YouTube

Excuse me for thinking loud, but... is there no way to clone an actor in a way that makes some sense?

I've made a test with 2 actors, where actor 2 is just a copy of actor one, and loaded all motions of actor 1 into actor 2. I end up with a scene that's about 92 Mb big. That's the same as if I use load from scene for actor 2.

That's for a character with only 25 bones....

The source scene with all the animations (baked legs) is about 2 Mb.

The scene with 1 actor is ... 47 Mb. And the scene with 2 actors is now at 92 Mb. Why is that? Doesn't make sense to me. I could understand that the scene with one actor is somewhat bigger than the source scene; for some arcane internal reasons. But it doesn't make any sense that the two actors that are (or should be) identical need a scene that's twice as big as one alone.

Edit: GOSH! WTF?

I took a look at the .hmot files - all of them are exactly 2002 Kb in size, allthough the animations vary greatly in length - which would mean that Motion Mixer allways saves ALL data into a .hmot file, regardless of the frame range given for a motion !!
    Last edited by Dirk; 03-15-2008 at 04:56 AM.

My stuff at YouTube

I just realize that it is not that stupid to save more keyframes in the .hmot file than what is defined as the motion.

The point is that a keyframe outside of the actual motion can influence the look of an animation, even if only a small part of the animation shall be defined as a motion.

Think about a walk loop, for example. Let's say the loop has 21 frames, from 0 to 20. In frame 0 and 20, the character has exactly the same pose, as usual. With motion mixer, You wouldn't want to include either frame 0 or 20, since it would look as if the walk cycle would stop for 1 frame in a loop. But to define the motion, both frames are needed. So they are included in the .hmot-file.

But in the case of a ready-made character for a realtime engine, where the scene contains all possible motions at once, it's a little bit too much...

...just sayin'

My stuff at YouTube

Had an interesting error... so to say.

I defined motions for another actor, but this one was animated with 25 fps - the first with 30 fps... Motion Mixer doesn't like that, I can't use both actors in one scene. The frame rate of the actors motion has to be the same as the scene in general, or the motions won't play properly.

My stuff at YouTube

Narf! Another Quirk: Motion Mixer doesn't like enumerated bones!

So bone (1), bone (2), etc. aren't saved in the .hmot file. They need to have discrete names - the silly thing is, the problem happens when saving the .hmot file. A freshly defined motion works fine. You won't notice this error until You try to load a motion.

Problems like this can really kill a whole days work...

My stuff at YouTube

.... just a little preview:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Momix_076.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	55955  

My stuff at YouTube

My stuff at YouTube