Thread: Mirror tool in Layout

Newbie Member

Mirror tool in Layout

I have puzzled over this long enough and have tried without success to find a satisfactory answer to the questions,

a) Does the mirror tool in layout actually "do what it says on the box"?

b) If so how does it work?

c) and further more how does the user control it to acheive the desired result, i.e. and object mirrored rather than rotated or just cloned in situ?

I would be grateful for any replies even if it just a resounding "No it doesn't work as it should".
    Then at least I will know not to waste anymore of my time trying to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by simno
    I have puzzled over this long enough and have tried without success to find a satisfactory answer to the questions,

a) Does the mirror tool in layout actually "do what it says on the box"?

b) If so how does it work?

c) and further more how does the user control it to acheive the desired result, i.e. and object mirrored rather than rotated or just cloned in situ?

I would be grateful for any replies even if it just a resounding "No it doesn't work as it should".
    Then at least I will know not to waste anymore of my time trying to figure it out.

Yes it works but honestly I don't think too much about it.

I select the polys or select nothing to mirror the whole thing.
    I press shift+V and draw a line which will be 'the mirror'.
    I press Enter when done.

Is that what's happening on your end?

Moder or Layout?

You said Layout. In layout it just mirrors across the axis you define. Either an object at it's position at frame 0 or an object following it's keyframes which animates the mirror, or simply across the user-defined XYZ axis and center. There are no controls other than that.

In Modeler is works as it should, but it takes a little finesse, or you can use the numeric input for better control. There is no rotation, only a mirror.

Newbie Member
    rdolishny:
    Thanks for your reply, but it's Layout that I have an issue with not modeller. I'm cool with the mirror tool in Modeller.

Surrealist:
    In Layout I have only tried it using the user defined XYZ axis.
    It seems that Layout clones the object and mirrors it's location across the axis and 0,0,0 origin but does not truly mirror the object.

I have tested with a non symetrical object, a block in an 'L' shape, and it appears the same in both instances not mirrored.

Thank you, I think I understand now.

This poses another question.
    Is there a method of truly creating a mirror image of an object in Layout, with out going back to Modeller as this doubles the geometry in your object folder?

Anyone? Anyone?.....

Yeah-mirror seems to just rotate the object unless im very much mistaken.

However if you then transform the size by -1 you effectively turn it inside out- this gives you mirrored geometry. Just make sure your surfaces are double sided otherwise it wont render correctly!

This is my work around-i dont know if there is an easier way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirror.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	55469  
    Last edited by Otterman; 03-06-2008 at 03:57 AM.

Newbie Member
    That'll do for me Otterman, cheers.

Now that you say it, it seems so simple.

It's a shame though that a work around is necessary, if the tool did what it's name suggests, there would be no need.

I think you just have to understand that you are in Layout which is used for animation. The word mirror can be misunderstood here. You are not applying a mirror to the object itself but rather to it's position and orientation.

If you look at the position of the object, it's location and orientation when it is cloned using the mirror tool, the tool does exactly as it suggests from an animation perspective and its motion is mirrored.

Since animation is taking into account only the pivot point of the object or bone or element in the scene, there is nothing other than a single point that is actually being mirrored. Therefor the appearance that the object is rotated. It is not rotated at all. All that is happening is that the motion path is mirrored.

If you create a motion path for the object and then use the Clone/Mirror tool you will see this. If you use the other options you will see the use of mirroring paths around different objects or elements in the scene.

So now imagine if the mirror tool actually messed with the geometry here, you would have havoc in an animation scene.

Lets say you wanted two objects that need to remain as they were created to have the path mirrored so that they duplicate the motion across a given axis, if the mirror tool actually flipped the geometry you would not have the result you are looking for as the lettering or any elements such as the driver side of a car or airplane would now be reversed, not to mention any other distinguishing geometry.

If you want to mirror an object, do it in modeler. The file size of the object is not an issue since it will still take up the same amount of RAM in layout if cloned.