Thread: How to delete an existing material

How to delete an existing material

Hi,

although I am not a newcomer with LW I never found a way to delete an existing material in the material editor (F5). Did I overlook something? Is there a special tool for that?

Regards,
    Frank

you can't "delete" materials/surfaces. You need to make sure the surface you want to delete doesn't exist anymore on you model, then it disappears automatically.

I think I had actually found it in the manual somewhere also. Like 3DGFX said, make sure that no surface is assigned to the name of the material for which you want to remove, save your model, close it, then re-open it. The material should no longer be in your list.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

... to be more specific:
    Turn on all layers.
    Hit 'w' to open the inspector.
    Under surfaces , chose the material you want to delete (if nothing is assigned to it it will not appear in the list).
    Press the plus symbol to select any elements that still ahve that surface.
    Assign them a different surface (q).
    Save/close/re-open file (maybe there is another way to refresh, never looked).
    Marvel at your (1) material-less model.

Keep in mind that if a material is not assigned, LW will throw it away when you next close the file (unlike 3dsMAX). Add the material to your Surface library (hit s when the material editor is open) if you want to keep it.

j.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB