Thread: FBX Merge Problems

Question FBX Merge Problems

Hey!

If anyone can lend a hand or suggest anything that would be really appreciated.

I have just used 3D Dave skeleton and setup my character, exported it to motion builder and applied some motion capture data sucessfuly.

I now need to get it back into lightwave and Im struggling which is bad because Im on a deadline.

I have tried selecting the FBX_ROOT and plotting the animation in motionbuilder then "save selection" to an FBX file. I then open the lightwave layout file i originaly exported my skeleton FBX file. Then I use the FBX plugin to merge the scene with the fbx file i plotted etc in.

Now Ive done this but nothing in my layout scene seems to change, do I need to assign this animtion data to my model or something? Im totaly stuck on this.

If I need to explain anything else or provide screen shots etc please just let me know.

Thanks
    Matt

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Just select the character in the scene browser, choose 'plot' i it says "plot to skeleton" then the saved data is good to go.
    If it says "plot to control rig", you'll need to plot a second time so it goes to skeleton then save.
    Then simply open layout, load the 'setup' character scene, select the reference null (not actually sure this is required but I do it anyhoo), then choose merge FBX and select your file.

I've found that once this is done, it is sometimes required to select the reference, switch to rotate mode and zeroise the rotation of the null so the character is pointing in the right direction.

If you need any further help, pester away, I did a shed load of stuff for the Shirow Project with this workflow.
    Too old to die young.

Hey thanks so much!

I have a few questions just to make sure I have things spot on.

When you say choose "plot" where do I find that? What Ive tried using is "Plot All(All properties)" which is in the "Key controls" window under "animation" drop down. I couldnt see anything about plotting to skeleton am I missing something here?

Ok, now, I'm using 5.5 here so bear with me if things are not where I say in your version.

In the scene browser in MB, under 'characters, if you expand that and double-click the character you've created, (it may actually be called 'character'), then select the character settings tab.
    There, you should see a 'plot character' option.
    Last edited by colkai; 01-29-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Too old to die young.

Ok cool I tried that and merged again but still my character model doesnt move nor the bones in layout. I dont have a "reference null" could that be my problem?

Possibly.
    Setup your character in LW, (don't forget the parenting of the hips).
    Add a null, call it reference, parent your character to that, (I'm assuming your mesh and skeleton are in the same layer).
    Export this to MB, characterise. create a story track, drop a motion on it.
    Then go through the process I outlined above - it *should* work as I do it a lot. If not, we can step through it.
    If you're on Skype or msn, you can get hold of me there for a more direct natter.
    Too old to die young.

Ok starting over a bit and follwing what youve said to make sure I have everything sorted.

When you say create a story track can you explain a bit more?

Usualy I import an actor i prepared earlier with the mocap data and then set the character controls to use the actor. Is that the wrong way?

Ahh, yep, that will be having something to do with it.
    I normally load up just a characterised version of the model/rig from LW, then go to the story window, add a character track, then drop a clip into the track for plotting.
    I'll see if I can knock up a quick example after tea, for you to follow.
    Too old to die young.

Thats fantastic, thanks again for the help

I added you to msn also if thats easier, my email includes mattadamson so you know who it is

ok, sorry I didn't get chance tonight - will definitely try tomorrow.
    Too old to die young.

No worries I appreciate your efforts

Hey thanks for your response, thing is Im working with C3D files that I captured from a vicon system. Is there a way to convert to BVH or can I just use the same process on the C3D files?

Hey thanks but colkai has given me a hand now to get it working