Thread: Animation: Gala 2007

Animation: Gala 2007

Rendered in LightWave 9.x with Vue 6 xStream on a Mac.

See my post here for the full animation.

Daniel
    Last edited by precedia; 02-16-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Heffalump
    There's something about the lighting that I'm not keen on - an overlit, plastic-like feel to the image. It might be intended, though.

The shadow flow is also...odd and overly sharp. Shadow maps or the spinning light trick might help.
    Inactive.

Phil, I agree with you. I will try your spinning light trick in a future animation to see how it performs. In this case there is one spotlight for the scene, and rather artificial as you note.

I ran into 2 problems with this animation sequence: 1) when I darkened the scene to have more night-time ambiance, then projected on my rear-projection outdoor screen, it was too dark to see and the test subjects complained, so I brightened the entire scene (artificially, which you immediately noticed), and 2) render time.

For renders I had to stay away from area lights because of render time (although they give great soft shadows), and minimize not only the number of lights but anti-aliasing. This frame suffers AA issues, with only PLD-2 used (ugh! way too low). Anything more in the AA department and per-frame render times pushed the animation sequence render > 25 days.

I had > 14,400 frames to render, so it was a real struggle given a limited render farm; well, no render farm really, just 2 machines and the month of September.

But I never did perform the spinning light test to see if the per-frame render times are reasonable. Thanks for that tip.

It would be interesting to run a test just on this single frame with either spinning lights or an area light.

Thanks for the feedback.